A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,124
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 75
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2012~ *CLOSED*  (Read 114158 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2012 07:43:09 AM »

~*OWL PROPOSAL HEADER*~
OWL Subject & Option(if available): Transfiguration option 1: Take a large amount of supply and craft one piece.
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: The Perfect Spin
Brief Description:
I just got my first spinning wheel! She's a Wee Peggy named Vera. This O.W.L. will be the first part of my goal. I plan to spin a worsted weight yarn (either plied or single spun) but it needs to be knitable and not be thick and thin. The second part of my goal which I'll either do another O.W.L. for or as a class assignment is knit my mom a cowl out of it as a thank you for getting me my wheel as an early Christmas gift.

This owl will most likely take me a while as I need to get Vera into working order (she needs a new drive band) and then learn to spin and then perfect my spinning to get even yarn. I have some pretty merino/silk I'm saving for this "perfect spin" and cowl project.

Here's Vera:

And the fibre I plan to use:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012 07:48:30 AM by PenguinSoup - Reason: Added Pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kstaron
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2012 10:13:53 AM »

Penguinsoup, can't figure which I find prettier the spinning machine or the fiber you chose.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kstaron
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2012 10:25:19 AM »

I wanted to show everyone the treadle machine and what I'm starting with.  I've already gone over it with some wood protector and cleaner and done a couple of hours works getting the grime off.

The cabinet:

The wood is really dry, the veneer is loose and in some places broken. The wood on the fliptop part may have already been replaced, and there's a big black spot on it too.

Close up of where some of the veneer is missing

The machine herself: Based on the serial number she's from 1910

The back of the machine, close up of the flower detail. This is the section I spent over an hour getting off grime yesterday.

I'm trying to figure out what type of the wood veneer the cabinet has. Looks vaguely like tiger oak.

So far I've taken the machine out and reset the screws so the cabinet can open allowing the machine out. It was stuck when I bought it. I've dusted everything off, applied liberal amounts of wood cleaner and "liquid gold" to moisturize the wood and gone over most of the the outer portions of the sewing machine (parts without the gold decals) with kerosene to clean her up and get rid of the rust.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skatergirl1007
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2012 01:04:01 PM »

So your giving this treadle machine to me kstaron right?  Grin
It's so pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2012 03:29:03 PM »

^what she said!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kit the Brave
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2012 04:39:33 PM »

Hi! I'm Kit. I just joined Craftster because a coworker told me about the HP Fall Semester and now that I have had a chance to see everything, it is EVEN COOLER THAN SHE SAID. Everyone sounds so awesome and your projects are amazing!

I mostly knit and make random geeky things. I've done lots and lots of house scarves and I have an LED lightsaber partly finished. And I'm definitely in Hufflepuff.

It's nice to meet you all and I hope to come up with some projects soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eiseldora
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2012 04:53:07 PM »

Happy to have you Kit Cheesy

Don't forget to post pictures of the really cool things you've made in the various places on Craftster (Click on Community to explore the various specialties) We would love to see your awesome geekiness!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2012 05:42:30 PM »

Welcome Kit!  And happy to have you in Hufflepuff!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skatergirl1007
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2012 06:35:12 PM »

Hi! I'm Kit. I just joined Craftster because a coworker told me about the HP Fall Semester and now that I have had a chance to see everything, it is EVEN COOLER THAN SHE SAID. Everyone sounds so awesome and your projects are amazing!

I mostly knit and make random geeky things. I've done lots and lots of house scarves and I have an LED lightsaber partly finished. And I'm definitely in Hufflepuff.

It's nice to meet you all and I hope to come up with some projects soon!

Hello Kit welcome to Hufflepuff!!! I can't wait to see some great projects.
Skatergirl1007
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2012 09:24:26 PM »

PenguinSoup ~ Owl Approved!

@kstaron:  Wow!  You have your work cut out for you, don't you???  Wink

@Kit the Brave:  Hi Kit!  Welcome to Craftster!  Cheesy  We're thrilled to have you here, and I'm sure you'll make a wonderful addition to Hufflepuff House.  Please feel free to ask any questions you want, either here in the thread, or via Private Message to either myself (Deputy Headmistress for the HPC), or pinkleo (Headmistress for the HPC).  And just to help you learn your way around, be sure to check out Craftster's HELP section, which includes lots of useful info like the Craftster FAQ's and the Need to Know Guide.  The forums can seem a bit daunting if you're not sure where you're going, but these will be a big help.  Cheesy  And of course, any or all of the wonderful participants in the HPC are always glad to help!  (Including Hufflepuff's Head of House, patty_o_furniture.)

Cheers to one and all!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012 11:00:16 AM by jennieingram » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Summer Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 75 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Portrait Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for People-in-Landscape Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Panoramic Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Night Portrait Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Night Landscape Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...