A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 75
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2012~ *CLOSED*  (Read 109774 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FiberAlchemist
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Wit Beyond Measure

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: September 24, 2012 11:23:53 AM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Charms & Cauldron Treat Challenge
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Momofuku Milk Bar's Compost Cookies

Lately my husband has been in a funk due to crazy long hours at work.  So I decided to make him some cookies to cheer him up.  I've made this recipe in the past and I love how customizable it is.  It starts with probably the most delicious "base" dough I've ever eaten and then you mix in a hodge-podge of any candy and snack foods you like.  The batch I made this time was based on a Take 5 candy bar - peanut butter cups, Rolos and pretzels. 

Momofuku Milk Bar's Compost Cookies
from the Milk Bar Cookbook by Christina Tosi

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 cups your favorite baking ingredients (e.g. chocolate chips, graham crackers, candy)
1 1/2 cups Your favorite snack foods (e.g. potato chips, pretzels, ritz crackers)

Combine the butter, sugars and corn syrup in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and cream together on medium-high for 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the egg and vanilla, and beat for 7 to 8 minutes.

Reduce the speed to low and add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix just until the dough comes together, no longer than 1 minute. (Do not walk away from the machine during this step, or you will risk overmixing the dough.) Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.

Still on low speed, add the baking ingredients and mix just until incorporated, about 30 seconds. Add the snack foods, and paddle, still on low speed, until just incorporated. Be careful not to overmix or break too many of the pretzels or potato chips.

Using a 2-ounce ice cream scoop (or a 1⁄3-cup measure), portion out the dough onto a parchment-lined sheet pan. Pat the tops of the cookie dough domes flat. Wrap the sheet pan tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to 1 week. Do not bake your cookies from room temperature—they will not bake properly.

Heat the oven to 375°.

Arrange the chilled dough a minimum of 4 inches apart on parchment- or Silpat-lined sheet pans. Bake for 18 minutes. The cookies will puff, crackle and spread. After 18 minutes, they should be very faintly browned on the edges yet still bright yellow in the center. Give them an extra minute or so if that's not the case.

Cool the cookies completely on the sheet pans before transferring to a plate or an airtight container for storage. At room temp, cookies will keep fresh for 5 days; in the freezer, they will keep for 1 month.

I chilled the dough in the bowl and then portioned it onto cookie sheets (I don't know anyone who has enough room in their fridge for cookie sheets) and I made my cookies too small.  A 1/3 cup of dough may seem like a lot; but you need that much or the cookie will spread and become very thin and crispy.  Here are the completed cookies in my lovely Ziplock cookie jar  Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Critter10

Losing my sanity one day at a time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: September 24, 2012 05:13:28 PM »

patty_o_furniture, that bracelet is beautiful! Then again, everything in this semest of the HPC has been pretty amazing. I've been lurking mostly, been focused on the Back to Hogwarts swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/Critter10/
Adapt. Improvise. Overcome. Mischief Managed.
~Anyone can accomplish any task with no limits and constant encouragement.
~There is no such thing as trash, only future craft supplies that no one has claimed.
Kit the Brave
« Reply #312 on: September 24, 2012 05:44:34 PM »

Class: Charms
House: Hufflepuff
Project Name: Super Seniors Owl Charms

We have three Junior FIRST LEGO League teams at my library, and the two ladies who help me coach are absolutely fantastic. Each year Jr. FLL has a theme that they base their project around, and this year the theme is "Super Seniors." The logo is an adorable pair of owls - a senior owl and a little kid owl. (You can see it here: http://juniorfirstlegoleague.org/2012-super-seniors-challenge.html) So I made some charms of the little owl out of Sculpey. I baked a ring into the back so they can hang up (you can just barely see it peeking from behind one of the little guys' feathers). I hope it'll make the coaches happy as well as cheering on their teams for this season!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kit the Brave
« Reply #313 on: September 24, 2012 07:18:02 PM »

Happy birthday, Deputy Headmistress! I will definitely try the cheesecake. And I will ask my boss for the recipe of the Dulce Sin Leche cupcakes she made for my birthday. (I was definitely fortunate that she drew my name in the birthday swap.)

