A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,392
Currently Running With Scissors:
848 Guests and 48 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lolita skirts & tutus by Gobbolino - how would I make these?  (Read 1967 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Izzy
« on: June 29, 2005 09:06:53 AM »

My friend owns an alternative shop in Bath, UK, which sells these beautiful lolita skirts by Gobbolino. I would gladly buy one (so my friend would be making the profit, rather than if I bought them directly from the company) but they seem to be ridiculously overpriced at 35 ($63).

Here are some pictures of the style of skirt, they come directly from the website but I've uploaded them to my own space, so I'm not stealing their bandwidth. Wink

Gobbolino also make gorgeous tutus - I would kill for one of these babies.

So the question is, how could I make these? [I'm very interested in making one of the lolita skirts]. I wouldn't call myself a cheapskate, but seriously - if you see one of those skirts in the flesh, you'll notice that there's less than a yard of fabric used in total, and a bit of eyelet lace. Which seriously does not equate to 35 worth of components.

If you'd like to look at clothes on their website, browse the Catalogue section on Gobbolino.co.uk
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005 09:16:27 AM »

So it would be very easy. One way is to just cut a long legnth of fabric and make an elastic casing for the waist the elastic will gather the the skirt, making it gathered at the waist and fuller at the hem. Then sew the lace or second fabric to the "hem" of the skirt. The more "advanced" way would be to make a circle skirt with a waistband, especially for the bottom picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
Sharvanne
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005 06:42:39 AM »

Just keep in mind, prices for clothing are not based on the amount spent on materials. The designer needs to be compensated for the time they spent developing the concept, designing the pattern and sewing the item.

If you're going to copy the design, that's your decision. But don't say that it's not worth it to pay the asking price.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See me on etsy! www.domesticpuss.co m
Izzy
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2005 12:00:53 PM »

I wouldn't copy the design entirely, I'm just curious about how they're made - so I could modify the design, and possibly produce something of my own.

I understand that the designers need to make a profit somewhere, but I'm not trying to imply that the items are not 'worth' the asking price per-say, just that being a student I can't afford to spend that kind of money on clothes, when I have a perfectly good sewing machine and could make something just as good myself for a fraction of the price. Sorry if my post appeared differently to you, I appreciate your view all the same.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2005 01:56:53 PM »

I too understand the importance of a design, but I also think it is something you could make on your own quite easily (with the proper skill) or with the help of a patter drafting book or with a commercial pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
Sad.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2005 02:58:18 PM »

There is a tute somewhere on this site about making a tutu I think..

But this might help in the meantime: http://gothfashion.info/net.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to draw Alviss from MAR
How to Draw Angelica Pickles
How to Paint Saguaro Mask
How to Draw Donut head Homer - The special Halloween video - 39th Drawing
How to Draw Hugo Simpson - 49th Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...