A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,317
Currently Running With Scissors:
480 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: M&P Questions- I am *SO* confused  (Read 1143 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JessiokaFroka
Lieutenant Commander

EVIL shenanigans!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 31, 2005 07:07:23 PM »

Alrighty, first of all, this is my first post here, and I'm very much intruiged by this site! I've wanted to make my own soap for a while now, and from what I can gather, Melt & Pour soaps are the easiest to make. So here are my questions:

~ Is m&p simple glycerin? Do I have to add anything to it besides dyes and oils?
~ Do I have to go out and buy a specific m&p kit? If so, where?
~ What kinds of oils should/can I use, and where do I get them?

Thanks for any help you guys can muster up! I really appreciate it Smiley

-Jess
THIS ROCKS   Logged
squeaky-queen
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005 07:43:47 AM »

You can order soap bases online, or buy them in a craft store.  You can color them with food coloring, and usually the places you buy the base from will offer scents or essential oils for use with soap as well.  Some essential oils (like lemon, orange, and peppermint) are commonly found in health food stores.

Of course, you can add all sorts of other things to the soap as well, like clays, cocoa butter, dried botanicals, glitter, etc.

It's not difficult to make - it's just that it takes quite a bit of experimentation to find what works for you Smiley

Here are some popular soap base suppliers:

www.thesage.com
www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com
www.brambleberry.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JessiokaFroka
Lieutenant Commander

EVIL shenanigans!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005 08:39:37 PM »

Wow, thanks SO much! I actually made a couple of melt and pour soaps and I'm REALLY happy with them! I found a bunch of cheap molds in thrift stores and used red food coloring and my strawberry shortcake perfume for my fist bar and it looked awesome! Thanks so much Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paintednightsky
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005 07:02:51 PM »

Does anyone know the difference between this and rebatch soaps?  I've been wondering this for awhile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soywholesale
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005 04:46:07 PM »

Hi Jess,

You may want to check out my company Soy Wholesale.  We carry a melt and pour base that is cheaper than most places on the net and still a very high qualitiy!  We have a soap guide and are available for any advice or help with your products over the phone.  We carry everything you will need, as well as lotions and other personal care bases!

Hope to hear from you,

Mike Oothoudt
Soy Wholesale
www.soywholesale.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mike Oothoudt
www.soywholesale.com
866-502-4764
motleykitten

Fuck nosejobs. Jewish Noses are HOT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005 01:45:36 AM »

I used to work with middle school kids at a community center, and they went NUTS for M & P soap projects. I used the glycerine kind, and it is easy and fun.
HOWEVER, (and I don't know if this is true for coconut-, olive oil- or soy-based soap) M&P soap STINKS really bad when you melt it, and often the smell cannot be covered up by the essential oils that you use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Up yours, young people. You and your rock and roll 8-track tapes!
Scream-a-little
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005 02:20:23 AM »

M&P soap is a lot of fun to make... and fun to experiment with.. my lastest batch was chocolate orange, chocolate & peanut butter, and straight chocolate.. the chocolate orange is too die for.. there is a lot of recipes on the net for all kinds of ways to do it..
and mike u have some great fragrances on ur site.. just wondering if u ship to canada???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One shoe can change your life"   Cinderella
soywholesale
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005 07:30:33 AM »

We can certainly ship to Canada, If you order or use the contact us, I can get you a shipping qoute.  Just provide your complete address, what you want, and email to send it back to you.  We only charge actual shipping, so you could also figure it out by using our zip code 56007 and USPS priority mail, adding insurance and delivery confirmation to where you are.

Oh and Motley Kitten Melt and Pour has come a long way since the beginings of this base and it all depends on the base you are using, but most these days do not have that chemical smell to them anymore, and are easily covered up with fragrance to make GREAT smelling bars.

M&P soap is a lot of fun to make... and fun to experiment with.. my lastest batch was chocolate orange, chocolate & peanut butter, and straight chocolate.. the chocolate orange is too die for.. there is a lot of recipes on the net for all kinds of ways to do it..
and mike u have some great fragrances on ur site.. just wondering if u ship to canada???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mike Oothoudt
www.soywholesale.com
866-502-4764
motleykitten

Fuck nosejobs. Jewish Noses are HOT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005 08:35:04 PM »

Oh and Motley Kitten Melt and Pour has come a long way since the beginings of this base and it all depends on the base you are using, but most these days do not have that chemical smell to them anymore, and are easily covered up with fragrance to make GREAT smelling bars.

Good to hear! It is so fun to make, and I am happy that funky smell is no longer an issue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Up yours, young people. You and your rock and roll 8-track tapes!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Parfait You Can Make in 30 Seconds!
How to Make Nutella Pancakes
Warm Crème Anglaise Cake with Katherine Heigl
How to Make a Chocolate Banana Strudel
How to Make Egg Biscotti
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...