A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,459
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Patons kroy socks NEED HELP  (Read 904 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

frogprincess
« on: September 01, 2012 02:19:20 AM »

im learning to knit and i am working on my very first pair of socks and following the Patons  Next step four socks and slippers basic sock pattern for yarn weight super fine. The problem i have encountered is that im  starting on the heel of the sock  and the pattern is a bit confusing.  It says *SL1P.K1. Rep from * to last st. K1. This confuses me. does it mean that i slip a pearl stitch and then knit 1 and then slip another pearl stitch and then knit 1 intill the end of the row where i knit a extra stitch. Or does it mean slip one and then knit till the end of the row .

i really want to do this right because if i screw up i haven't learnt to pull out the stitches properly and then end up frogging the whole work. I don't want to do that the 5th time.\

Please Help

Tanya
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012 02:29:45 AM »

I think they mean to slip one stitch purl-wise, meaning when you go to slip the stitch, insert your needle as if you were going to purl. If you were to slip the stitch knit-wise, the stitch would twist when you knit the next row. It's not a huge structural issue, more an aesthetic one. Twisted stitches have their uses, just not in the pattern you're working with Cheesy If you run into a pattern that just says to slip a stitch, assume they mean purl-wise, to prevent twisted stitches.

Good luck with your socks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frogprincess
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012 03:43:48 AM »

thank you alexus that did help a bit but what i am confused about is where to continue the pattern . Am i slipping a stitch and then knitting 1 or am i slipping a stitch and then knitting all the way across.

i think  part of the problem was that i somehow equated slipping a stitch to dropping a stitch. silly late night brain. Anyway when you are slipping a stitch it is just being transferred to the other needle . so would it be essentially slip stitch to next needle . knit 1. slip a stitch to the next needle. knit 1. till the last stitch?

Tanya
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012 03:48:38 AM by frogprincess » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandyandbingley
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012 07:19:02 AM »

"*SL1P.K1. Rep from * to last st. K1" Means you repeat whatever stitches are between the "**", in this case you'll keep doing SL1P, K1, until you come to the very last stitch. You knit that last stitch.

And slipping the stitch just means transferring it to the other needle without working it, you aren't dropping it. It will still be on your needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frogprincess
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012 03:26:03 PM »

thank you so much  Smiley it is alot clearer now

Tanya 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mossie
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012 05:06:30 AM »

Sounds like you're turning the heel.  This is the bit that confused the heck out of me with my first sock.  It was about ten years ago and I couldn't find what it meant online.  I didn't realize that turning the heel literally meant turning the sock around like one does when knitting flat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Puffers and Steam Sticks for Glass Blowing
Glass Blowing: How to Use Jacks and Pacioffis
Glass Blowing: Using Diamond and Straight Shears
Glass Blowing: How to Prepare Newspaper for Heat Protection
How to Marver Glass
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...