A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
333 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First Stencil....HELP  (Read 1560 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thehappycrochetchic
« on: August 26, 2012 05:49:32 PM »

I am attempting to make my first stencil with this image...

But I am not sure which is suppose to be painted and which is suppose to stay the color of the background fabric, should I cut out the small pieces and paint just the small pieces in which the majority of the face will stay the background color? Or should I cut it in a way that the majority of the face is painted and the smaller pieces stay the color of the fabric?

Also, can you use acrylic paint and will it wash out or should u use fabric paint??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/jcarter462/

I love personal swaps!!
Message me...

Always looking to add to my hoopla wall...Wanna trade?
FeliciaSlayDCRG
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012 07:29:16 PM »

You should cut out what is "black" in the stencil shown and paint what you've cut out.  If you cut out the majority, you'd have to lay each small black piece back down where it should go, like a puzzle, and I'd imagine it would be incredibly hard to do.

I use fabric paint.  I've never used acrylic on fabric, mainly bc I didn't want to have to redo the stencil, just in case it didn't work out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeapFeetFirst
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012 09:04:54 PM »

You can use acrylic paint if you add a fabric or textile medium to it. This makes the paint permanent after heat setting. I've used this product in the past: http://www.joann.com/folkart-acrylic-textile-medium-2-oz/prd10145/

THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012 11:08:52 PM »

You can use normal acrylic paint too, with out the fabric additive.  But it is more likely to crack.  But if you do a few light layers of paint, it stays pretty well.  And the better the acrylic paint the more likely it will stay.  I love Martha Stewart acrylic paint.  Also, when it is dry, cover it with parchment paper and iron it...helps to set it into the shirt.  and OO yeah, it is helpfull before you paint, to take a sheet of waxed freezer paper (not the same as waxed paper BTW), put it in the shirt with the waxy part facing the side you will be printing on, then iron it down.  The wax will make a bit of a seal on the inside and help to keep the paint from bleeding
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
Bobbysgirl
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012 04:18:37 AM »

Whenever I used plain acrylic paint, it always faded and ran in the wash, but I never heat set it. Definitely put something between the layers of whatever you are stenciling, because sometimes it will bleed through, and then you have a stuck together project and a big blob of paint on the other side when you finally get them apart. If you cut them all out instead of free hand painting, you will have crisper lines. Good luck, and be sure to post it when you try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012 08:10:41 AM »

The rule of thumb with stenciling is, if you're using a light coloured shirt, cut out the dark pieces on your image and paint with a dark colour, if you're using a dark coloured shirt, cut out the light pieces of your image and paint with a light colour.
The stencil you have chosen lends itself to a light coloured shirt, cut out the dark pieces, paint with a darker colour.
This link might be helpful:
http://stencilry.org/main/index.php/coordinating-colors-and-inverting/

I always use acrylic paint and have never had a problem with running or fading.  I don't use an iron to heat-set, just throw the item in the dryer for a cycle before I wash it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012 08:28:09 AM »

I used to put them in the dryer.  Then, one day, when I took it out, the paint had all fused together.  It was some kind of cheap acrylic paint..and then that's when I learned all acrylic paint is not the same.  Michael's acrylics suck, as do the house brand for JoAnns...in my humble opinion Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
thehappycrochetchic
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012 05:01:54 PM »

wow thanks for the advice, I used mostly fabric paint with a little acrylic since the fabric paint was so thick, is this okay?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.pinterest.com/jcarter462/

I love personal swaps!!
Message me...

Always looking to add to my hoopla wall...Wanna trade?
suereal

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012 05:29:49 PM »

As long as it mixes together on your pallet and you cure it as the paint might sugest (you can burn things..but it is hard) you should be OK.  It is a good idea to wash the shirt inside out BTW.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012 07:45:16 AM »

I used to put them in the dryer.  Then, one day, when I took it out, the paint had all fused together.  It was some kind of cheap acrylic paint..and then that's when I learned all acrylic paint is not the same.  Michael's acrylics suck, as do the house brand for JoAnns...in my humble opinion Grin

Hmmm...that would suck.  I guess I have to be careful.
I hear you about cruddy paint. I threw out most of my cheapo acrylics recently.  Better to spend the extra $ per bottle, better coverage... more stable...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Natural Solution to Smooth Wrinkles
Nail The Nude Manicure Like A Pro!
50s Pin Up Makeup Tutorial
Sneak Peek: Birchbox January 2014
Top 5 Winter Beauty Essentials
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...