A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 75
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2012~ *CLOSED*  (Read 119389 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2012 06:04:15 PM »

Note from the Deputy Headmistress....

::in her best McGonnagall voice::  Good evening students!  Headmistress pinkleo will be on Craftster less frequently for the next several days.  In the mean time, I will be tracking OWL proposals.  You'll be able to find them in my first post on page 1.

Abbeeroad ~ OWL Approved!  What a fascinating project.  Cheesy  While I've dyed things countless times at work, I've never had the chance to try shibori.  (Though I did have a project on natural dyes in grad school.  I had to make 10 different natural dyes, and swatch cotton, linen, silk and wool in each, then present the findings in a book!)  Oh, and yes, First Years are welcome to try their hand at OWLs.  We just ask that everyone (first years and up) stick to one OWL at a time.   Wink

spikefan ~ OWL Approved!  I can't wait to see your finished set of ATCs!  It's going to take so much discipline to do 3-5 every day.  Good for you dear!

Eiseldora ~ OWL Approved!... with a condition  Wink  This is going to be a tough one for someone who doesn't sew very much, so good for you for taking on such a challenging project!  Eespecially for something so sentimental to both of you.  Smiley  I checked your post asking for quilt advice.  As a quilter, I'll add in my 2 cents here:  I think alwaysinmyroom is spot-on with her suggestions.  Replace the entire back.  (This will make it an approved "OWL worthy" project.)  

If you darn the holes, they'll just come frayed apart further in the future.  And patches will look odd, against so classic a quilt.  Also, darning & patching wouldn't take a very long time, which is the point of an OWL project.  If you do go that route, I'd suggest submitting it as a Detention project.  I would also suggest avoiding Fray-check anywhere on your beloved quilt, as donniesgirl suggested.  Undecided  I use fray-check all the time at work, and it's a great product, but only for certain uses.  It leaves a crusty-crunchy feeling on fabric, and over time it wears down.  (Imagine putting a cross between super glue and clear nail polish on your quilt, then washing it.  It won't feel nice, I promise.)  Start by settling down in a comfy spot with a seam ripper, and carefully take the back off the front & batting.  I'll try to find you some good tutorials for beginner quilting techniques.  Cool Do you have a sewing machine?

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012 07:49:10 AM by jennieingram » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Eiseldora
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2012 06:27:33 PM »

Note from the Deputy Headmistress....

Eiseldora ~ OWL Approved... with a condition  Wink  This is going to be a tough one for someone who doesn't sew very much, so good for you for taking on such a challenging project!  Eespecially for something so sentimental to both of you.  Smiley  I checked your post asking for quilt advice.  As a quilter, I'll add in my 2 cents here:  I think alwaysinmyroom is spot-on with her suggestions.  Replace the entire back.  (This will make it an approved "OWL worthy" project.)  

If you darn the holes, they'll just come frayed apart further in the future.  And patches will look odd, against so classic a quilt.  Also, darning & patching wouldn't take a very long time, which is the point of an OWL project.  If you do go that route, I'd suggest submitting it as a Detention project.  I would also suggest avoiding Fray-check anywhere on your beloved quilt, as donniesgirl suggested.  Undecided  I use fray-check all the time at work, and it's a great product, but only for certain uses.  It leaves a crusty-crunchy feeling on fabric, and over time it wears down.  (Imagine putting a cross between super glue and clear nail polish on your quilt, then washing it.  It won't feel nice, I promise.)  Start by settling down in a comfy spot with a seam ripper, and carefully take the back off the front & batting.  I'll try to find you some good tutorials for beginner quilting techniques.  Cool Do you have a sewing machine?

Yes I own a sewing Machine, and I was planning to replace the entire back. However it seems a bit intimidating. I have no clue where to even get the fabric wide enough for the back. Once approved I planed to measure the back and visit my local quilt shop or Joanns and ask for advice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2012 07:53:51 PM »

Awesome!  Ok, you can get quilt backing at Hancock Fabrics & Joann's definitely.  It is also sometimes labeled as "cotton sheeting", since it is wide enough to make sheets with. 
Here's a selection of it at Hancock
Here's a selection at Joann's

You can also find muslin that comes 108" wide.  Look for a coupon, and pick it up with that.  Cheesy

Make sure to wash & dry the fabric before you use it though.  If you don't have access to a serger, use the zig-zag stitch on your machine, and run a row of stitching down each of the cut ends of the fabric before throwing it in the washer.  This will keep it from fraying , and turning into a huge tangled mess in your washing machine.   Roll Eyes

Here's a simple guide on how to replace a quilt back.

I also really reccomend the tutorials on Oh Fransson!  She's a wonderful quilter, and her tutorials are very clear, with great pictures.  Here's her list of tutorial links:  Quilting Basics

These ones might be particularly helpful:
How to make a quilt sandwich
Free Motion Quilting Basics (Though you can also quilt in straight lines along the previous quilting)
Making and Sewing Binding (Or you can also try the method alwaysinmyroom suggested.  The pillowcase method.)