@fiberalchemist, that recipe looks awesome - I'm already thinking of what I could put in it.

@Naantje, your herbs are gorgeous! And the shortening dill cubes are such a great idea. Did you melt the shortening and pour it on the dill, or use a blender, or...?

@tiamatfire, gorgeous headbands and even more gorgeous baby!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Naantje
« Reply #314 on: September 24, 2012 10:26:09 PM »

I used liquid shortening, which is quite popular here. I think it made its rise when all the stuff about hydrogenated oils and trans fats came out which make regular shortening solid, the liquid stuff doesn't need those. I must say, I checked on the cubes yesterday evening, and they're more of a thick pudding consistency than really frozen solidly. I think if you were to melt shortening and pour it over the dill, that would definitely work too, but try it out in a smaller quantity first, melted shortening doesn't always solidify nicely again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #315 on: September 25, 2012 05:41:52 AM »

I feel so behind! Love the Pi bracelet, the compost cookies, and the little owls. Great stuff everyone!

Super excited for the new challenge too. Tonight dinner might just qualify!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pottermouth

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #316 on: September 25, 2012 03:21:47 PM »

So many great projects!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Naantje
« Reply #317 on: September 26, 2012 01:53:50 AM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Flying
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Two skein scarf of warming blue
Brief Description:
Cold, windy, wet. That's how the weather has been lately, and since we're heading full speed into fall and then winter, I needed to make something to keep me warm on my broom! I have my house scarf naturally, but that one is really to long for broom usage: I need to wrap it around my neck twice and then the ends are still considerably long. It's just not safe, those long ends can blow in front of your face and obscure your vision, and it's a choking hazard during a friendly game of quidditch! I conjured two nicely soft skeins of bright blue acrylic from my crochet bag, and made this shorty scarf with decorative ends. When on my broom, they tuck easily into my coat, when walking about, it's nice and stylish. The colour of the scarf is that of a clear afternoon autumn sky, chilly but sunny, great for flying about for a couple of hours and catch some of that much needed vitamin D producing sunrays. I do need my sunshine for happiness!
Project Picture:

____

OWL Update:
I've picked more colours and made more flowers Smiley Taking a good picture of anything made from white yarn is difficult!!! I took over 20 pictures, checking out all possible options on my camera, to get this picture. Quality of the image still isn't amazing, but this is the best I could get it. I've got a couple of brooches / recycled jewellery already for the bouquet, but I desperately need to find/make some steampunk aspects for the thing too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #318 on: September 26, 2012 10:29:50 AM »

@jennie: mmmmmm.....pumpkin cheesecake...looks so yummy!

@patty: gorgeous pi bracelet!  ....I love that you used the numbers; I'm hoping to craft something with the numbers as well, when I carve out a bi of time for it

@FiberAlchemist: Compost Cookies are definitely finding there way to my cauldron soon!

@Kit: adorable owl charms & what a lovely way to honor those coaches!

@Naantje: I am so thrilled that scarf season will soon be upon us (we Texan Witches have to wait for those precious cool days)....I adore your scarf; looks cozy and cheery!  And YAY OWL update; I just can't wait to see the finished result!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Crochet Moderator
Craftalongs Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #319 on: September 26, 2012 10:45:22 AM »

Puffs of powdered sugar and trails of chocolate curls surround Professor pinkleo.  She is happily humming as she slowly stirs her cauldron concoction.

"This shall be the perfect treat for Professor jennie.  Now, just a pinch of mermaid salt...."

.... Cool making jennie treats today....well trial jennie treats, must make sure I have the recipe just right...mmmmm... Grin
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012 07:14:06 PM by pinkleo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 75 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add a Color Overlay to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add a Fill to a Title in Title Designer in Premiere CS3
How to Add a Gradient Overlay to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add a Drop Shadow Blending Option to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add a New Layer in Paint.NET
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...