A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,154
Currently Running With Scissors:
412 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 75
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HP Craftalong ~Fall Semester 2012~ *CLOSED*  (Read 124686 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

noodle-bug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

equal parts love and evil laughter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #180 on: September 10, 2012 07:56:07 PM »

~*OWL PROPOSAL*~
OWL Subject & Option(if available): --History of Magic: Option 3-Craft something using a vintage pattern, material, or technique.
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Saving My Vintage Squares Blanket
Brief Description:

Ok. So. I want to resurrect this vintage blanket. It was made for me before I was born by my great auntie Olive. It's basically knitted squares, from double knitting wool - some plain squares, some with a diagonal stripe.
the problem is, this is the current condition of said blanket

sad, huh? the faint red circles indicate where whole squares are missing, or where squares were missing so my mum (who is not a crafter) tried to replace some with denim patches, rather unsucessfully.
There are loads of other holes where the knitting is starting to unravel, varying in size from 'able to put fist through' to tiny with just a couple of stitches unravelled.  Lots of squares are getting unsewn from each other. It is all misshapen where the missing bits and weighty denim have lead to stretching.
Now, all this wear and tear has been caused by love. I adore this blanket - i moved it out with me when i left home and it is still on my bed now, but i have come to realise that if i do not take steps to save it it is likely to die altogether.

I am no knitter, and even if i were the idea of simply replacing like for like does not appeal - I'd rather pay tribute than recreate.
So I propose to replace all the missing patches, and cover over all the holes, with squares of wool felt - all different colours and sizes. The felt wool should work nicely with the knitted wool Smiley handsewn with blanket stitch, I think - all randomly coloured threads and nothing matching.
However, that will still leave holes visible on back, so I propose that once patched, I'll back the whole thing... not sure what onto yet, but something simple - neutral coloured light/medium-weight cotton maybe -, and then maybe also add felt squares to the back to keep the two sides tied together (both literally and in a design sense). Again all hand sewn.
Not sure about edge binding as I like the little scalloped edge on the wool blanket and that boarder is still intact - any advice from tutors or fellow students appreciated!  Huh

I'm not sure how long it'll take, that will depend how many hours a week I can comfortably do, since it is not a very portable project and I do most of my crafting out of the house. But I would aim to have it done before we put the central heating on for winter (ha! that's a deadline completely dependent on british weather! ridiculous!) - maybe I can snuggle under it while I work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
pottermouth

I like Kit-Kat, unless I'm with 4 or more people.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #181 on: September 10, 2012 08:25:42 PM »

Class/Challenge/House Pride: Flying/Quidditch Field
House: Ravenclaw
Project Name: Sorta Snowflake
Project Page Link (if available):Snowflake that mine does not resemble
Brief Description:  For Quidditch I decided to do another papercut since I hadn't put my stuff away from yesterday  Roll Eyes. I found a really pretty snowflake pattern on deviantart and thought I'd try it. Lessons learned from doing this project: Do NOT use scrapbook paper. Do NOT use crappy scissors. When crappy scissors fail, make sure you change the craft knife blade. Count the number of sides the original snowflake has and fold accordingly. Resolve that you are unable to make a snowflake in 30 minutes. (it took me 42). oh well, it was still fun.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

SootBerry
« Reply #182 on: September 11, 2012 01:40:37 AM »

Sooo many amazing projects!! I'm working on a few things, though I can't think of anything to do for an owl!  Huh I tend to obsess over large projects, spending a few days working on nothing else until they're done. I may have to skip the owl badge.  Undecided

also... less craftalong specific and just more me being rubbish with computers... how do you make the links you post have a different text than http://the_web_address_I'm_linking_to.com ?

I think maybe this post about signatures from PinkLeo might help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seeuudee

Smile!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: September 11, 2012 02:07:42 AM »

Some great projects - the cinnamon pancakes looks so good, but I may pass on the popcorn! It looks good but I am strictly a sweet popcorn gal!

