A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 298,240
Currently Running With Scissors:
702 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 55
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Butterfly a-long (Rowan 37)  (Read 100793 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ShaSha
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2005 06:10:30 PM »

Eilene, I found that I need to count after every row that increases or decreases. Then I can fix it by pulling up a YO on each end or undoing a K2 tog or whatever the case may be if the count is off. It is not mindless for sure, but you get the hang of it after a few rows. You just need to be diligent. Don't give up just yet!!    Wink    I think this one will be worth it in the end.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eilene
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2005 06:43:07 PM »

Thanks Shasha!!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Raw Dreams~
buki
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2005 07:05:52 PM »

yes, don't give up on it yet! i've been doing what ShaSha has been saying. after several rows you'll get the hang of it.

last night i was so sleepy but i wanted to get to the armhole shaping soon so i kept going. 24 rows after my last decrease was done. but oh wait! x_x the next morning i just noticed a passage that i missed out on reading. i was supposed to start increasing after the 11th row so i had to un-knit 12 rows since this morning. argh! but i haven't given up yet! *shakes fist* i love the look of the dress so much that i MUST have it! ;o;
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005 07:08:24 PM by buki » THIS ROCKS   Logged

eilene
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2005 07:19:26 AM »

Oh Buki...I woulds have freaked out. Not only the fact that you had to frog...but I know with the Kidsilk Haze, there is no froging as it stitcks together. That is why I HAVE to be extremely careful! I guess the only way is to unknit! I hope all worked out! :-)

Thanks guys for hanging with me. I knew there was a reason to love knitalongs. I luv ya guys!!

Eilene
http://eiknit.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Raw Dreams~
veronique
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2005 09:09:54 AM »

Eilene, I hope we can answer all your questions!  (And it seems like ShaSha and Buki have already done so).  I don't want you to give up... 
Here's my little secret (which you already know if you look carefully at my pics): I used stitch markers between *every* *single* *repeat*.  At the beginning, for the size 36", you have 16 repeats per side.  Yes, that's a lot of st markers...  But it was essential in helping me figure out if   when I had fudged the pattern. 
Another tip: on the purled row -which for me is a "knit" row, since I'm working in the round- I keep track of what I'm knitting.  What I mean is that I'm chanting "yo-k3-yo-dble dec" or " yo-dec-K1-dec-yo-K1" over and over as I'm knitting into each st.  That way I can spot a mistake and fix it.  And believe me, I made every possible mistake you can make with Butterfly (including forgetting to knit every other row, doing the same lace row twice and staggering the lace).  Then of course, I casually post a pic here, as if it were nothing....   

And finally, I must announce that I have hit a road block.  *sigh*  Apparently, although I am getting st gauge, I am not getting row gauge.  I am 2/3 of the way through the pattern, about to hit the "dec every 4th row" part, and my dress is already 70 cm long (total is 80cm).  It is too long!  I'm afraid that if the final dress is too long, I won't be able to walk in it.  However, if I knit the increases every 6th or 8th row instead of every 12th row, do you think it will alter the shape/fit of the dress?   Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eilene
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2005 09:50:27 AM »

Not that I'm happy about this...but at least I know I'm not the only one who is having problems. ShaSha & I both emailed Rowan to tell them about the problems with this pattern. The turnaround time  for a response is 7-10 days. That's a long time, but at least they will be aware of this problem & hopefully they will do an errata page. When I find out anything, I Will let you guys know.

On a good note...
I finally did a test pattern that all of the 8 row repeats are right!! Woohoo!! I now know what I have to do to get it right. I just picked up the 71 sts & am going to start the body, as soon as I get off the internet. ;-)

Veronique ~ stitch markers are a GOOD thing. I used them the whole time on my Birch shawl & it really helped make me aware if I made a mistake & then could easily fix it right away. I would do the increases when you said instead of every 12th row. Hopefully that will help the length. What size needles are you using?

In fact...what size needle is every one using? Just curious!

Have a great day!
Eilene
http://eiknit.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Raw Dreams~
veronique
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2005 10:07:38 AM »

I emailed Rowan as well!   Angry  I also think they could give a few more measurements on the schematic diagram. 

I'm using size 7 needles, because I know with a delicate fiber like KSH, I don't want to pull it so tightly, therefore my gauge is looser.  I assumed that going down one needle size would ensure I'd get gauge.  Ha! 

Eilene: Congrats! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eilene
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2005 10:09:52 AM »

I really hope Rowan does something about this!

I'm using a size 7 also!

Thanks!  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Raw Dreams~
buki
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2005 12:44:22 PM »

gaaaah~ i was up all night finishing up the first panel. just got around to pinning it out on my bed now (wish i could pin it on the floor but my floors are hardwood). here are links to the pics and hopefully it gives some ideas on what to do (like counting the diamond shapes). o_o; if you noticed, i screwed up on the 2nd row of diamonds n_n;; i noticed this some time ago already and thought it was too late to fix it so i kept going. at least it didn't screw with my stitch count. a lot of us are doing the smallest size so i hope this panel will help as a visual guide.

the panel

close-up with beads

hope you gals get an answer from rowan. i'd like to know more on this pattern as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HopeC
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2005 01:13:42 PM »

Can someone tell me how many stitches are in a repeat of the body pattern? 

Ei just told me about this forum.  I am just getting ready to start, once I decide what color to use.  I think I will do it in the round.  It doesn't make sense to seam lace if I can avoid it.

Thanks,
Hope
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 55 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sparkling Cranberries
Perfect Pie Crust
Divinity Candy Recipe
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
How to Make a Raspberry Torte
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...