A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Adventures in starting a craft business  (Read 2852 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chris in VT
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012 04:04:07 AM »

Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's NOTHING at a craft show, or on Etsy, anybody NEEDS. NOTHING.
www.shadypinestudio s.com
Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012 09:28:37 AM »

Business Cards!

After a small delay caused by my printer crapping out, I finally have business cards.  I just kept it simple and put my logo and contact info on the front.  I used my hand-carved logo stamps to make a background (stamped them on a sheet of paper, scanned that, then used my computer to re-colour and re-size).

I used business card sheets by Avery that I bought at Staples.  I would recommend them.  They worked really easily and they have perfectly clean edges.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
Antidigger
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012 12:18:04 PM »

They look smart, very stylish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
Terri@taskforce4u.com
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012 05:22:38 PM »

Good job!  I too tried to use the font you wanted at first for your logo, mine was going to be done in vinyl....not a cool font for vinyl either.  It's a sharp font, but like you decided it was not a "professional" type of font.  I love the stamp, I never thought about that and the paper bags.  Looking forward to reading more on how things are going.

Great job so far! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012 08:56:16 AM »

I have been working on stock for the craft show and doing some research (mostly for booth set-up).  I have a pile of unfinished pine furniture in my garage and some illustrations, and very little else to show for the work I've been doing.  I've been doing some test my crafting materials to make sure there will be no disasters before I set about mass producing.  It's been slow, but I think that taking my time now will enable me to bust out some good products quickly (er... 'efficiently' is probably a better word than 'quickly') over the next few weeks.

Despite growing fears that I've jumped in too quickly, I think its good that I have a deadline.  Pressure is motivation.

Some pics of whats on my desk these days:

Sketches.  The wood panel won't end up as a final product, just using it as a test of materials to make sure that all the products I'm using are compatible - won't degrade each other, cause bleeding, running, etc.

This is an in-progress panel that will be the back of a storage bench.  Most of the colouring is done, I need to start on the outlining/ hatching work. (Think similar to the bird in the pic above.)

More sketches for storage benches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
TwistMySister
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012 04:34:46 AM »

im going through all the same adventures and am glad youre posting on yours, your illustrations look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/On-The-Front-Line/175858075802771

http://www.etsy.com/shop/OnTheFrontLine
blackabbey
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012 07:58:30 PM »

Firstly, I would like to say great work so far.

A few suggestions that came to my mind
I am not sure about the trading name laws in Canada (where I assume you are posting from, given your user name Smiley) but have you looked in to the possibility/requirement of lodging or registering your business name with the government? I only ask because I know here in Australia you are not legally allowed to trade under a name unless it is registered with the Australian Business Register. May not be relevant to you, but worth checking just in case.

Secondly, if your panel you have pictured does work well, why not sell it as a final piece? Add a wooden frame to it (or make one if you are handy with a saw) and sell it as a nursery decoration. You would still be keeping with a similar theme of hand painted, but would be expanding your potential customer base to new families (younger audience) and grandparents (older audience) with the same sort of pieces, and would also be able to make more of these to add, as the production value is relatively low.

Hope this helps, and definitely keep us updated Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Budge-Proof Makeup in 3 Easy Steps
Top 5 Winter Makeup Trends
How to Wear Bright Lipstick
Quick Tips for a Polished and Professional Makeup
Easy Mirror-Free Makeup Touch-Ups
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...