A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
578 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 55
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Butterfly a-long (Rowan 37)  (Read 97692 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

juniperl13
The one with the stripes

you look like lunch to me! ^_^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: November 03, 2005 10:48:20 PM »

I put the kit on my birthday list.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

Also, I have a blog at  http://neglectedblog.blogspot.com/
ceedah
« Reply #191 on: November 05, 2005 07:19:12 AM »

Is anyone doing/has anyone done the dress version without beads?  I'm thinking I won't use them because I have OCD and let me tell you, it would be nightmarish trying to get the randomization to feel balanced!  I just can't do stuff like that!  Someone a while back mentioned using the beads to add weight, so I'm wondering if beadless dresses are still, well, weighty enough...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eunnyjang
« Reply #192 on: November 06, 2005 10:03:28 PM »

Mine isn't beaded.

Heh, and I know *exactly* what you mean.  The main reason I didn't do it was because I had sudden visions of me, hunched over graph paper, plotting out the placement of each and every bead for the most "natural" effect.

It might be different with KSH - the Zephyr I used is a little heavier, and not as floaty - but it hangs and drapes just fine without the beads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There will also be cocktail sauce.  -- Smoove B

See Eunny Knit!
ceedah
« Reply #193 on: November 07, 2005 12:07:47 AM »

Okay, cool, thanks.  Smiley  I'm not using KSH, anyway.  I think I'll just give it a go. 

Here are pictures of my progress - that is, I've finished the frills for the front and think I'm giving myself tendonitis by knitting so much so quickly.  But this strikes me as one of the types of projects where I've *got* to do it as quickly as possible, otherwise I'll lose interest.  (The only sweater I've ever completed was on size 4 needles, and I did it in a week.) 

Again, colors not very pretty cause of the flash.

Also, it seems a bit of a shame to me that so much of the detail of the frills is lost when they're stacked....ah well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knottygnome
« Reply #194 on: November 07, 2005 12:03:33 PM »

for those of you who made butterfly in the round--how on earth did you do the decreases/increases?  did you decrease on a pattern row or a plain row?  did you do the pattern using a multiple of 6 instead of the # of stitches the pattern tells you to cast on?  did you decrease 4 stitches on a decrease row?

i need help!  i've already frogged once and i think i'm going to again b/c i'm not happy with how it's turning out.  this has got to be the most agony inducing pattern i've ever attempted.  and yet i'm determined to persevere.  any advice would be very much appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ceedah
« Reply #195 on: November 08, 2005 12:40:28 PM »

Okay, guys, I started the main part...but something's wrong.  I'm sure I just screwed up the pattern.  It wouldn't look like this and still somehow be right, would it?  Can anyone who's finished (or at least gotten farther than me) tell where/how I messed up, or at least how far I should undo?   Undecided  I've done two repeats of the 8-row pattern, and this just ain't lookin like diamonds.  I was thinking I could just undo the last 8 rows, but maybe I screwed up before that. 

Here's the other thing: after reading someone's wish that they'd added some extra stitches on the edges, I added two on each side and was knitting them in stockinette.  My problem is that at the ends of the pattern rows, things haven't always come out right.  I'll be missing a stitch or have an extra.  I've just kind of fudged it, figuring that if anything looks funny, it'll just be at the very edge where it'll get sewn into the seam.  But is it possible that this is what's messed me up in the pattern...?

AACK. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veronique
« Reply #196 on: November 08, 2005 02:22:52 PM »

Ceedah: it's hard to tell from the photo, but since you mention that you don't always end up with those 2 st at each end, it's probable that you are making small mistakes.  If you are just one st off, it will show!  I noticed that you used some blue yarn as st markers.  You should make sure that you always *always* have 6 st between your markers.  If you don't, tink back and fix it.  I counted st on the reverse rows. 

One problem that I had was on the double decrease row.  The double decrease uses up 3 st.  These are the 3 st which form the stockinette diamond shape.  I was one st off when I started, so I had to knit one extra st. 

One thing that's good about charts is that you can tell what the st below is.  For ex, let's say you are knitting a st.  Look at the box underneath your knit st.  Let's say the st below is supposed to be a yo.  Perhaps in your work, you are knitting into a knit st.  That means you've forgotten to do a yo on the previous row.  Lesson here: if you can "read" your knitting, it will be a cinch to fix it!  (You just have to figure out what it is that you're fixing). 

I have to admit, your frills look perfect and that lace pattern is much harder!  So I'm confused.... 

Eunny and Ceedah: I'm confused (again).  The graph shows you the "random" placement of the beads.  I just followed that, and it does indeed look random. 

KnottyGnome: Shaping in a lace pattern is never easy.  I fudged it.  If I didn't have enough st for a repeat, I would either k all st, or do a partial repeat.  The sides of my dress don't look perfect. 
I placed markers where the seams would be, and dec/inc 4 st per row.  I worked my inc/dec on the plain rows. 
I cast on the recommended # of st.  This means I had partial repeats before and after each marker. 
Basically, I treated it as if I was knitting 2 independent halves on the same needle. 
Hope this helps! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ceedah
« Reply #197 on: November 08, 2005 02:37:20 PM »

Veronique, thank you.  Yeah, I realize the picture wasn't the best.  I'll try to do better in the future!  I think the double decrease row *is* where things started getting weird.  As for making sure that I always have six stitches between the markers, I did that, but I think the problem may lie in what I did when there weren't six stitches.  I would just rearrange them so that there *were*, but it occurs to me now that if there weren't six stitches, that probably means I did something wrong before and therefore messed up the pattern.  I have a habit of just messing around with things, crossing my fingers, and hoping it doesn't turn out *too* badly - works pretty well for most things, but I can tell that this is a relatively unforgiving pattern.  And as for why I'm finding the diamond pattern harder than the frill...well, I think it's because the frill consists of such short rows.  Much easier to tell when and where you've gone wrong.  And I did go wrong - out of both frills, I think there were only TWO repeats in which I did not have to undo something somewhere.  I was constantly undoing and redoing rows, but with the 87-stitch rows on the main part of the dress, I feel like it's a lot less worth my while to go back if I think I can fudge it.  What I've learned now is that I can't fudge it, and that I'm going to have to undo a whole lot more rows!  Yipes!  Anyway, thanks also for the tip on checking the row below on the chart - that's a good point and one I hadn't thought of.

As for the "random" placement of beads, I looked at that in the chart but noticed that there are no beads on the first and last row...I figured that was just something for the first repeat and that it might look funny if I didn't have any beads on the first row of the repeat every time.  But if it worked for you...good to know!  I still think I'm gonna stick with the beadless route just for simplicity's sake. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jemjerika
« Reply #198 on: November 08, 2005 03:28:00 PM »

Long after completing this project I discovered a tip that would really have helped. You can YO at the end of a row, just hold the YO in place while you turn your work and then knit into the back of it on the next row. It doesn't help a lot with the decreases though. I can't imagine keeping track of those in the round. Good luck, ladies, you are braver than I.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.oneandonlycrafts.etsy.com - One&Only Yarns on Etsy
meco

Agent Provocateur

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 08, 2005 05:32:23 PM »

Juniper, I'm in a similar pickle.  I can't justify the $20 Rowan - I prefer to blow would-be food and rent money on actual yarn. 

same here. I simply cannot afford it for one pattern Sad Oh how gorgeous it is though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 55 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Prefab Homes
Coastal Architecture
Scott Dadich on the Law of Optical Volumes
Swiss Design: Built to Last
Conveying Passion and Feeling with Movement
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...