A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: dorm room craftniess drama  (Read 7450 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissB.Haven

I <3 my hot glue gun

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2005 10:31:43 AM »

So i wanted to start this for anyone who is starting college and staying in a dorm or suite(like me) or is going to start college soon.  Anyone who has gone through this process knows how expensive it can get so... I was thinking that someone would be able to list ideas, projects, or any tips they have to survive college life. They used during college or before whenever really, to aid in the blank ickyness of the white walled dorm.

For mine im making my own curtains, and spray painting boxes that i can label with things like towel and dishes.

OK your turn now Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We dont smoke it, We just sell it.  We reserve that right for the young, the poor, the black, and the stupid"
-Tobacco Indusrty Executive
Reality Check, not against somking just the companies that try to get teens to
LRS
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005 11:49:29 AM »

1.  Bathroom supplies - you need a bag or something for your shampoo, soap, lotions, etc,  You could:
    - crochet a bag
    - make something out of vinyl or duct tape - make sure there are holes for drainage and ventilation
    - use a mesh onion or potato bag - add a drawstring at the top

2.  Instead of a bulletin board, use a board, foamcore or even cardboard.  Cover with thin foam or some other light padding.  Cover again with a pretty fabric.  (Staple the edges of the fabric to the back of your board.) Tack some ribbons in a criss-cross pattern over the board.  Now tuck in the photo, postcards, notes, etc that you want on the wall.

3.  If you need bookends, decorate some bricks now.  Or use them as is.  You could glue some felt on the bottom so they won't scratch the shelf so much.

4.  Make a photo collage of your family and/or high school friends.  It does help with the separation. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
RobertBlue
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005 04:17:26 PM »

1.  If at all possible, craft something together to keep your drug-dealing, binge drinking roommates out of your stuff.  Try decoupaging a safe, spray painting your locks, and crocheting/knitting/sewing safety restraints to lock down your laptop.

2.  Go to a school where you are actually allowed to bring in furniture.  They won't even allow a small night stand at my school.

3.  If you are going to school in a major city, try to keep your book/music/DVD purchases to a minimum - you will have more access then ever to your favorite hard to find items, but it's not worth it when you are then forced to survive on cafeteria food until your parents send you more money.

4.  If you hang posters on the wall, make sure you hang them up very tightly.  Otherwise, your drug-dealing roommates will take down your original printing advertising poster for a Broadway show that lasted less then 10 performances with the most beautiful score ever and draw tattoo designs all over the back.

5.  Lock away anything you care about if you are leaving even for a night.  Roommates like to get drunk and break your limited edition horror film villains resin bobblehead dolls that you snatched up at the last minute and then cried when you lost leatherface and pinhead to a "oops, sorry dude, we threw a party last night" accident.

6.  Take up as much of the closet as possible to store all of your stuff.

7.  If possible, use bedlifts to add extra height to your bed for underbed storage (that's how I got to keep over 10 different instruments I frequently write for, perform, and practice on in my room).

8.  Do not take up acrylic painting/stenciling/bookbinding/collaging for the first time ever while in college.  You will be cleaning up furniture provided by the school, unquestionably, for hours.

9.  For God's sake, lock up your stuff. 

10.  Try not to be stuck rooming with a drug-dealer.  If that is not possible, fight as hard as you can for a transfer.  And if that doesn't happen, cry.

Hmmm...not very crafty.  And a little bitter.  Next semester has to definitely be better in the dorm situation, otherwise I'll be apartment hunting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GreatBallofFire
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005 04:37:36 PM »

I just got home from orientation today and found out that there are perks to being a science geek! We have 10 and 12 foot ceilings! What do I do with that much wall space? Vintage french posters are great at eye level, but seem like such a waste any higher (even if the beds are lofted). Any ideas for that MUCH vertical wall space?

Regarding suggestions, I got this from a male non-crafty friend of mine, suprising.
Get one of those spring loaded shower curtian rod thingies in the bath department. Make a curtian and hang it above your bed. If you don't have a class until noon and your room mate favors 8am lectures, a curtian will save you BIG time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Knitting Journal
www.sticksnloans.blogger.com
MissB.Haven

I <3 my hot glue gun

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005 05:11:56 PM »

those are some awesmoe suggestions.  At my school they supply us with all of our furniture so it kind of sucks that i cant really have any cool peices.  But a big bonus our bedroom doors have locks on them.  So i dont really have the drunked room mates problem.  As for GreatBallofFire have you looked into any "hippie" wall hangings some of them are huge.  you could even hang a quit that you made or someone you know made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We dont smoke it, We just sell it.  We reserve that right for the young, the poor, the black, and the stupid"
-Tobacco Indusrty Executive
Reality Check, not against somking just the companies that try to get teens to
wishelle
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005 01:27:46 PM »

my mom and i make bulletin boards out of ceiling tiles. they're about 2' by 2', and a sheet rock-ish material. she buys them in boxes from home depot, i believe. we decorate them with acrylic paint and ribbon, and then put little pom poms on the puch pins. they're cute and actually work really well...good gift idea.

i'm planning on painting one my school colors for my dorm room this fall, so i thought i'd share.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

opinions are immunity to being told you're wrong...paper, rock, and scissors-they all have their pros and cons...
ellseybell

It's a hard job being a beautiful assistant...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005 05:05:26 PM »

Something random I did my freshman year... my school wasn't big on me writing on the walls (go figure), so I put quotations on the walls by cutting out individual letters from magazines, flyers, etc. and spelling everything out. It didn't fill a whole lot of space, but it did give my room a slightly different flavor from all the others on my hall.

Christmas lights (if you're allowed to have them... we weren't) are great, as are hanging paper lanterns.

Don't overlook the dollar store in your town. It's especially great when you want to decorate for holidays... don't spend a lot of money on stuff you're not keeping up all year.

Yeah, I'm not much help. My dorm room was not the most exciting; let's hope my first house turns out better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever." -- Judge Judy
dinosaurshateemo
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005 05:31:35 PM »

sheets make great wall hangings, especially since you can pin things up to them.

i covered my entire closet doors with about 300 pictures last year to make a giant collage.

i also got one of those 3M hooks to put by the door to hang my keys. that way i always knew where they were.

homeade loft beds are the best since you can nail things into them, paint them, draw on them, or whatever else you would like to do. plus it gives you a lot more floor space to work with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pettifogger
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005 02:51:18 PM »

1.  If you're looking for storage for CDs and such, find out whether the local wine store (or even Cost Plus) has empty wood wine crates they'll give you.  They're usually just cheap pine boxes with some cool burned-in vineyard logos.  You can use as-is if you don't mind splinters, or sand down and spray with a clear coat. 

2.  If your area has cheap fabric-by-the-poud stores, scour them for fabric that can be either a)  stretched over a frame as art or b) glued to the wall using a starch mixture.  The starch mixture allows you to remove the fabric later (but there might be quite a bit of cleanup involved, I'm not sure).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewantstoknow
"sometimes you just gotta say What the FUCK?"

"I'm damaged bad at best"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2005 08:30:20 PM »

i'm sure you have all heard this one before but you can buy chalkboard paint and paint a piece of cardboard or wood (really anything works) to make a cool place for your friends to say hi when they visit your amazingly awesome room...it is especially fun if you invest in funky colored chalk (the kind that coffe shops use to write their special drinks).....just because it looks cooler .....  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm in love with the world/ through the eyes of a girl/ who's still around/ the morning after"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Apple, Cinnamon and Pecan Tea Cake Recipe
Watertown Relish Radio Show
Watertown School Cooking Visit
Discovering Limburger Cheese
Watertown South Dakota County Fair
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...