A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to Make Your Own Pattern  (Read 3090 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , toys_challenge_8_tutorials  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

weebeasties
« on: August 29, 2012 06:42:33 PM »

Hi, my name is Gratia, and I love to sew. I am self taught, but I would love to show y'all how to make your own patterns. This is, of course, my way of doing things, but feel free to do it however you want. I'd love to see what you guys make, and I'm sorry for all the photos. I wanted to have a clear photo to document each step, but don't worry, it's not complicated, just time consuming. Thanks!

I will be making a capybara, and the finished project looks like this:

1) Find a photo on the internet. Find several. The main one should be a clear side profile, and you should also have at least one view of it's head.
http://www.cryptomundo.com/wp-content/uploads/the-capybara.jpg  Side Profile
http://th01.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2010/183/9/2/9266f7ea9ae7ad3794132fec16cb9577.jpg

2) Print out the side profile and cut it out. You may need to draw the rest of it's legs/feet if they are obscured by grass or whatever. Again, the interwebs is your friend and use lots of reference pictures. This is your side body pattern.

3) Mark on the white side where you want the stomach/head gusset to start and end.

4) Now this is the tricky bit. Take the long edge of a plain piece of paper, and your side body pattern. Starting at the mark for the end of the gusset (butt), line it up to the edge of the paper. Then, with your pencil, mark both the pattern and the paper. You will mark where the pattern stops touching the paper. Rotate the pattern a little bit until it touches the paper again, and make another mark on both pieces. Continue in this way, scooching and marking the flattish spots.

5) When you get to the leg, fold it up out of the way, mark the base of it, and continue.

6) Stop marking when you get to your final mark on the side body pattern. This is what you should have at the moment.

7) Measure the entirety of the marks on the piece of paper.

Cool Draw a line on the piece of paper the same length as your marks.

9) Figure out where you want your gusset to increase/decrease, and darken the marks that correspond on both the side body pattern and the marks on the edge of the paper.

10) Measure to the first mark, then draw a dash on the long line in the middle of the paper to the same length.

11) Figure out how wide you want it to be at that point, then cut that measurement in half. Draw a line from the dash perpendicular to the long line that correspons to that measurement.

12) Connect that line to the top of the long line. I don't like a perfect point, as it's harder to cut/sew, so I make it a blunt point.

13) Continue this way for each of the marks, increasing or decreasing as needed. Remember to half your measurements, and connect the lines. This is what you'll end up with.

14) Notice anything missing? That's right, he needs legs! Firstly, find the marks that correspond to the back leg. Measure down to the first mark, and then make a dash on the long line corresponding to that. Measure how far down the 2nd mark is, then make a dash on the line corresponding to that.

15) Draw parallel lines from both dashes, and line up the leg with that. Make sure it's facing the right direction, and trace.

16) Repeat for the front leg. This is what you should have so far. Fold it in half and cut it out.

17) Make the ear pattern if you need one.

YAY! Your pattern is done! Now on to actually cutting him and sewing him together.

Fabric:
I use felt. I organize my felt in a briefcase. I dropped my briefcase upside down. This is what happened:

Don't drop your fabric briefcase, kids.

So, on to the rest of the project.

Cutting your fabric:
1) Tape your pattern to the felt (I found at this scale that the pins were cumbersome and that the tape was easier) Cut out. You will need 2 side bodies, 1 gusset, and 2 ears.

Sewing it together:
I use blanket stitch to sew my creatures together, and because my pictures didn't turn out so hot, here's a link:
http://www.ushist.com/images/st_blank.gif

1) Pin and sew the side body to the gusset. The gusset might be a little bigger in some places, but that's an easy fix. The side body might not look like it will fit in someplaces, but trust me, it almost always does.

2) When you run out of thread, take your new thread and insert the needle to the front of the last stitch. Pull the thread through, but not all the way so the knot stays on the inside. This gives a cleaner transition.

4) When you get to the end of the gusset on the side body, pin on the second piece and sew until right above where the eye would be. It's now time to sew on the eye! (you can do this whenever you want but this is just the way I do it) Insert the needle where the eye would go, and add one sequin (or not, preference) and a bead. Pull the thread back through the sequin and down into the fabric right next to where it went it.

5) Time to sew the ear! Figure out where it goes, and whipstich (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XuMNBAc0pnc/T_7uSQUmQbI/AAAAAAAAF74/ImjWVmlrX88/s1600/whipstitch2.jpg) it on.

6) Sew to right above the back legs.

Now it's time to insert the wire.

1) Measure the front legs (or the back. it doesn't matter. pick a pair, either pair) with the wire. I use silver because it doesn't show through almost all colours. Cut the wire a little longer, curl the ends, and fold in half.

2) Insert into legs and repeat.

Stuffing:

1) Stuff the legs. Do this gently, and don't be too rough. You won't be able to get all the way down.

2) At this point, I like to make the hole a little bit smaller so it's easier to stuff.

3) Finish stuffing your animal. Be gentle, and use small bits of fluff. Go slowly so that you can keep it even. I love to stuff mine firmly. Sew closed the hole and tie off. Congratulations, you're done! It wasn't that hard, was it? Sometimes your pattern doesn't come out exactly as you want. Don't despair, figure out what went wrong, and go back, fix it, and try again.

Thanks for looking, I hope everything is clear, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twisted5whispers
Knit knit knit

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012 07:32:22 PM »

That is a wonderful tut! Wonderful little guy there!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in doing personal swaps! I can knit, crochet and sew. Smiley
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012 07:51:27 PM »

Fantastic tut! Adorable little guy, I love your stitching on him. I'm so glad you entered in the challenge such a fun project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
weebeasties
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012 06:05:00 PM »

Is it ok if I post this on the toys, dolls, and playthings general board?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012 01:05:55 PM »

Is it ok if I post this on the toys, dolls, and playthings general board?
After the challenge is over, all entries will be moved over! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Trekky

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012 05:51:14 AM »

Ahh! Great tutorial.  Capybaras are so cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012 01:40:51 AM »

Excellent tutorial.  He looks exactly like a capybara. Lovely project
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisakristene
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014 03:33:29 AM »

Awesome way to make a pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChellyWood

ChellyWood.com: Doll Patterns and Tutorials

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014 09:15:01 PM »

That was very informative. Who taught you how to make the gusset pattern? Did you invent that or did a grandparent teach you that method?

I'm just curious. My grandmother taught me nearly everything I know about sewing. That's why I ask. She taught me how to make stuffed animals, but her gussets were always guesswork.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ChellyWood.com: Doll Patterns and Tutorials
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 3/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 7/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 4/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 25/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 27/30
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...