A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,907
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 37
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Interchangeable Needle Recommendations  (Read 32396 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TamKing

So many patterns - so little time!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: August 15, 2006 11:42:18 AM »

I have a set of the Denise interchangeables and I LOVE them!  If I need a circular, that's ALL I will use!  IMHO they are worth the money.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tammy
Got my needles, hooks, and yarn, Green Day on the iPod....ah, life is good! =)
cnp71201
« Reply #191 on: August 15, 2006 11:49:46 AM »

I have the Boye and love them so far... I have not had them long, though. It is really nice not having to worry about needing new needles for a project, and it is also nice that they have extra cables and needles for the sets available at Hobby Lobby. I think you can get the Boye for about $30 with a half off coupon from Hobby Lobby or Joann's... I think even Michael's does that regularly.

I really want to get the Knitpicks Options set... I have heard such great things about them, and love the idea of super-pointy tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
diy_girl
« Reply #192 on: August 15, 2006 12:10:07 PM »

hi.  I just recently got a set of Boye off eBay for about $25.  I was researching the different sets of interchangeables too but didn't want to shell out lots of $$ if I didn't like them.  Here are my thoughts:

1.  it is great having all the sizes and lengths at your fingertips.  the versatility is awesome.  you can even use the cords with a stopper on the end to use as longer knitting needles or they are great as stitch holders instead of scrap yarn.

2.  what I don't like about Boye:  they are incredibly heavy!!  especially the larger sizes like 15.  I don't like the finishing on some of the needles (they are aluminum).  I think the Denise are much lighter in weight but I have not tried them.  I think when I really feel like investing in some good interchangeables, I will go with what I really like: bamboo or the nicer KnitPics.  hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skwirel

the best thing is to love and be loved in return

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: August 15, 2006 12:23:55 PM »

just do a search for magic loop on yahoo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yes i'm serious. but don't call me shirley.

http://pearlknitpurl.blogspot.com/
ravelry user name: skwirel
moazogotl
« Reply #194 on: August 15, 2006 12:29:10 PM »

I got the knitpicks ones a few weeks ago and love them!  They're so sharp and smooth.  They're a little heavy but to my fingers it feels like a good, balanced heavy, so I don't really notice it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

candikaneiscrafty
« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2006 12:36:48 PM »

I have a denise set and i love them they work for most of the projects i do. i dont usually need smaller needles but when i do i don't mind having to buy them because i am still saving money i have never had a problem with the cable coming lose either.
i haven't tried any of the knit picks needles but from here it seems like they are heavy and i don't like heavy needles.
But no matter which set you choose it is a great investment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
niftyknitter

when I'm dreaming...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2006 12:54:22 PM »

I have a pair of the Knit Picks Classic Circs and I love, love love them... I am knitting a lacy baby blanket in small gauge and they have been a dream to knit with, the tips are very pointy which is great for lace stitches and the cables are very flexible... I havent really noticed them being very heavy, though that may be more the options line... overall since I prefer metal like them better than my Denise set.  I would say that if you prefer to knit with metal needles then go with the KnitPicks (over the Boye, I think they are made better) if you don't the Denise are a nice alternate and are very lightweight
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This summer I am biking across America to raise money for Habitat for Humanity!! Check out my site to see how you can help the affordable housing cause!
http://seewetzbike.wordpress.com
rachillsk8
« Reply #197 on: August 15, 2006 01:16:47 PM »

I've had the Boyle set for about five months now and I really like it.  I haven't bought a set of circulars since.  I got my set for $30 or $35 at Michael's with a half off coupon from JoAnn.  You do need to make sure that you screw the needle on very tightly (it comes with a key and rubber gripper to help you do so), and you'll occasionally have to re-tighten them as you go.  But I've whitnessed people using the Denise set and having the needle come off the cable mid-row and stitches being dropped (gasp!), that can't really happen with the Boyle set since they screw on.  I've magic looped with them and didn't have problems with the cable being too stiff (just use the longest cable in the set).

You can also buy additional needles/cables for the Boyle set for around $3-4 each.  I've seen them at Hobby Lobby. 

I haven't seen the KnitPicks interchangable set, but someone I know ordered some circulars for socks and brought them one night for us to see. They seemed comprable to Addis.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vorare
« Reply #198 on: August 15, 2006 01:33:06 PM »

Also, maybe in a craft/knitting store you could try out the different kinds (well, not the KnitPicks ones, but maybe at least one of the others) to see what you do and don't like are, since a lot of this is just a matter of preference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When do you learn that the world, like any diner worth its salt, is open twenty-four hours a day?"
-Adverbs by Daniel Handler

Ravelry | Wists
nongshim
« Reply #199 on: August 15, 2006 02:27:54 PM »

Looks like we have a case of different strokes for different folks!

I think that if you like Addi Turbo needles, you're probably more likely to like the KnitPicks interchangeable needle set because they're very similar. I have the Denise set and the KP set (very handy, having both!). I MUCH prefer my KP needles. Denise's snagging join, that inflexible straw of a cord and the serious drag issues I had with serveral types of yarn were all things I had to put up with until I made the switch to KP.

OTOH, the plastic tips of the Denise needles were not as "slippery" and thus they have their place with knitting. And it's nice that you have the option of combining various cord lengths into one super sized cord length (useful for blankets).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 37 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3DS Max 9 - Importing Poser Models to 3DS Max P.1
3DS Max 9 - Importing Poser Models to 3DS Max P.2
3DS Max 9 - Importing Poser Models to 3DS Max P.3
3DS Max 9 - Importing Poser Models to 3DS Max P.4
Creating a Space Explosion in After Effects P.4
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...