Way to go pinkleo - it is much deserved!!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012 02:08:10 AM by seeuudee » THIS ROCKS   Logged

noodle-bug

equal parts love and evil laughter

« Reply #184 on: September 11, 2012 04:26:45 AM »

I think maybe this post about signatures from PinkLeo might help!

awesome, thankyou Smiley

also, brilliant snowflake pottermouth - you could do a few from cardboard and play ring-toss  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 things in 2014 challenge!
I'm always up for swapping hexies or TM patches (or anything, really!) - PM me Cheesy
redpopsicles

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #185 on: September 11, 2012 04:41:55 AM »

I lurked on the board throughout the summer semester, and I have finally arrived at Hogwarts as a SLYTHERIN!

I will be posting my completed first assignment shortly...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Roke45
« Reply #186 on: September 11, 2012 04:46:57 AM »

Class: Herbology
House: Slytherin
Project Name: Potions kit
Brief Description: Without Herbology where would a good Potioneer be? Using vintage inspired labels and old bottles I've put together an Apothecary inspired Herb and Spice organiser, with everything from Ginger and Cloves to Poppy seeds and chives.

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/305868_11Sep12_061.JPG

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Naantje
« Reply #187 on: September 11, 2012 05:45:17 AM »

Welcome, new Slytherins! It is so nice to welcome you to Hogwarts and our common room. I hope you made it across the Black Lake without getting your feet wet!

Loving your Herb & Spice organiser, cooking with these must be so much more entertaining than with the plastic containers my spice rack is filled with... I'm trying to figure out my own Herbology homework myself right now, I've sadly killed nearly all of the carrots in my garden, but the herb garden is flourishing: the dill and peppermint are blooming and the basil and chives are looking very good. Apparently basil will not survive winter, so I'll try drying the remainder, and see if I can get seeds to sew next year for the dill and peppermint. We'll be moving in february, so I'll try if I can get some of the herbs in pots so we can move them along. I hope I can make that work, I'm really bad with potted plants for some reason...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My 50 in '14

Calling all talented witches and wizards to join us in the Winter Semester of the Harry Potter Craftalong.
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #188 on: September 11, 2012 06:22:38 AM »

So many awesome projects since I was last here. Love the Kyoshi Warrior earrings, the_essence!

Awesome TM bag, noodle-bug!!

And CONGRATS pinkleo!!! Well-deserved!!  Cheesy
preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '__________________________________________________________________________________')
Class/Challenge/House Pride: Herbology
House: Gryffindor
Project Name: "Fall in Love" Wall Hanging
Project Page Link (if available): http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=414126.msg4894295#msg4894295
Brief Description: (how it fits the requirements, pattern/techniques/recipe used, any fun tips, etc.)

This was a joint effort with my husband, de6w6it. Two of our good friends are getting married this weekend, so we decided to collaborate on making their gift.

The focus of this project is a tree, carved with our friend's initials and with fall leaves for the season. The metal hangar is welded to look like a tree branch with a heart.

I hope they love it Smiley

Project Picture:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #189 on: September 11, 2012 06:28:34 AM »

thanks Smiley I have a new pinterst board to keep any badges on - I'm such a sucker for cool potter things the prospect of being able to claim a badge will keep me crafting!

also... less craftalong specific and just more me being rubbish with computers... how do you make the links you post have a different text than http://the_web_address_I'm_linking_to.com ?
Kiss SootBerry for the link help.

Badges are quite the perk!  I have a pinterest board for mine too. Grin

and...
~*OWL approved*~  Such a complicated Reparo spell to master and truly a project worthy of an OWL.  I'm sending you a pot of ever-hot nettle tea to keep you going.  Best of Luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 75 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Film and Edit Green Screen Video
How to Make Fake Blood for Halloween
Non-Linear Editing Basics in Final Cut Pro
Modern Horror: Mockumentary
How to Look Good on a TV Interview
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...