A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,147
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Moving jean back pocket placement for better tush!  (Read 1061 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Andromache

Obsessed with crafts and never satisfied

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2012 11:41:40 AM »

Hey all,
I was going to put this in the completed projects forum, but I have no pictures of my tush yet!

I have been on pinterest for a while, and some of the posts describe how to pick jeans that suit your derriere.
Basically, jean pockets on even the most popular brands (I'm looking at you Gap) aren't properly placed for anyone larger than a size 4. They are always placed too wide, on an angle, and too high.

Just to clarify, I'm a size 10. I have thrifted jeans (the Sweetheart type) from Old Navy (not sure how old they are, I have two pairs and they vary in length).

I took one pair that was a bit short, and made them skinny. I also took in the waist to a 10 (from 12) since they are so stretchy after a day wearing them. I did this by sewing up the sides only (no darts in the back or any of that nonsense..I did it before and it was too complicated for me!).

Now for the fun part. I removed the pockets in the back carefully. I stitched a pattern onto the pockets..they were plain before. Stitching will improve the look of your tush. I did a simple double V (almost an X) shape with dark yellow thread.

When I reattached the pockets I staired long and hard in the mirror with pins and my derriere. Lots of fun here hahaha.

General placement for the pockets: They should be sewn on straight, so that the pockets line up with the center back seam...most low quality jeans have these on an angle. 
They should also be closer to the seam than before (I moved them to start about 1.5 inches from the seam on either side).
I also moved them lower by ~1.5 to 2 inches. Very important!! Most mom type jeans put the pockets too high, which creates a long bum. You do not have a longer bum now than you did 15 years ago! That's just your jeans!
So the pocket tip at the bottom should end somewhere at the end of your bum, or where your bum connects to your leg. This might look a little funny if your jeans are high waisted, and if you wear them without a belt. Just try it out while pinned and see what you like best.

Then I just topstitched them in place!

The only problem is I have shadows of where the pockets use to be, since the fabric here is darker (hasn't been worn out). I may bleach the jeans and dye them a mint colour, or I may just try to lighten the specific area with a diluted solution.

If I take pictures I'll let you know, but for a 4$ pair of jeans I've had for a few years, they certainly look better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012 05:03:43 AM »

I would love to see pictures. I didn't know any of this!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Art History Classes Inform Graphic Arts Education
How an Art Mentor Affects the Development of an Artist
Architect Winka Dubbeldam in London
UberPrints Review
Lee Mindel on His Creative Process
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!
Meatless Monday: Marinated Pasta Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...