A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,702
Currently Running With Scissors:
733 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Interchangeable Needle Recommendations  (Read 32170 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fert

if i sit on yet another safety pin...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2004 09:53:57 AM »

i love my set of denise needles.  they're no substitute for addi turbos for the speed but for versatility and the fact that you can change the size of your circular loop easily, they be fantabulous!  i.e i just finished knitty's french market bag.  i switched out of the cursed dpns into the smallest loop(periwinkle cord) for denise and then added on more loop via the connector when i needed more.  i've also used extra cord as stitch holders and began two other projects with the same needles (size Cool since you can just switch needles easily.  eliminates the need to have three sets of each size needle if you want three projects all done on size 8.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2004 07:31:31 PM »

just wanted to say that i bought a set of these last week and i really like them thus far! i am, admittedly, a relatively inexperienced knitter, but i have been impressed with myself because i pulled them out of the case and started using them to do the magic loop method on a sweater sleeve right away with no problems! woo hoo! the cords are nice and flexible for this. and they are nice and smooth, so your stitches slide easily, even over the joins.

FYI, puffy jacket, if you are still looking, i bought my set on ebay. it was only a few bucks cheaper than buying them directly from the manufacturer, but the seller also offered free shipping, so i thought "why not?!" they shipped pretty quickly too. overall, i'm pleased - i say go for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
gloriana
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004 04:12:27 PM »

they rock!  really and truly.  I bought a set about two months ago and have used nothing else since.  they are easy to use, and soooooo convenient.  I just finished a pattern that required several lengths of both 7 and 8 circulars, and it was just so easy to snap off one size and snap on the other.  Plus I also used them as stitch holders at a couple of points - they come with these little round pieces that snap on the ends.   So much nicer than using a piece of yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
skittermagoo
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004 05:59:13 AM »

OK, y'all have convinced me (and I just started reading this thread as a lark!) . . . even though in the past 2 months I've spent quite a wad on all different sizes and flavors of needle, I'm going to buy a set of the Denise needles.  I figure it can't hurt to have some redundancy, right?  That way if I have more than one project on the same size needle . . . (wildly rationalizing, here).

The other thing that convinced me is seeing the set up close and personal at my SnB last week -- one of the other people had a set, so I got to play a little with them.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please check out my new blog site:  www.skittermagoo.com
gloriana
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004 08:46:17 AM »

What I did was to sell my circular needles on eBay after I got the Denise kit.  I sold them in a lot of 5 - and made back what I spent on the Denise kit.  (Of course, I didn't get what back what I originally paid for the needles, but that was okay with me...  I used them for a while after all).  If you've done any buying and selling of knitting supplies on eBay, you'll know there's a good market for needles and yarn... sometimes people will pay almost the full retail price for stuff (which kind of mystifies me, but whatever!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
sgolard

Help me! Can't stop!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2004 09:14:44 AM »

I have found that I need to keep my Addi turbos.  When I use, for example, two or three strands of mohair it doesn't slip around on the Denise needles very well and tends to get hung up.  But for single strands of natural fiber ... can't be beat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A girl's best friend is her mutter"_Dorothy Parker_
My Blog - http://www.yarn-babe.blogspot.com
My Etsy shop - http://knitmoi.etsy.com
deliriousdream

doo doo doodly doo

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2004 09:24:28 PM »

unless you start getting into 4 or 5 pairs of the same needle size, i say keep your needles!  you never know when you'll need to do a 3-needle bind off or knit a small item in the round with 2 circulars cause you don't have the dpns in the right size...

...just an opinion from the queen of pat rack justification!  

....erm, i meant i'm a pack rat ...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004 11:52:32 AM by deliriousdream » THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittykat
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2004 08:39:01 AM »

I don't think it's justification at all.  I frequently have more than one project going on my favorite sizes.  I have one pair of 10.5 circs that are like my lucky needles, and they go everywhere with me and always have a project on them, so if I want to do that size on anything else I would need an extra pair!  So there!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
izatchu

Crafty like ice is cold!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2004 12:24:13 PM »

Love these needles, love 'em!

And I must say I agree that supporting a family-run business is far better than corporate-mania, especially when it's a great product like these! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gerbera

too much craft, not enough time.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2004 09:41:53 PM »

I love my Denise needles.  I bought them over the internet as I am in New Zealand. It is really hard to get decent circulars here.  I have never seen the addi-turbo's everyone talks about.

I have used them exclusively for all knitting since I got them.  The wool moves so easily on them (compared to everything I used before) and I was thrilled to finally be able to knit on a plane.  I even tried the magic loop on the end of a hat last night and it got a bit tricky (as I was mostly guessing how it went) but it worked.  So I don't need 2 of each size after all.

LOVE my Denise needle kit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Davy Rothbart Talks About Requiem for a Paper Bag
Meet Photojournalist Kevin Rivoli
Sandra Brown Talks About Rainwater
Kate Feiffer Talks About Which Puppy
Chasing Brooklyn Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...