A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 307,992
Currently Running With Scissors:
397 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Still a little confused about swaps... :(  (Read 1316 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Marigaki
« on: August 24, 2015 07:42:05 PM »

I'm sorry, but I'm still a little unsure about how the swap works and what the goal is. At first, I thought it was just a swapping of no-longer-wanted/no-longer-needed crafting supplies/materials amongst members - but I see that there are themes.

Are the themes created by people who are LOOKING for something related to that theme who will give you something else in return - or by people who are willing to GIVE AWAY things related to that theme in return for something else?

I'm sorry for being dense. I just want to make sure I understand correctly because I would LOVE for someone to be able to use my unwanted/un-needed things - whether or not I got something in return, actually. I donate a lot of my stuff to teacher friends - but I think it would be great to try something like this...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015 10:56:16 AM by alteredmommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Annchen
Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015 01:06:02 AM »

It can be swapping of supplies, but most often there is an element of crafting for your partner too.

In the themed swap the goal is usually to make an agreed upon amount of crafting for one (sometimes more) partner(s), on that particulartheme. Examples: tea and coffe swap, Dr Who swaps, one tiny harry potter thing swap.

Sometimes there are swaps that's all supplies. Example: Fill a box or an envelope of an agreed size with supplies you think your partner will like.

I think you might like a givers and needers swap. In that swap a giver (that would be you) is paired up with someone that needs supplies for various reasons and you send things you think that person would like. In return you usually get a small thank you note or small crafted item.

Another version is wishlist or pinterest swaps. Those that are not chain style might also be a good fit for you. For example the pinterest swap. The ones participating post a link to their pinterest board and some general info like allergies and if they would like supplies. When you are approved to join you post your own link, and then start looking through to see who you can claim. In theory you can send out more than you get (good for destashing, but not working for me at the moment since I've been claimed as much as I've claimed...)

Another fun swap where you give more than you get is the birthday swap. If it's not your birthday months you can still join and send presents from the birthday babies wishlists.

I hope I didn't confuse you further! There are lots of different swap types!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015 01:07:46 AM by Annchen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
stillatthetop
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015 03:29:44 AM »

Yes, what she just said. And I add that maybe a good place for you to start would be one of the swap alongs..Like the ongoing ATC swap. Ask permission to join to the organizer first, and then you read the request from the member who has posted last, and then claim one of their wish prompts when you like them. And just send a small ATC to them, and at the same time of claiming in the thread, add your wish(es) for the next person in line to claim to make an item for you. There are other ongoing swaps here, too. Where you can just jump in at anytime where you feel inspired. And claim the last post for a partner, and then post your desires, and the next member follows suit. Make sure you read the first post carefully for what the organizer wishes from you. But they are fairly simple to follow. And usually don't require a necessity of time. Other than Private Messaging to the member you claim, first to get their address, then to tell them that you have sent so they know to look in their mailbox, and also to post on the thread, and also to PM the coordinator so they are able to keep up with things. I know it sounds a bit complicated, but when you get used to doing it, it becomes fairly simple.

Another option is just to PM (Private Mail) a member who you admire and just set up a Personal Swap directly with them. Those do not actually credit on your profile page, but as long as you are not a flaker in swaps...You're good to go. And you work out the terms of the swap privately with them, as to timing of sending, and items that you and they wish for.

Happy Swapping  Grin
~T
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015 03:53:16 AM by stillatthetop » THIS ROCKS   Logged

NEW REQUEST: Need quilting fabric with ONLY purple, grey, green. Solids or Prints in any combination/shades, but NO OTHER COLORS ALLOWED. HELP! They are hard to find.
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015 10:55:11 AM »

Welcome to Craftster Marigaki!  As Annchen and stillatthetop posted, there are many different swaps and ways to swap here on Craftster.  Themed swaps are probably our most popular, if you look through the archive of completed swaps you can see how many different themes people have come up with.  I think the reason most of us swap is because we like to make things and while creating for friends and family is nice, nothing beats creating for people who really appreciate the time and effort.  It is a great way to meet new crafty friends, learn new skills/stretch existing skills and as a bonus you receive wonderful crafted things-my home is full of such neat stuff received in Craftster swaps!  It is a little confusing at first but very addictive once you start Smiley

Here is a link to the Craftster Swap Guide that has all the information about what you need to do to participate in swaps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!

I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art..."  Vladimir Nabok
rackycoo
Global Moderator
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

"Best of 2014" Winner; too lazy to change avatar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015 06:39:08 AM »

All good advice! I would add that you might like to go view some of the swap galleries, where you will see what sort of things are and have been swapped here. Each swap has its own gallery, so pick on that interests you (ATCs? Vintage Halloween? Fridge Magnets?) and see what kinds of things you can expect from a Craftster swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop. Scary Toys and Halloween for everyone!
My blog: junk&stuff
Pinterest
Annchen
Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015 10:31:00 AM »

Oh, and fair warning: swapping might be addictive... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Placemat Shoulder Purse
We Can Do It!
Meatless Monday: Squash and Onion Galette

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...