A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Aisling from The Secret of Kells  (Read 1733 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tatterhood

I have a wooden spoon!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2012 11:13:31 AM »

This year I went to a con called Cos & Effect, a cosplay, costume, alternate-clothing and special-effects makeup convention. I have not worn a costume to a con in quite a while, so this year I went all out - and wore 5 (4 of which were brand new!). So, this is costume #1.

The Secret of Kells is a truly beautiful movie, and when I saw it, I wanted to cosplay the faerie Aisling. Originally I was going to make her outfit out of leftover fabric from my Tatterhood (linen) and Donnie Darko (faux fur) costumes. I tweeted Tomm Moore, the main man behind the film, about her outfit and discovered all of it was supposed to be made of fur. I did not have nearly enough material leftover from DD to make everything, so after thinking it over and looking at my options, I ended up buying an old "cutter coat" off of ebay.

Out came the lining! Off came the sleeves. On came the cat!

I wanted the dress to be "Dark Age-y", so no zippers or buttons (or even lacing, for that time!). I used McCalls 6465, and tweaked it so it was as tight as it could be, but still allowed me to pull it on over my head. I had to make it tight because fur is so fluffy, and in turn makes you look...fluffy. I reused my leftover TH linen for the lining, and used the lining as a pattern for the dress (simply by tracing it onto the fur).

The boots/leg warmers were not as medieval-y as I wished they were. I tried lacing them. Then velcro. A zipper was even considered. Eventually I put elastic in the tops of them - and after a while, they still fell down! My calves are non-existent, so I ended up pinning them to the tights I wore. I attached a bit of velcro to the tip of my shoes and the leg warmer, to prevent them from flopping around when I walked.

So, after some body paint, a 6-foot-long white wig and some big ol' fake eyebrows, my costume was complete!

I was pleasantly surprised with how many people recognized her. And though it's a bit warm to wear, I'd like to wear it again, maybe for Halloween or a fall convention. (Though the makeup was a pain. It was alcohol-based body ink, so while it looks great and stays put, removing it is unpleasant, and it really dries your skin out!)

Now all I need are some wolves. Or at least a white cat.

Thanks for looking! More pics can be found here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Portfolio & Blog
Games that I make for iPhone & iPad!
And I wasn't kidding about that spoon!
spaz2phreek
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012 06:00:51 PM »

Very cool... It's super satisfying when you are something not quite mainstream and people actually get it.

Alcohol-based body ink....never heard of it. Was considering doing a black 'n' white pin up girl costume but couldn't figure out a good way to do the skin. Will make a note about that stuff, in case I do that costume some other time.....And that I need to buy lots of goof lotion for afterwards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
Tatterhood

I have a wooden spoon!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012 06:24:55 PM »

It was nice when people recognize it Cheesy and still pretty neat when people asked for a photograph, even when they didn't know who she was (it just looked cool to them!)

I'm not entirely sure if I would recommend alcohol-based airbrush makeup...it went on well, it looks great, and it lasts, but there are some unfortunately downsides to it! It dries out your skin, and it makes *all* of your body hair stand up and be apparent! You don't realize how "hairy" humans are until you use it - and those invisible fine baby hairs are suddenly noticeable everywhere!

I'll keep using it (as a have a big bottle of it) but maybe consider looking into PAX makeup.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Portfolio & Blog
Games that I make for iPhone & iPad!
And I wasn't kidding about that spoon!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sherry Lansing: A Third Chapter
Sherry Lansing: When a Movie Fails
Sherry Lansing: Pioneer Studio Executive & Philanthropist
Sherry Lansing: True Love at 47
Sherry Lansing: The Choice to Work and Be Single
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...