A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
423 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 75
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2012~ *CLOSED*  (Read 115649 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eiseldora
« Reply #320 on: September 26, 2012 12:09:56 PM »

Cauldron Treat Challenge
Ravenclaw
Steakhouse Steak

I grew up in the Midwest where we love Corn and Steaks, so when I moved to the west coast I was startled by how many fancy restaurants would use rubs on steak instead of making them juicy. This is compounded by my allergy to black pepper which they use in all rubs.

So I learned how to make steak at home, which tastes better and is cheaper.

Here is how you can do it to:

Conjure up a oven safe pan. I use stainless steel, but my dad uses cast iron.

Preheat oven to 350

Heat your pan on the stove top much like you would prepare pancakes. Get it nice and hot with a medium high heat.

Place some butter in the pan and immediately place your steak on top of the butter.

After the steak browns on one side, flip and sear/brown the other side.

Next place the entire pan in the oven.
Depending on the thickness of your steak it might cook for 1 min or 10 minutes. Use a thermometer to verify the meats internal temperature.

Lastly once the steaks are cooked to your liking remove the pan from the oven (CAUTION: HOT), and let steaks sit covered for about 10 min.

At this point I like to make a sauce in the pan I just used to cover my steaks. Sometimes I  cook mushrooms and zucchini in butter, or add a 1/2 cup of red wine to the pan and reduce.

While Ribeye steaks are delicious this way, I often will just use sirloin or flank steak which still taste way better than a steak house when cooked in this manner, and is very wallet friendly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #321 on: September 26, 2012 04:10:14 PM »

After a session of serious cauldron stirring, Professor pinkleo decides to head to the Three Broomsticks for a mug or two of butterbeer.  But first she stops and treats herself to some goodies.

"Mmmm....White Croakoa. 
Ah, I've got Morgan again ... do you want it? You can start collecting."

Time to start collecting! Grin  Look for future opportunities to earn Chocolate Frog Cards aka CFCs, and check your PMs, for you never know when a Staff Member may award you a special card from their collection.  (I know you Witches of the Week have already collected some special CFCs from jennie's stash. Cool)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012 04:10:47 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: September 26, 2012 05:13:28 PM »

Huzzah for Chocolate Frog Cards!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
teaandcraft
« Reply #323 on: September 27, 2012 03:38:58 AM »

Class: Arithmacy
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Fresh Baked Pi
Brief Description: I am so, so happy with how this project turned out! ^_^ I used pink fabric and black embroidery thread to make this nerdy, vintage-inspired embroidery piece. Before I started sewing, I covered the embroidery hoop with washi tape - I think it looks super cute! ^_^

I brought the image I used from here: http://www.iclipart.com/search.php?keys=176776&id=104_10_3_17 (should anyone else want to use it ^_^)

P.S. @Naantje - you have been super busy! I love all of your projects, but especially the clever idea of dill & shortening cubes and the cute flowers ^_^ Great job representing Slytherin House!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft.blogspot.com.au
skatergirl1007
« Reply #324 on: September 27, 2012 07:59:03 AM »

lightninglisa I love the pi hoopla! <3
I need to get crafting and posting a few things.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ant Bee

Expecto Procrastinatum!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #325 on: September 27, 2012 08:54:15 AM »

Everything looks really great here!

I am working on my muggle studies project, an afghan, which is taking a lot of time, then I got a wicked head cold that knocked me out of the game for a couple of days. ew. 
My O.W.L. has been successfully procrastinated to date what with the sudden need to crochet an afghan and hmm, this room should really be dusted... and wow! look at that! over there! *runs away from O.W.L. supplies.* (I'm sorta seeing the O.W.L. supplies as a "Margerie" from Fraggle Rock.  Little fabric swatches taunt me when I get close and the pile says stuff like "Get to work, even though you don't know what you're doing" and the little fabric bits say "The O.W.L. heap has spoken!")

So, yeah, Cough and cold medicine do funny things to my head.

Oh, hey, now I think the dog needs a walk... "Expecto Procrastinatum!!" 

Keep up the great work, everyone, it's really inspiring, even to me over here at Procrastination Station.
(I'll get the courage to tackle that quilt eventually...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Harry witnessed Professor McGonagall walking right past Peeves who was determinedly loosening a crystal chandelier and could have sworn he heard her tell the poltergeist out of the corner of her mouth 'It unscrews the other way.
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
seeuudee

Smile!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: September 27, 2012 11:47:49 AM »

Loving the Chocolate Frog Cards - what a great idea guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skatergirl1007
« Reply #327 on: September 27, 2012 12:06:39 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Cauldron Treat Challenge
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Plain Pastry Cinnamon Sugar
Brief Description: I made this one night at like 10 and I really liked it.

Plain pastry recipe

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 shortening (I used butter which worked fine)
4 to 5 tablespoons cold water

1 tablespoon Cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar

Before starting on the pastry mix together 1 tablespoon of Cinnamon and 1/4 cup of sugar Sift flour and salt together; cut in shortening with pastry blender till pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon water over part of mixture. Gently toss with fork; push to side of bowl. Repeat till all is moistened. Form into ball. Flatten on lightly floured surface by pressing with edge of hand 3 times in both directions. Roll from center to edge till 1/8 inch thick. Put on pan (note you may need to cut it down and put on two cookie sheets) and sprinkle with Cinnamon sugar mixture. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 min or until golden brown.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #328 on: September 27, 2012 12:53:17 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Detention!
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Ribbon Rack
Project Page Link (if available): http://handmadehousewife.blogspot.com/2012/09/craftroom-redo-time-this-project-has_27.html 
~~click here if you want to be jealous of my new awesome craftroom!  Wink

Brief Description: I'm hoping this counts because I am so happy this is done. We finished my craftroom redo in February (floor/new desks/shelving/etc) but we never got around to putting my new ribbon rack up.  This weekend we finally got all the supplies to finish the project and put them up!  I love having my ribbons easy to pick out (without having to take off all the ribbons to get to one) but especially just them off my desk but in arms reach.
Project Picture:

This hard to use rack...

and using these supplies...

this wall...

Finally into this!

I love it! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SeeksDeatheater
« Reply #329 on: September 27, 2012 08:15:56 PM »

Grin  My first post after several years of never really feeling quite brave enough to post anything. This all just looked too fun to resist.  

Class: Alchemy
House:Gryffindor
Project Name:Witch Weekly Necklace

Those old copies of Witch Weekly do pile up, and seeing that the challenge was to work with recycled materials I thought I might as well try to turn them to gold.  My initial attempts to transfigure the magazines directly to golden coins had little success - the first time nothing happened, and the second time the tablecloth caught fire, hence the bare wood you'll see in the second frozen picture.  I did a little more research and realized the problem was largely due to a lack of integration of mystical geometry.  I modified my plan and decided to make golden beads -- I cut pages of the magazines into triangles, and then wrapped the triangles around thin dowels - yielding small spirals around central circles. From there it was a simple matter of following the instructions laid out in Boyle's letters to Newton, as summarized in in the textbook.  I hope this is an acceptable project for the Alchemy Class assignment.  (even though I may need to add another coat of varnish to the beads before it's technically wearable without being scratchy)

Project Pictures:
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=551301&ppuser=307501
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=551300&ppuser=307501

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 75 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...