A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 55
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Butterfly a-long (Rowan 37)  (Read 101749 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

buki
« on: June 29, 2005 10:34:24 AM »

i finally figured out what i want to do with my 1 huge ball of handpaintedyarn's lace wool (it was originally going to be used for Branching Out from knitty for a mother's day present but it arrived too late). i don't know if this is really a good yarn to use for Butterfly but i'm gonna give it a try. i just started mine's last night and went through 4 repeats of the bottom lace hem. lace always looks pretty wonky when it's not blocked  Lips sealed hope it will look better after blocking. oh and i'm making the dress version of it btw.

pic from the rowan book: http://www.theknittinggarden.com/images/rowan/mag/mag37/butterfly.jpg

anyone want to join the knit-a-long?  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010 01:36:05 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kathyruth
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2005 05:01:27 AM »

I tried to make this and I couldn't do it.  Way too hard for me.  Yours looks great and can't wait to see it when it's finished.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pseudobunny

pseudobunny&co.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005 09:38:14 AM »

ooooh! i love this rowan!
i am doing martha...wish i could wear the butterfly, but this body isnt as skinny as the model ... and well i can let you guess the rest..Wink
good luck. and please post the finished work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i read banned books
veronique
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005 01:26:58 PM »

Buki, this is perfect timing!  I just started making Butterfly, and in exactly the same color as yours.  I am using the recommended KSH in Liqueur.  I decided to make the dress in the round because it didn't make sense to me to make 2 pieces and scratch my head while trying to seam lace...  So I made the bottom trim in one long piece (114 cm instead of 2 pieces at 57cm each), and did a 3 needle bind-off.  Then I picked up stitches in the round.  Katyruth, I have to admit that I don't have the lace pattern down pat, and I have to look at my notes for *each* stitch.  I've made a few mistakes and had to tink back a little too...  But it's worth it! 
Here's a pic of the trim in progress. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
buki
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005 10:56:42 PM »

i think where it asks for two (inner and outter hem frill)  pieces is because it's two different colors and one (the main color) is over the secondary color. so the bottom hem frill is slightly more "poofier" and makes the lace pattern pop out more. i also think it's because it's easier picking up stitches through the two short layered bottom hem frills that's asked in the pattern instead of two long layered hem frills.  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

veronique
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2005 09:20:29 AM »

Oops, I didn't mention that I scraped the 2-layers-of-frill idea.  I thought one frill was frilly enough for me!  That, and it took me a looong time to make one hem, and I didn't feel like making another...   Wink
Buki, how are you coming along?  Will you make 2 frills? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockadot
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005 01:30:57 PM »

i'd love to do this. any suggestions for yarn substitutions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

buki
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005 05:48:26 PM »

yep. i'm using two layers Smiley so the dress would have a little bit of weight at the bottom which i think is good. here's a pic of how far i'm into it.  Cheesy it's hard to see the beads. they're so tiny.

the hem frill looks pretty wonky right now, very textured but hopefully when i block out the pieces it'll look much more appealing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slimissaw
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005 11:15:27 PM »

wow!  that is sooo beautiful, buki!!  the pic on your blog doesnt do it justice!  I cant wait to see the finished product!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Simply do not ask me what this is all about, parce que je ne sais pas, mes chers." --Holly.

http://needlephile.blogspot.com
Kerry Berry
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005 09:13:22 PM »

Normally I hate knit dresses--99% of the time they don't drape right.  I love this one, though.  I ordered my yarn and Rowan mag tonight.  Hopefully they'll arrive sometime next week.  I also hope that this isn't too hard for me; I'm adventurous, but sometimes stupid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 55 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Your Beauty Routine in Shape for the New Year
Best and Worst Beauty Trends of 2013
How To: A Punk Hairstyle You Can Easily Rock
Nicole Scherzinger Makeup Look Tutorial
8 Fashion Mistakes That Instantly Age You
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...