A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
470 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Red floral princess line dress  (Read 7940 times)
Tags for this thread: dress , craftster_best_of_2012  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Maimy
« on: September 01, 2012 06:08:08 AM »

I've previously used this fabric for the lining of this dress (which I wear all the freaking time, by the way). I knew I wanted to make something special with what was left of it, and this is the result. I'm really pleased with it, I already have plans to wear it to friends' weddings later in the year, before it makes the occasional winter daywear appearance over a long-sleeved black jersey tunic. I get a bit excited thinking about my cold-weather wardrobe.  Cheesy Is that weird?

So in the past, I've used commercial patterns or existing patterns to help me make a garment. This time, I was a little more ambitious and used the basic bodice slopers from the back of a book called "How to Use, Adapt and Design Sewing Patterns" by Lee Hollahan. It's a pretty useful book.

I traced out the slopers, created toile #1, converted the darts into princess line seams (I love the fit you get with these), created toile #2, altered the neckline and improved the fit for toile #3, then extended the bodice panels to create a full length dress for toile #4, and took my final pattern from toile #5. Or something like that. Old bedsheets and good old Dora (the dress form) were very helpful in this process.

Then, last Monday, it was time to cut. I had intended to spend a couple of hours working on it then do some "proper" work, but seven hours later I had a finished dress and no bank holiday daylight left. Oops.  Wink

There's facing around the neckline and bias binding to finish the armholes. All the horizontal edges were overlocked before sewing. The binding, facing and hem are all finished by hand so there's no visible stitches when the dress is worn. I knew I didn't want to line this dress, so for inspiration I kept referring to a collection of vintage dresses a friend gave me. (Most of them are homemade 50s beauties Cheesy)

In the left side seam is a concealed zip -- it's slightly faulty, it was taken from another garment as it seemed to be broken but days later I discovered it actually still works, it just needs a gentle hand! By some awesome coincidence it was the perfect colour and length for this dress, meaning that I didn't have to spend a single penny to make it. Yay! Unfortunately this was the most frustrating part of the construction. I don't struggle with concealed zips on my industrial machine at work, but the foot on my domestic machine at home is tricky to line up properly. I still haven't finished the bottom end of it properly, but shh, no one needs to know...

I added my label and a little bit of skull trim to the facing, mostly so I could identify the back of the garment quicker   Tongue

And there we have it! It's much less detailed than previous garments I've made despite the fact that I'm an embellishment junkie, but that's because I just wanted the fabric to shine. The One Thing I would change is the back - ideally the back skirt panels would be wider so that it would drape more like the front, but I just didn't have enough fabric to bulk it out any more. But nevermind!

Thanks for looking! Questions, C&C are all welcome  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maimy x
Etsy | Facebook | Twitter
Ashling
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012 07:37:36 AM »

Beautiful!  I love that fabric, where did you get it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susanab
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012 07:42:29 AM »

wow! that is wonderful and it fits you fantastically.
next call you should make?
"Hello, Project Runway...?"
truly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my photo blog:
nysnaps.blogspot.co m
indigo_roses
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012 08:02:25 AM »

It's absolutely gorgeous, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
loveforart
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012 08:11:43 AM »

That is gorgeous!! I wish I had the sewing ability to do that! Amazing! Great job. It looks great on you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chrystal Midori
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012 09:23:27 AM »

Oh. My. Goodness. This is gorgeous!!! I hoped to someday be able to sew and create like you did with this dress. Love love LOVE the fabric choice! If I made something like this, I too would wear it all the time. Great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012 11:45:14 AM »

Nice work. The princess line style shows off the fabric beautifully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012 12:28:15 PM »

I agree: the princess lines are perfect for this fabric and no embellishing allows it to take center stage. It's gorgeous! I love your plan to wear it with a tunic. No sense in keeping this beauty hung up in the closet. Congratulations on your sloper work too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012 04:23:18 PM »

O.M.G. wonderful work   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
garoons
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012 11:19:13 PM »

Wow, it's beautiful and very flattering!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Embroidered Oscar De La Renta Floral Dress
Why Kate Middleton Is Best-Dressed
Rey-Hanna Vakili on Denim Fashion
Jane Herman Bishop on Denim Jeans
5 Clever Ways to Remove Gum From Your Clothing
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...