A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,330
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 75
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2012~ *CLOSED*  (Read 145514 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

3plyproblem

Is it jumper weather yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #420 on: October 06, 2012 09:26:27 AM »

@consultingcorsair: The wrapped marbles are marvelous!

Thank you, Headmistress! Cheesy I'd never wrapped marbles before, so it was a bit of a nightmare. But I've finally finished the project, and I think I'm a bit better at or maybe just more patient with my wirework now. So!

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Care Of Magical Creatures
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Yggdrasil (Nine Realms) Mobile
Brief Description: During the summer, my best friend and I went to a muggle glassmakers' shop, and each bought a set of nine marbles that we chose to represent each of the nine realms in Norse mythology (in the photos, from left to right: Svartalfheim, Muspellheim, Jotunheim, Alfheim, Asgard, Vanaheim, Midgard, Niflheim, and Helheim). I'd wanted to do something with them, and when I started jewellery-making, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to practise my wire-shaping spells, by making some kind of mobile to hang from my lampshade. The marbles and blue glass beads should catch the light and make a tempting display for a niffler. (Let's hope the wire trefoils and wrappings are enough to keep them safe from any burrowed in my garden!)
Project Picture:
(In the photo, from left to right: Svartalfheim, Muspellheim, Jotunheim, Alfheim, Asgard, Vanaheim, Midgard, Niflheim, and Helheim):
http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/430468_4147065148404_709632027_n.jpg
A closer look at the wirework:
http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/223291_4147057908223_568138650_n.jpg
http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/430495_4147067628466_299157830_n.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I got 99 problems and they're all unfinished projects.
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Harry Potter Craftalong Headmistress*~

Beware the power of my Sonic Seam Ripper!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #421 on: October 06, 2012 09:53:11 AM »

@tiamatfire & Melissaurus: love reading your voting tales...I'm tired of the ads (since I don't feel they inform anything, rather just mean/angry) and completely agree if you could vote and didn't, then you have no room to complain....why complain?  Take Action!

I guess I'm less tired of the ads because Jim & I got rid of cable, so we really haven't seen any tv ads.  Just the stuff on facebook, and occasional segments of the Daily Show online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: October 06, 2012 10:08:16 AM »

@whenindoubtsew, I love the PJ set!  Such a cute idea, and so different!!!  The tea towels are adorable, and I love that you included links to so many places for us all to check out!  If we were doing House Points I'd give 10 to you for being awesome at sharing!

(Geeky Note:  I do in fact keep a House Points System in place at work, where the 4 students who work for me are each "Prefects", and the students taking Costume Technology are divided up into their houses.  They all earn points for being awesome, and at the end of the semester, I decorate for the winning House at our Costume Shop Luncheon.  I recently created an "app" for my phone so I can give them points wherever I am, whatever I'm doing.  Cheesy)

P.S.  I would LOVE to visit Australia some day!!!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012 10:14:59 AM by jennieingram » THIS ROCKS   Logged

whenindoubtsew

I do love knitting patterns - Albus Dumbledore

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: October 06, 2012 06:58:22 PM »

Thanks pinkleo and jennieingram  Cheesy

You should definitely checkout Australia in the future - plenty to see and do and lots of open space! People are amazed at how far you have to drive to get between places but there are so many different beautiful things to see (I am a bit biased). Although hubby and I are just starting to think we might plan a US road-trip for a couple of years time!!

PS I would love a house points system at work  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: October 06, 2012 10:39:20 PM »

Oh, I'm quite sure there is tons of wide open spaces between destinations in your beautiful country!  And the same is true here as well.  There are so many kinds of places and spaces in one single country, that you could never see all of them.  If you have a chance, check out the miniseries Stephen Fry in America.  He visits all 50 states, and sees something in each of them.  My husband actually describes the area I am from (New England, aka, the upper northeast area of the country) as "Greek City-States", who all dislike one another, but distrust outsiders even more.  So for example, people from New Hampshire (where I am from, think Sparta) dislike people from Maine, Massachusetts and Vermont (think Athens, Thebes, etc), for any number of reasons, but we dislike people from outside of New England MORE, since they're "not from around here".  (Think Romans.)

