A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,560
Currently Running With Scissors:
689 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 55
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Butterfly a-long (Rowan 37)  (Read 98551 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grrrlennyl
« Reply #390 on: August 16, 2006 09:30:25 AM »

cool!  i'm definitely going the cheap-bead route.

i think i'm going to grab (along with a 24" cord) knitpicks needle tips in 4s, 5s, 6s, and 7s.  that should take care of any problems / preferences with the look of the lace on this puppy.

that is, if all of you folks who have worked on this pattern think that buying super-pointy needles would have helped.  this will be my first real lace project, so i'm trying to make it as easy on myself as possible. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cnp71201
« Reply #391 on: August 16, 2006 09:52:45 AM »

I think extra-pointy needles are a good idea. I wish I had pointier ones for this, but I can't afford new needles right now.

This project is not going well for me. One thing that really sucks about knitting lace is that if you have to rip out, it's harder to figure out exactly where the stitches were. Any pointers for being sure to get all the stitches on a previous row when you rip?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
grrrlennyl
« Reply #392 on: August 16, 2006 09:59:00 AM »

lifelines!!!  seriously, run a lifeline (i like to use embroidery floss.) through every pattern repeat or two.  it's a lifesaver.  the only other way, really, is to tink back, and we all know that tinking back a bunch of rows is no fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grrrlennyl
« Reply #393 on: September 28, 2006 11:12:12 AM »

hi, again.

well, i purchased beads to use on my butterfly and then couldn't decide whether or not i really wanted to use them.  this inability to make a decision was spurred on by the fact that the crochet hook i had purchased didn't fit into the beads i got.  dur.

anyway, i thought, to hell with the beads.  so, now i'm on the 16th of 24 (i think) repeats on the frill.  i had some major issues when i tried to start the frill, but now things are going smoothly.  (lifelines are awesome.  use them.  for real.)

my only question is...i've noticed most people making theirs with between 10 and 12 repeats of the frill pattern on each side.  i was (based on my measurements of the frill size unstretched) planning on doing 17.  since i'm aiming for the small size (44cm for each size of the frill.), i think that will be way too much.  currently, i'm planning on doing 24 total repeats (i'm working this puppy in the round once i get to the body.).  what do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

juniperl13
The one with the stripes

you look like lunch to me! ^_^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: September 28, 2006 01:36:51 PM »

Well, when you block it the frill is going to stretch lengthwise like you wouldn't believe, so I'd recommend redoing your measurements with a repeat or two of it dryblocked to a comfortable (not strained) size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

Also, I have a blog at  http://neglectedblog.blogspot.com/
knit_north
« Reply #395 on: September 28, 2006 02:11:41 PM »

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeee
my wool arrived today! so many other things to finish first ..... but soon very soon
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pamplemousse
« Reply #396 on: October 11, 2006 06:52:53 PM »

Hey everyone! I finshed Butterfly a few months ago- for my wedding dress!

I was the most frustrating thing I have ever knit, and it took me months to finish, and I totally screwed up the entire stitch pattern, but it was totally worth it.

My husband made me a color-coded Excel spreadsheet to help me figure out the pattern. He's awesome!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm covered in bees!
cnp71201
« Reply #397 on: October 11, 2006 07:33:06 PM »

Aww, that is so sweet. Your butterfly is beautiful! It makes a great wedding dress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
echornor
« Reply #398 on: October 12, 2006 07:06:00 AM »

That's such a beautiful dress, and your husband is so lucky to have you, hope you have a good life together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cranberry
« Reply #399 on: October 12, 2006 09:24:03 AM »

Hey everyone! I finshed Butterfly a few months ago- for my wedding dress!

I was the most frustrating thing I have ever knit, and it took me months to finish, and I totally screwed up the entire stitch pattern, but it was totally worth it.

My husband made me a color-coded Excel spreadsheet to help me figure out the pattern. He's awesome!

Eeeeh! You look gawgeous. It looks lovely on you!

I really need to attempt this, I really do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 55 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Origins of Tintin
How to Create a Phenakistoscope
Supervillain Origins: Electro
How to Clean Oil Paint Off Paintbrushes
Supervillain Origins: The Riddler
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...