A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,599
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 37
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Interchangeable Needle Recommendations  (Read 30607 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: July 18, 2007 03:10:03 AM »

I've not used the boye, but I keep looking at them because they have those really small needles.

I do love my options, though. The thing that kept me from getting the boye ones is I had a set of circs with paint on them (boye IIRC) and when the paint chips, they feel rough, and the yarn doesn't slide as well. The needlemasters don't have that problem, and I've made 3 or 4 sweaters on them.

I had an issue where the end of the cable broke in my endcaps (likely due to the help of my kids Roll Eyes ) and knitpicks sent me a replacement - cables (2) and a set of caps and another key, all free! The customer service reply (I emailed them) was prompt, and the shipping was no longer than the original. Even if they weren't some of the nicest needles I've ever had, the customer service is enough to make me sing their praises!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
lookagnome
« Reply #291 on: July 18, 2007 09:10:45 AM »

i have the boye's (i guess i'm in a minority-- who knew?)

i got them for a discount as well. i agree with Riki that they do unscrew at awful times but i've learned to adjust and naturally twist them back every few minutes before they detach (i even do it with straight needles now)... its sort of a pain and maybe not the sort of thing you want to adjust to but i don't really mind.

on the plus side, the needles are really high quality. nice and sharp-- something i've had trouble with when using other needles. the cords don't have a lot of memory and can be hooked together to make extra-long cords. i don't know if i'd rebuy my set and i've never used any other set but since i already have them, i do like them and use them nonstop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

endeavor
« Reply #292 on: July 18, 2007 09:25:25 AM »

I have the Knitpicks and the Denise sets. The KP's cords are thinner but mine can unscrew. The Denise cords are thicker and the yarn can get tight on the needles but they seldom unhook.

I use both, each have their faults but are fairly minor to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Knitty

With all these hobbies, who has time to work?

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 18, 2007 11:40:07 AM »

I've had the Boye's for years and use them only when I don't have the size I need in another brand. I am not familiar with Denise. I will have to google them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #294 on: July 18, 2007 11:50:31 AM »

i'm not familiar with the Boye set, but i have Denise and the Boyes were were prototype for Denise.

i love my Denise set. the needles are resin and a bit sticky which is great for slippery yarn and the joins are easy to use and won't come apart (http://www.knitdenise.com)

i also have Knit Picks Options and i'm in love with them as well. b/c they're metal, i wind up using them with cotton yarns. the unscrewing thing can be fixed by using the tightening key when you put the needles or end caps on. after that, they won't come undone unless you use the key. oh and a safety pin works in a pinch. BTW: the KP Options are nickel plated brass, so if you have a severe nickel/copper allergy, don't get these needles. i have a sensitivity to nickle and copper and i don't have any issue well a slight tingling when i CO, but once the stitches are on the needles, i'm not bothered)

i also own one set of Addi Turbos and i liken the KP Options to the Addis. the joins are smooth, the cords are flexible and have no kinks, they're great.

oh and Knit Pick's customer service can't be beat. i had an issue with one of my cords (it kept popping out of the screw join with minimal pulling), so i called KP and they're replacing it for free with not one, but two new cords!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
Yarnlova
« Reply #295 on: July 18, 2007 07:36:27 PM »

I have the Boye set and a few pairs of the Knit Picks options.  I have mixed feelings on both.

I think I have only had the Boye unscrew once or twice, and that was only when I was too lazy to use the key thingie to tighten it properly.  That being said, my Knit Picks needles unscrew almost everytime I use them, even if I use the key thing to tighten them properly.

The Boye cords don't flex anywhere near as well as the Knit Picks cords do.  I love the Knit Picks cords because you can use them for magic loop. 

I find the Knit Picks needles are very smooth, pointy and slippery (which I like) and the Boye needles are smooth, pointy, but not near as slippery as Knit Picks.

Overall, I like the Knit Picks Options needles most, but haven't bought the kit since there aren't many small sizes  Sad and I don't use large sizes very often.  I've just bought the sizes I use most and a few different length cords and I'm satisfied.   Tongue

Oh, I also have a pair of Addi Turbos too, and I love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nik6
« Reply #296 on: July 19, 2007 12:43:09 PM »

I have both the Boye and the Knitpicks.  There is no comparasion. The Knitpicks are a hundred million times better. 

Once I picked up the Knitpicks I never looked back. They are smooth, the cables are great (MUCH better than the Boyes) they don't come unloose for me either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lullabye_B
« Reply #297 on: July 21, 2007 11:27:06 PM »

The Denise set is the way to go- the one turn click lock can't be beat. I bought my mum the Boye set a while back and she had all kinds of trouble with it (needles unscrewing and even worse- tightening them too tight only to strip the threads, making them unusable).

I bought us each a Denise set and never need to buy needles again. They are "pricey"- but the set has just about every needle we'll ever need.

Just my opinion  Smiley

PS: I am in the process of making a cozy to fit over the set- just a little one skein project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Knit your heart with an unslipping knot" ~Shakespeare
butterlite
« Reply #298 on: July 23, 2007 12:07:22 AM »

I have the needle master set also. I of course am not wealthy and like you got it with a 40%off coupon at Michael's. I obsessed over my purchase for months wondering if i had made the correct choice. I did =) 

I also read a review from Gumperina's blog site and she said the the Options needles weigh more.which to me = no good in the long run (with all the posts i run into about wrist problems from knitting)

I also read on go knit stuffs blog that she inherited a set of needle masters from her grandmother. they have been around for a long time. and replacement parts are available all over the place no wait time required.

Over at knittinghelp.com there is a HUGE long thread about everything you could ever want to know about interchangeable sets.

Whatever your finaly decision is...enjoy knitting with your new needles.

In the long run.. My best advice is to use them and see if you like them and to remember that collecting knitting "stuff" (yarn included)
seems to be a problem for people.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AnnecyEmily

An American living in the French Alps.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: September 22, 2007 02:41:51 AM »

This thread has been SO helpful. I too did not read one negative about the KP Options, but I love the amount of choices you have with the Denise. I think I might just buy the Denise and hope for the best and then start saving up for my next purchase: the KP Options.

PLUS the Denise now come in pink!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 37 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Baby Bumble Bee Sweater Part 3/9
How to Crochet a 6 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 1/4
How to Crochet a 6 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 3/4
How to Crochet a 5 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 3/3
How to Crochet a 5 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 2/3
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...