A great example of this is that autumn in New England is unlike autumn anywhere else in the US.  The colors are more vibrant in the north, than they are in the middle of the country, and we think fall anywhere else pales in comparison.  But the vast open plains of the Midwest, the deserts of the South West, and the vast ancient forest of the Pacific Northwest, are all unlike their counterparts in the rest of the country.  There is something to see, and a new friend to meet anywhere here.

And I think one of the greatest things I ever read describing Americans vs. Australians was in A Discovery of Witches, by Deborah Harkness.  An Englishman described how he likes Australians because "They're like American's, but you know... (Less pushy.)"  And I have to admit, I've loved every Australian I've ever met.  If you ever come to America, I'll be happy to show you around wherever I am at the moment.  Wink  (I'm currently living in Kentucky, but am from New Hampshire, near Boston, Massachusetts.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whenindoubtsew

I do love knitting patterns - Albus Dumbledore

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: October 07, 2012 01:17:05 AM »

That's amazing jennieingram - I love Stephen Fry (we watch QI all the time) and Discovery of Witches is one of my favourite books (have Shadow of Night to start reading) We will definitely get this US road trip happening in the near future and will keep in mind your lovely offer  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft
« Reply #426 on: October 07, 2012 03:38:25 AM »

*emerges from the dungeons sniffling and blinking at the bright lights*

Hi everyone, I've been lurking for a while due to some health problems and family issues but I'm back and ready to share my latest project - huzzah! Before I do that though, I'd like to say WOW at all the great projects on this thread! I'd especially like to mention AntBee's awesome cat blanket (go Slytherin, woo!) and Chughes' amazing cake (I'm seriously in awe of it!) and TARDIS yarn dispenser. I'm really loving all the nerdy projects on here! Now, on to the project ...

Class: Astronomy
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Starry, starry night
Brief Description: I used navy blue cotton fabric, metallic silver thread, and glow-in-the-dark perler beads to make this Sagittarius constellation embroidery. I'm really happy with how it turned out and how it looks glowing in the dark of the dungeons ... but I couldn't take a good photo of that so you'll just have to use your imagination ~_^

I hope you like it!

I'd also like to participate in the voting challenge, so here's my bit: I live in Australia where (as previously mentioned by whenindoubtsew) voting is compulsory. I remember when I was about eleven, the Muggles held a referendum on whether Australia should stay a part of the Commonwealth or become a republic. I think this is when I first became aware of the huge impact voting could have on our lives and culture and since I've been old enough to vote, I've tried to take care in my decisions by researching the views of various parties before voting. If you're lucky enough to live in a country where you CAN vote, you SHOULD! ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft.blogspot.com.au
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: October 07, 2012 07:23:43 AM »

@lightninglisa:  I'm so glad you're feeling better dear!

@whenindoubtsew:  I told DH about the fact that an Australian Craftster was considering a US roadtrip.  He asked me to let you know that he'd be happy to take you to Mammoth Cave National Park here in Kentucky, which is the largest cave system in the world.  And to let you know you're invited to dinner.  He'll make jambalaya.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #428 on: October 07, 2012 08:58:49 AM »

@consultingcorsair: Absolutely LOVE your Yggdrasil Mobile!!!  Wondrous Wirework!

@lightninglisa: Adore your hoopla!  (metallic thread can be the biggest pain Tongue)  I know that the camera is not doing justice to your beads & thread, bet it is more gorgeous in person.  And I am happy to hear you are feeling better.  Sending you blessings for future joy & wellness.

Off to craft & daydream about an exploration of Australia & New England....

Oh and can I say, I can't wait to post all my Hogwart swap goodies in the HPC!  It just so happens that many would fit into classes. Cool

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: October 07, 2012 09:16:40 AM »

Note from the Deputy Headmistress....

The new Witch of the Week has been posted!  Be sure to check the Witch of the Week Board to find out who it is!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 75 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn How to Make No Sew Pillows
How to Make a Summer Shell Centerpiece
Beach-Inspired Paperweight Crafts
How to Make a Waterproof Picnic Blanket
Handmade Custom Luggage Tags
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...