A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Interchangeable Needle Recommendations  (Read 30915 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Just_A_Girl
[Insert witty title here]

Straight to this very day it was the wrong way

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #360 on: February 11, 2008 03:47:11 PM »

Not sure if this had been mentioned as of yet in this thread (I got to page 10 and then gave up)  but the overall consensus is that everyone likes their interchangeables', great, as Im interested in them myself. Just one question, everyone here mostly seemed to mention the Denise interchangeables', but any word on the ones made by Boye?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I blame it on the bunny....

[Future home of a someday blog URL]
Riki
« Reply #361 on: February 11, 2008 04:06:19 PM »

Not sure if this had been mentioned as of yet in this thread (I got to page 10 and then gave up)  but the overall consensus is that everyone likes their interchangeables', great, as Im interested in them myself. Just one question, everyone here mostly seemed to mention the Denise interchangeables', but any word on the ones made by Boye?
I have both the Denise and the Boye - got the Boye first because they came out first. Had lots and lots of trouble with them even though I faithfully used the little thing to help screw them in tightly, they always came unscrewed at the worst possible time. The Denise in the original set I got were great - never came unhooked. I did, however, order some new cords for my Denise - and my original tips kept coming unhooked from them, but the new tips don't, go figure ...

Anyway, long story short. I hate the Boyes, use them only in a dire emergency and would be happy to get rid of them. Want them? Pay just shipping?! That being said, a lot of people do like them.

My advice: Try to test run some before buying. If you like slippery metal, the Boyes are for you. If you like something with a little more grip, Denise would be better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Skellerz
« Reply #362 on: February 11, 2008 04:38:58 PM »

I'm solidly against the Boye set, but that's mostly because I got my KP set for magic looping, and the Boye circs I have are not NEARLY flexible enough for my purposes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeltwaySpinner

Living the Dream

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #363 on: February 12, 2008 10:09:10 AM »

I've used my Boye set for socks, two hats, an intarsia sweater, a lace sweater, and a chunky raglan sweater.  So far I LOVE IT.  I have had them for a month now - and I knit with them everyday.  In fact, I stopped using all of my straights and bamboos.  Nothing has ever come unscrewed.  I have been overly paranoid that it would - so I just tighten them very well before I cast on - and then it stays put until I change it out.

A girl from my SnB group has the Denise set.  She said the plastic kept snagging her laceweight yarn - so she ended up getting a metal Options set.   Another girl in my SnB has the Harmony wood set - and it is TRULY gorgeous. But as a tight knitter, I am pretty hard on my wood needles.  Usually by the end of a project, I had completely destroyed the tips and they were splintering and snagging my yarn.  Wood is just not for me.

I went with the Boye set because it goes from size 2-15 and the Denise starts at 5.  The tips are very pointy, but not so much it will pierce your flesh.  The metal is much smoother with all the yarns I use, so I am really happy I bought this set.  Also each size is a different color, so you won't accidentally use one 10 and one 10.5 together.  (I have heard of several people doing this with all of the other monochromatic sets.)

I know people had problems with the older Boye sets.  But maybe the newer ones are just fine.  Anyway - if you get a 40% or 50% off coupon from Joann's or Michael's - the Boyes are a bargain in my opinion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
*k*
« Reply #364 on: February 20, 2008 01:11:56 PM »

I have both Boye and Denise needles, and I think the Denise are a better investment (unless you will be using a lot of smaller needles--Denise starts at size 5).  I wrote about them on page 36.

I prefer the metal and pointier tips on the Boye, but some of the needles in my set were rough at the end where the cord screws in (not sure how many pairs are like this, but it's at least a few different sizes).  I didn't notice this for a few projects, but when I switched to a more delicate yarn, it snagged each stitch  Tongue.  I mangled them to keep them from doing this, but it's not pretty and still not completely smooth.  Also, the skinny cord ends in a larger bump at the join which can catch stitches when knitting at smaller gauge.

The Knit Picks Options look nice, but it didn't look like they went up to size 19 so I got the Denise instead.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Artist Uses Mouth to Paint
Art of VIBE: How & Nosm Go From Tagging Trains to 4-Story Buildings
Glen Berger Tells The Back Story of Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark
Light and Movement Digitally Added to Van Gogh Paintings
This Artist Uses Bananas as His Palettes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...