A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
763 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How can I personalize the top of clear pin boxes?  (Read 955 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MinnieMay9
« on: August 29, 2012 09:04:40 PM »

My friend's mom works at a quilting shop and they go through a ton of pins.  I heard they were just throwing out the plastic boxes that they come in.  I was horrified to hear this!
His mother now saves them for me.  For the longest time I had no idea what to do with them, but recently I had an idea.  I was thinking that I could personalize the top and give them away as little boxes for people to hold what-ever they want in.
The boxes are like the ones here: http://www.roserushbrooke.com/dritz-xf-glass-head-pins.html
I was thinking of designing the main part on the computer and then gluing it on to the plastic, in the little recessed area in the middle.  I could also add rhinestones and glitter and all that fun stuff.
What glue should I use to make sure it will be clear to see the image and be flexible so it doesn't pop off when they use the box?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, use more glue!

Look Ma, I'm on Ravelry!
Feel free to check out my Etsy shop.

Creative for Charity ~My Charity Blog
Le-Chat
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012 05:17:54 AM »

Can't help you with the glue, just wanted to say great idea and good luck.

If they are flat enough to pass through the mailbox they would make great shipping containers for jewelrey or other small stuff as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Read about my t-2-t adventures and my own ecclectic way of recycling:
http://trashcollector.blogspot.com

Buy eco-friendly in my Etsy Shop:
http://LeChatCrochet.etsy.com
zadok
creative slacker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012 12:15:56 AM »

I don't know if it would work for these but you could look up a tut for decoupauge. I'm sure they'd mention the kind of glue they use in any case.

They might also be good for sorting beads or small office supplies like paper clips
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jill-of-most-trades, attempter of most Wink
~will do personal swaps~
https://pinterest.com/zadok1175/

http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php?n=2 Swap books for free! XD
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012 12:16:40 PM »

If there is a glue, then I would probably print your image, and seal it well, slightly smaller than the recessed groove area - maybe seal it by wrapping flat in clear packing tape on either side, making sure the edges are sealed well, trim to fit slightly smaller than the section, glue it in, then seal it over with a clear layer of resin.  If you layer the resin in stages (2 part would take longer, UV can be set in minutes), then you could add inclusions, such as glitter, charms, buttons, etc.  I would not add rhinestones or crystals IN the resin, as it would take away the facets and you just end up with what looks like an itty bitty coloured mirror.  HOWEVER, when the resin is dried and fully cured, you probably could carefully drill into it and glue chatons into the drilled out areas, or glue flat backs directly onto the surface with dots of 2 part epoxy (which was how I was taught by a Swarovski rep was the proper glue to use with solid surfaces).

Another thought, if you want to decorate the tops, without an image, but with items, is to press in an air drying 2 part epoxy clay, like Apoxie Sculpt, Apoxie Clay, Crystal Clay, or something like that, and either texture with stamps, or manually, apply colour with things like mica powder, and press in decorations, like chatons.  After it has dried, it could still be sculpted, painted, drilled etc, for further decoration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
usagicam
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012 12:25:35 AM »

if you dont want to use decopoge
Get yourself a bottle of glossy accents
its about 6 dollars at a local craft store.
Its a air drying plastic resin no mix no fuss, scrap bookers use it to give there stickers a bubble effect.
Pirnt a pic you want attach with a little glue add the glossy onto it wait about 24 hours to make sure its not tacky though this stuff drys quick. and it will look like its part of the box
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012 11:47:30 PM »

Mod Podge is the classic decoupage glue; dries clear, sticks to many surfaces, would definitely work for your project.
I find it stays a bit sticky sometimes, though, so when everything's done and dry, I spray with a clear finish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What to Expect From a Bristle Brush
How to Clean and Wash Paint Brushes
How to Take an Oil Painting Workshop
How to Use Color in Oil Painting
How to Keep Your Oil Painting Clean Looking
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...