A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I figure out how much yarn I need for a wedding blanket?  (Read 773 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

twisted5whispers
Knit knit knit

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: August 28, 2012 12:17:22 PM »

My brother and his now fiance will be getting married in Dec. Short notice I know! I want to make them a blanket. I found an awesome picture with some details of what the maker used but no pattern. The link to the flicker page is here http://www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/3796120032/

I want to make it with super thick wool. Loops and Threads in particular. I went to Michael's today and got one ball to do a swatch of. I get 3 stitches per inch. I want to make it about the same size she made it. So I figured 90 stitches for the cast on to get 45 stitches per side, which would be about 15 in per square. 3 squares wide by 4 and it would be about 4ft by 5 ft. 

My only issues is how much yarn to buy. I don't want to worry about different lot numbers, and I don't mind just going out and buying some but I need some sort of rough estimate.

I will have 6 squares of one color, 3 of the other 2 and then the "fleece" colored yarn will be the in between color.

Any help would be super greatly appreciated!!!! I want to start this within the next few days!

Thank youuu!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in doing personal swaps! I can knit, crochet and sew. Smiley
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012 08:20:34 AM »

You know how much yardage was in the ball you got, measure the square inches of the swatch, then divide that into the square inches of the full blanket which is 2880. That should give you an estimate of how many balls you need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
twisted5whispers
Knit knit knit

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012 11:23:37 PM »

Thank you. I figured out something like 16 balls of yarn or so. To be save I went to the store and bought more yarn so I have 2 balls of the mc and another of the cc. And I have been knitting up a storm tonight. My next question is.... how many final rows will this square have? I cast on 90 stitches, so 45 per side. and I am decreasing 2 times every other row. I did some wonky math and figured out I would have 45 rows total, but I think I messed up. I wanted 5 color changes so I made each color 9, well actually 10 rows. I am to what is suppose to be the last row and it does NOT look like it will only be 10 rows.

This is what I have so far...

I'm kind of bummed. I thought I did all my calculations right. And I'm not sure if I should just keep knitting the 10 rows like I am or maybe make the last chunk all the red color and then as long as I make all the squares the same who cares? OR If I should take it out and recalculate how many rows so I can have 5 color changes?

C&C are VERY welcome!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in doing personal swaps! I can knit, crochet and sew. Smiley
soozeq
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012 06:37:35 AM »

It looks you can get another stripe  of red in there with a small diamond of white. I haven't done much mitered knitting and I prefer not to do it in garter anyway, so not sure how it would come out. Just work on it and when you have the first square finished you'll know how that works, and can tweak it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What is Tamarind
What is Sambal
What Are Panko Breadcrumbs
What is Palm Sugar
What Are Pandan Leaves
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...