A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  It's time to vote!  Which Craftster member rocked dollar store crafting?  Cast your vote here!
Total Members: 305,632
Currently Running With Scissors:
357 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Interchangeable Needle Recommendations  (Read 39920 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thekatiest

I like to verb words. It weirds the language.

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 26, 2008 05:07:46 AM »

Slightly off-topic, but of interest to people reading this thread: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=222349.0

I bought a Boye set the other day, and so far I like it.  All except for the zippered case, that is an absolutely hideous pukey-brown vinyl. I planned to cover it in stickers, but if I ever get around to it, making a lovely case like this would be infinitely prettier.

Knit a cozy for it! ... And then post a tute!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Skellerz
« Reply #351 on: January 26, 2008 07:20:02 PM »

Just to ask, and your answer is probably yes, but did you use the little metal thingys to tighten your needles?  I find if I don't use that, it will want to unscrew.  I'm guessing you did because you don't seem to be having any problems otherwise, just thought I would put it out there.

Actually, I tried it without the key once.
I was Magic Looping, so I figured if it was a problem, I'd only have to wait 15 sts to find out.
They started to unscrew about a half hour later, so I just pulled the key thing out of one of my cable sets.
Haven't had a problem since.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KittyCreates

So much crafting, so little time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: January 29, 2008 05:34:22 AM »

I've had my Denises for half a year, and they work great if you're knitting back and forth.  However, I'm knitting a sweater in the round (EZ's Fishtrap Aran) and the needles have unhooked from the cable over ten times now!  It's driving me crazy!  I'm ordering some Options and Harmony tips and cables so that I can try both out and see which I like better.  I've heard that a lot of Harmony users have problems with the wood tip coming apart.  Can anyone tell me more about this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I would go out tonight, but I haven't got a stitch to wear"

http://kittyscreations.wordpress.com/

http://www.ravelry.com/people/KittyCreates
atroxsilentium
Stefunny

A walk-in closet full of yarn isn't TOO much...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: January 29, 2008 10:57:43 AM »

Knitpicks:

Are the cables the same for the metal and the harmony interchangables?  Would you be able to buy a full set of one and order just the needles from the other?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 29, 2008 12:15:54 PM »

Knitpicks:

Are the cables the same for the metal and the harmony interchangables?  Would you be able to buy a full set of one and order just the needles from the other?
Sure, I don't see why not. As far as I can see, the cables are the same for both sets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hurdles2006
« Reply #355 on: February 04, 2008 02:12:33 PM »

I just got my knitpicks today.  Its the first time I have ever been able to start knitting on circ without having to straighten out the cable.

I am madly in love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kate
Skellerz
« Reply #356 on: February 04, 2008 04:08:09 PM »

Knitpicks:

The cables are the same.
They're made so that you can mix and match for what you use.  I, personally, like to use wood for sizes 0-6 because those are generally the sizes I use slippier yarn with, so I snagged my friends set of size 6 tips (she never uses them, and I gave her my nickel ones, even though she yelled at me for it, lol) and they work fine in the cables that came with my nickel set.

I've had my Denises for half a year, and they work great if you're knitting back and forth.  However, I'm knitting a sweater in the round (EZ's Fishtrap Aran) and the needles have unhooked from the cable over ten times now!  It's driving me crazy!  I'm ordering some Options and Harmony tips and cables so that I can try both out and see which I like better.  I've heard that a lot of Harmony users have problems with the wood tip coming apart.  Can anyone tell me more about this?

I've heard of people supergluing them back into place, but I'm assuming that if you called the customer service line, they'd just send you a new set, it's what they did when one of my cable joins came loose.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008 04:09:53 PM by Skellerz » THIS ROCKS   Logged
*k*
« Reply #357 on: February 05, 2008 10:43:45 AM »

If you're going to buy interchangeable needles, wait for a 50% off coupon for Joann's and then buy them.

That's how I got my first set!  Super cheap.  I couldn't imagine paying the full $70 or however much the full price is on those Boye sets.

I really liked my Boye needles until I discovered that some of my needles are rough at the end where the cord screws in.  At least a couple sizes in my set are like this, so I'm not sure that it's just a fluke.  I thought about contacting the company, but ended up adjusting it with pliers and a nail file to avoid waiting on new pairs that may or may not be better.  Not a pretty solution, but at least the yarn doesn't get caught and snag anymore. 

Recently I bought a Denise set and now I'm really in love.  The needles are smooth and light (but not flimsy), and the join into the cable is much smoother than the Boyes--no stupid bump to push the yarn over.  AND you can get extra needles in size 17 and 19! 

I'm not getting rid of my Boyes, but I think the Denise will get more use from now on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hot_hermione

OOO! What a hottie, yes i know im a HP dork:D

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 05, 2008 12:27:18 PM »

i bough those darn denise interchangeables and all i got was trouble from the kit itself and from the company that made them, loosing precious inches of work, cords breaking more times than i can count, needles breaking and you are better off just getting the circular needles separately.  just to warn you those people who make those pieces of s*** are the rudest people on this face of the planet.  I politely ask for new cords and all they gave me was bad attitute and harassment, they even once told me to f*** off and get a f***en life when i wanted my money back they also gave me a bunch of garbage and excuses so they didnt have to give me my money back.  that money was never seen again, luckly i was able to sell the whole kit including the s***y extra cords and extra large needle tips to someone who wanted for $40.

just so you know, if you are a tight knitter these interchangeable needles kits are highly NOT recommended then youll be breaking more cords than actually working.

my personal experience
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008 12:31:43 PM by hot_hermione » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #359 on: February 05, 2008 04:51:19 PM »

hot_hermione, sorry you had such a bad experience with Denise. I bought some extra cords and stuff from them and had trouble with the things always coming off - and without any problems or questions whatsoever, they replaced the whole set, sending them here to Thailand and wouldn't even let me send the defective set back! They were extremely polite and helpful via email.

What I have concluded since then is that my old Denise tips just don't do well with the new cords (I had the original set from 30 years ago).

Riki
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Meet Author of Cowboy and Wills
Behind the Books with Marlene Wallach
Meet Author Ru Freeman
Ian Irvine Talks About The Last Albatross
Doug Stanton Talks About Horse Soldiers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads
Meatless Monday: Gluten Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...