A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 301,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 55
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Butterfly a-long (Rowan 37)  (Read 102820 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: January 05, 2006 01:01:14 AM »

Looks wonderful, juniper!  There are a few little issues with mine and my photo looks bad unfortunately (freak hailstorm had me using the flash), but here's my progress so far:

I'm doing it in the round, it's working out ok, like the rest of you I'm sort of fudging the edges to make sure I have the right amount of stitches in each row.  I'm up to the first decreases now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog, fingers and toes
juniperl13
The one with the stripes

you look like lunch to me! ^_^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #251 on: January 05, 2006 10:17:31 PM »

Alright, I'm to the point where I probably need to bind off my first frill and I'm starting to wonder...........what the hell is the point of knitting two frills and grafting them together? I can understand grafting the whole frill into a circle, but what is the point of making two short frills instead of one long one? The lace pattern runs the same direction all the way around, there aren't any selvage stitches that need to be accounted for, so.....wtf.

If I don't manage to wrap my poor disoriented mind around it soon I'll just make one long frill. Grafting more than is absolutely necessary is going to make me scream and break things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

Also, I have a blog at  http://neglectedblog.blogspot.com/
sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: January 06, 2006 11:49:55 AM »

Do the one long frill!  Go on, I dare you!  Are you doing the body in the round or flat?  I guess if you do it flat two pieces make sense - because you don't sew up the sides or graft the hem pieces until the end.  But I figured it would be easier to do one long frill, pick up ALL the stitches, and do it in the round.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bee17779
« Reply #253 on: January 06, 2006 01:22:16 PM »

Yeah, that's what I am going to do too. Knit them in the round. I read through the whole pattern though. The only 'problem' I might have is when the yarn over occurred at the edge which will occurred consecutively now when I knit in the round.

By the way, I am very far behind for butterfly. I slip it off the needle by accident and just couldn't get the same number of stitches back on. So I rip them and is redoing it now.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://beeknits.blogspot.com - My Knitting Blog
http://jadebeadradise.blogspot.com - My beaded jewelry shop
sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: January 06, 2006 02:32:51 PM »

Oh no!  I hate it when that happens with lace.  If you're a bit accident-prone I'd suggest using a lifeline - thread a bit of cotton through the stitches on the needle after every pattern repeat, then you only have to rip back to that if you screw up.

There are a few little mistakes showing up in my lace where I forgot to do YOs, but instead of ripping back I'm just fixing as I go... ok so it doesn't look great but it's not *too* obvious.  I'm a bit of a sloppy knitter!  The only thing is, Margaret Stove (famous lace knitter) is in my knitting group, I don't think I'll be showing this to her!

I'm only on row 19 so far... wonder how long this will take me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xxLENORExx
« Reply #255 on: January 06, 2006 02:38:23 PM »

i've always wanted to make this...

but i daon't have time right now. maybe next... Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\_/)
(o.o)
(><).  this is bunny. he says, "don't do drugs."
juniperl13
The one with the stripes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: January 06, 2006 03:57:35 PM »

Bugger. I was sort of planning to do this first Butterfly as the pattern wanted, but as my frill is already 24" long I'll apparently be doing it in the round. Oh, well. I have at least 2 more to make in different ways. Maybe I'll do the next one flat with a St st selvage (both frill and body) and then come up with some other variation for the third one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: January 06, 2006 07:04:58 PM »

Well, you know how everyone was having issues about what to do at the edges?  I read through the pattern again, and what the Rowan people said in their emails, and then all of a sudden it made sense.... look at what it tells you to do at the edges for size xl, and basically do that.  So it does actually have a st st selvedge.  Which would make it better to do flat than in the round, but as I said, I'm fudging it somewhat.  Hmm, I should probably also be doing the next size down to compensate for the lack of seams in mine.  Hopefully it'll work out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

juniperl13
The one with the stripes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #258 on: January 08, 2006 01:17:37 AM »

Oh my god, I am fudging this first one so badly. >_<

It took me 10 rows, 3 of which were unknitted a few times, to figure out how the lace pattern is supposed to look and correct the aforementioned 3 rows accordingly. Unfortunately, I suspect I may have done some of the first rows not quite right and that I should have picked up 4 fewer stitches from the frill than I did, so what is supposed to be the seams is sort of.........not quite right. Considering that I'm only on row 9, I may just rip out what I've done of the body and redo it, armed with my epiphanies.

This is so my own fault for knitting lace while drunk on Dayquil.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soapturtle
Turtle Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #259 on: January 08, 2006 03:26:17 AM »

Since it seems you prefer to knit from a chart, why don't you get graph paper and make yourself a chart?  If you are starting over anyway, then it's not that much of a setback and it will most likely help you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 55 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Look from Christian Dior Fall 2014
Get the Look from Prada Fall 2014
Get the Look from Versace Fall 2014
Get the Look from Gucci Fall 2014
Get the Look from Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2014
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...