A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: crayon tinted lip balm?  (Read 2638 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tygir

I am a leaf on the wind

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 29, 2005 09:54:56 AM »

Good/Bad idea? would it do anything? just curious really since they are non-toxic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hakue
Creative Chaos

You can't put that on a steak and eat it!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005 10:30:49 AM »

You mean like mixing crayons with vaseline or something?  That woudl be cool!  I wonder how it would work...now you've got me curious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art."
Tom Stoppard  

Horrah for quotes! Cheesy
pibbgirl
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005 10:33:55 AM »

I would think it would smell too much like....crayons.  Cheesy  I usually throw lip balm away when the smell starts to remind me of crayons (usually after its melted in the car a few times). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

squeaky-queen
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005 10:42:33 AM »

Not all pigments used in crayons are approved by the FDA for cosmetic use.  They are non-toxic, but not cosmetically approved.

If it works for you, that's great, but I wouldn't sell/give these away without either letting people know what they're made of or finding some FDA approved colorants  Smiley

I bet it would work, though.  Crayons are just colorants in wax. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tygir

I am a leaf on the wind

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2005 06:38:35 AM »

ok, so i tried it using beeswax, oil and honey. it definately tints the actual lip balm.. and i think it adds just a teensy bit of color to my lips. it smells mostly like honey/wax. maybe next time i'll put a drop of vanilla in there. yay for experimenting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bedhairbandit

got the devils haircut in my mind

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005 10:55:28 PM »

i would probably get a rash.

rash + lips = ohhmygoshidontwantt othinkaboutthat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

these are the days when you wish your bed was already made.
TheSupy

Can you handle the Supyness?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005 11:01:24 PM »

You might as well buy a jar of honey with some honeycomb. Microwave the comb a couple seconds and put a couple drops of foodcoloring to that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
motleykitten

Fuck nosejobs. Jewish Noses are HOT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005 01:41:18 AM »

Well, don't take my word for it, but the crayon idea is probably safe, even though they are not "approved" for cosmetic use by the FDA. If my son can eat a pack of Crayolas, you can throw a tiny bit of crayon into your lip gloss and live to tell the tale. Also, I hear that boiling arrowroot powder and putting it in lipbalm tints it reddish, but I haven't tried it so I don't know if it really works.
I buy stuff from this website all the time- http://www.seedman.com (be sure to scroll down to "Rachel's Supply") - they sell everything you need to make lipgloss (untinted) and other cool homemade stuff. I made all my X-mas gifts from this site when I was in my first year of college! Plus, they have "recipes" to make cosmetics and bath products, as well as a message board. If you get really good and want to sell your own, they sell containers too.
Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Up yours, young people. You and your rock and roll 8-track tapes!
tagurity
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005 10:24:31 AM »

Not all pigments used in crayons are approved by the FDA for cosmetic use.  They are non-toxic, but not cosmetically approved.

If it works for you, that's great, but I wouldn't sell/give these away without either letting people know what they're made of or finding some FDA approved colorants  Smiley

I bet it would work, though.  Crayons are just colorants in wax. 

good point.  also, if you tried to market it, since the ingredients are not FDA approved, this could mean BIG trouble for you.  I would stick to dyes specifically FOR lip balms or even koolaid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kati
meg4568
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005 10:40:40 AM »

i think i would buy it just because it has crayons in it. I love crayons. i want to be a crayon. plus you could always put one of those fake "not intended as a cosmetic" notes on it like people do when the sell cigars on ebay as collectors items "meant for colloection puropses only"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Holiday Party Appetizers - Artichoke Dip
Quick & Easy Holiday Party Appetizers
How to Finish Steaks on the Grill
Preparing and Grilling Steaks
How to Grill Hot Dogs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...