A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
718 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Finished a blanket for my mom  (Read 988 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmyLynn98
« on: August 28, 2012 07:43:41 PM »

I was talking to my mom last night on the phone. She's starting chemo again on Wednesday this week: 1 round every 3 weeks for 3 rounds. Her uterine cancer spread again, this time into her liver. My grandma had liver cancer and she died from it. Grandma was 63. My mom is only 59.

Anyway, Mom mentioned how cold she's been lately because she's not feeling good, very tired and weak, which is not like her. So I told her that in about a week, she'd be getting a package from me: a new blanket that I made. She liked that idea and said she can use it at home on the couch, or maybe she'd take it with her to her treatments. I told her it's a good size but still it would be easy to travel with (I estimate it to be about 6'x4'). So as of last night, I realized it was time to get cracking on this thing. All I have left to do is finish the tassels on this.

Since it's a stashbuster, here's what it's made out of, on a J sized crochet hook:
--2 skeins of Poems 100% wool in #588--Love love LOVE this yarn
--Half skein of Red Heart Super Saver yarn in Cornmeal (#0220)--"Cornmeal" is just about the perfect name for this color
--3 skeins of Plymouth Yarn in Boku (#17)--Really enjoy the texture of the Plymouth and Ella Rae yarns: the Plymouth is a sturdy, strong yarn while the Ella Rae ends up, finished, much prettier than you think that texture would work
--2 skeins of Plymouth Yarn in Vizions (#103)
--2 skeins of Ella Rae yarn in #204
--1 skein of Tartelette yarn in #731--A fun ribbon yarn that ended up being a variegated yarn and I didn't realize it when I bought it
--2 skeins of Berroco yarn in #2816
--partial Lion Brand one pounder in Denim (#110)
--partial Lion Brand one pounder in Pastel Yellow (#157)--This is the same yarn I used for my minions.

The pattern calls for 70" lengths of yarn to be woven in and out of the widest (DC) rows, not the thin (SC) rows. The lengths are doubled and woven to go in and out of 2 DC's at a time. I started doing this with a light yellow yarn in the Pastel Yellow rows first. I didn't like this. I guess my tension was off, because my woven yarn lengths looked puckered and tight, and nothing like they do in the finished pattern.

BTW, the pattern calls for only three colors of yarn, so you can easily see another change I made right there!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012 07:44:42 PM by AmyLynn98 - Reason: grammar » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot. com/
peachessunshine

I love swaps/personal swaps (I knit/crochet).

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012 08:09:04 PM »

What a beautiful blanket and awesome gift. I hope everything gets better for your mother.
*hugs*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long days and pleasant nights. Smiley

(Always up for a swap, organized or personal).
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012 09:56:02 PM »

I love that blanket. The pattern and colours makes me think of the middle East somehow.  A nice way to send someone a hug too. I pray it goes well for your Mum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012 10:40:29 PM »

What a beautiful gift. Thinking good thoughts for your mom and you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MerryGlas
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012 05:56:11 AM »

It's a lovely blanket Smiley Best wishes for your mum and I'm sure she'll love your present x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmyLynn98
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012 07:26:01 PM »

Thanks for the good thoughts. My sister said mom had a good day today with the start of chemo. The blanket is getting mailed on Friday. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot. com/
grenouille78
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012 08:46:16 PM »

This is going to mean so much to your mom. It looks really nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Apply Blush For Your Face Shape
Pumpkin Palooza: Hottest Beauty Products For Fall
Tips For Lasting Makeup and Fall Hair Colors
Transition Your Skin Care Into Fall in a Few Easy Steps
Step-by-Step Updo For Medium-Length Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...