I hope those are helpful while getting started.  Let me know if you have any more questions, and I'll be happy to try to help and cheer you on.  I've been quilting since I was about 8.  (Mom thought toys were messy, so she gave me a sewing machine instead.)  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skatergirl1007
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2012 06:00:49 AM »

I have been meaning to post to say I'm in and going to do some projects but I got a little busy with the first week of school and then homework so I have a little time now to post something I did this last week. I have planed to do all five classes that were not in the summer semester and have ideas going for all of them. I do have to ask th alcemy one I am thinking of making a teddy bear and while it won't be gold in color it will be worth its weight in gold to me because it will be the first teddy bear I will have ever made. So would that count or should it be more of a contraption?

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Study of Ancient Runes
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Paper Weaved Art with Dragon Script
Brief Description: I know that a lot of kids who went to public school has most likely done paper weaving before they were a teenager but I was homeschooled and have never done it. I saw the tut in an email I get with all kinds of craft projects and stuff in it so I thought I would try it. So as I was watching Super Mario Brothers Super Show on netflix I did it and had fun. Then I thought that it would be cool if I did my name in dragon script from the book dragonology. And thats it simple yet a lot of fun.
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IsikkahJai

BAKA LOVE FOREVER! ^.^

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2012 07:51:57 AM »

Hello Hogwarts staff and students! Grin My internet is finally back up although I have not finished this tedious moving of Houses yet  Roll Eyes I wanted to pop on and get a good dose of my favorite craftalong to keep me going.
  The projects are looking great! And I LOVE the OWL proposals so far. In fact, I see your OWL proposals and I raise you another Wink

OWL Subject & Option(if available): Herbology-
House: GRYFFINDOR
Project Name: A Bed of "Roses"
Brief Description: I have been meaning to make an "earth toned" quilt for my husband and I for a LONG time. I've also been meaning to make a bargello quilt for a long time. (A "bargello" quilt is basically LOTS of tiny squares sewn into beautiful patterns for quilt tops.) SO! I propose to make a Bargello quilt using all different types of "plant cloth" (I.E. Ivy, vines, seeds, roses, dandelions, wood grains etc). This project is very time consuming since I have to cut out individual strips, then cut them into squares, then sew the squares into the correct pattern, then sew the square strips into blocks and sew the blocks together. This quilt will be large enough to fit on a full-sized bed with some overhang on the sides. I also plan on using a free-motion stitch (something I've been terrified to try -.-U) to add in plant motifs as the quilting portion. I will also be hand sewing the binding on the quilt.
       This quilt will be started no later than September 30th and hopefully will be done by October 30th (Deadline subject to change barring household situation)

Will this be acceptable for an OWL? If not, I guess I can submit it as a Potions Option 1 OWL. Or whatever the OWL examiners suggest Wink
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012 03:50:01 PM by IsikkahJai » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Naantje
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2012 09:12:08 AM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Arithmancy - PI
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Silliness on an envelope
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.)
Last sunday, I was at a flea market and fell in love with an old-fashioned pedal car. I thought it would be super-expensive and asked for the price, but it was only 20. Still, it was quite big, in desperate need for some tlc and it will probably be another year or 7 before we have a kid old enough to ride one. I thought it would be a very silly thing to buy right now, but I did really love it. I couldn't make up my mind and thought that I had to consult my boyfriend before buying. The owner kindly gave me her address and made me promise to write her, wether we would buy it or not. My boyfriend is as crazy as I am, so I just wrote her on this card that we're buying the pedal car! I don't like boring envelopes, so I decorated the back with 39 circles which contain dots to represent the 39 first digits of pi. (Yes, this is such simple crafting, but it put a huge smile on my face, and I'm guessing it would do the same for other too!)
Project Picture:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2012 09:43:33 AM »

Cool paper art, skatergirl1007. How are you going to display/use the finished product?

Lovely hidden Arithmancy, Naantje!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2012 10:10:45 AM »

IsikkahJai ~ OWL Approved! A quilt is a great candidate for an OWL project, and I'll be excited to see how your bargello turns out!  I've never made a full sized one, but I did do a wall quilt one for pinkleo once.  They are lots of work, but give such stunning results.  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ttarsia
« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2012 12:26:44 PM »

As advised...here is my announcement "I'm with Gryffindor!!!!"

Thanks for the advice!!!   Wink Grin

I have a few classes in my mind that I"m thinking about.  HOpe to be posting some of my projects soon!! 

Thanks!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kstaron
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2012 12:27:10 PM »

~*OWL PROPOSAL HEADER*~
OWL Subject & Option: Charms: Charm Reparo
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Treadle on restoration
Brief Description: I picked up a wonderful still working Singer treadle sewing machine from 1910. (It's amazing what those muggles did for mundane chores without magic or modern electricity.) However, while the machine it self works (minus the stinking belt O broke while trying to clean it.) The cabinet is in dire need of repair and the machine is grimy and rusty. As far as I can tell the machine is going to need to be completely disassembled, cleaned, put back together. The cabinet needs serious veneer repair, a type of project I've never done before. Then I need to make it pretty after I make it whole.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 75 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Expensive Modern Art Thrown Out By Cleaning Lady, Confused With Trash
Willed: The Artists
A Monumental and Ceremonial Culture
Cool Art Made Out of Pop Bottle Caps
Using an iPhone to Control a 40-Foot Figure Sculpture
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...