A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,784
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Axl Rose rockin' it in yarn!  (Read 4311 times)
Tags for this thread: afghan , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: September 03, 2012 09:12:17 PM »

Wow, I haven't been on here in like... forever. I've made a ton of stuff, but right now my proudest achievement is my Axl Rose afghan!  Grin I saw the cool picture afghans made by pixieval and peskypixie and the idea just wouldn't leave my head. I HAD to make a picture afghan! It took all of about... oh, ten seconds to decide who to do. We're a little obsessed with Axl in my house ever since my 4 yr old started wearing a bandana 24/7 back in May (more of that story on my second blog in my siggy).

My only other Tunisian crochet project up to this point was a colossal failure (had to rip it out and just do it in regular crochet). So why not choose something huge and complicated? lol Once I learned how to do the color changes so they wouldn't gap, it actually turned out to be pretty straightforward.  I photoshopped the photo to smooth out the colors and erase the tattoos because they were just indeterminate blobs. Sorry, Axl.  Sad I used knitpro2.0 like some other people have suggested to graph the photo.

I'm really happy with how he turned out! The only thing that bugs me is that I messed up a bit on the border along the top and bottom -- added too many stitches, which makes it all ruffly. Oh well. We'll pretend that's a design element.

Nothing quite makes my heart stop in its tracks to hear my 6 and 4 yr old daughters arguing, "I want to sleep with Axl!" "No, it's my turn to sleep with Axl!" It's just... so... wrong! haha I told them it doesn't matter anyways, because I get to sleep with Axl. So now they're pestering me to make them their own Axl afghans. It was really fun to do, so I'm sure there will be more.

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012 04:55:28 AM »

This is awesome! Totally recognizable.

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm so squishy!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012 06:23:03 AM »

I've never used the "This Rocks" button, but I just did!

This looks EXACTLY like Axl Rose!  In yarn!

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl (my personal pinterest)
http://Pinterest.com/LadybuggirlCrafts (my business pinterest-click on banner in right corner)
I'm on instagram:  ladybuggirlcrafts

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012 08:43:10 AM »

This is very very cool!!! Also hit this rocks! Can't wait to see more from you!

To look at a lot more of my stuff check out my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/hookinmouthcrochet87!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012 10:06:50 AM »

Thanks so much!  Cheesy

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012 01:38:39 AM »

Turned out great! I admire the quality of your graph, and wow, do your stitches look good! Wink
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012 10:20:54 AM »

So awesome! Great job, I wish I had the patience to do something like this.

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012 06:55:41 AM »

Love it!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012 03:53:37 PM »

hahaha so wrong that yoru kiddies want him for bed time Smiley  Great work - good on you!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012 03:45:28 PM »

Thanks, everybody! Smiley

Spikefan -- Y'know, amazingly, I don't think it took any longer than it would have to do a regular afghan. Plus, it was kind of fun to watch the picture appear. Although, I have to admit that I was having my doubts when I got up to his right hand (I worked from the bottom up) -- it looked like weird, alien fingers! Dh told me to keep plugging away and once I got up past Axl's wrist, it was all starting to look better.

Ninaprettyballerina -- I know! lol They also want dolls. The 4 yr old (well, she just had a birthday, so now she's 5) drew an Axl paper doll back in May and keeps it by her pillow. He's looking a little worse for the wear. haha

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Visit to Chef and the Farmer Restaurant
The North Carolina Relish Expo
Sioux City Jam Preserves
Grilling Tools from Sioux City
A Visit to Jolly Time Popcorn Factory
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...