A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 304,765
Currently Running With Scissors:
746 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Interchangeable Needle Recommendations  (Read 31767 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

puffy_jacket
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2004 05:05:44 AM »

Something I forgot to mention in my above rave about the Denise kit is that the Denise cords are terrific. I knit almost exclusively on circulars, even for flat projects, but I have found that regular circs tend to have incredibly annoying cords that get kinked up and stuff. I've heard that you can straighten them out by dipping them in boiling water, but naturally I always forget about this until after I've cast on...  Undecided

The Denise cords don't have this problem. They're a perfect balance between flexible and solid, and they don't kink, or twist, or curl, or any of the other annoying things that my other circular needles' cords do.

Just something else to consider. Smiley

Now I'm inspired to start saving towards another set of Denises, so I can practice this amazing magic loop method! I've tried DPNs, but I'm spatially challenged, and they just make me cry.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darumah
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2004 04:09:58 AM »

Thank you so much for posting this thread. I am buying a set of Denise needles today. BTW- there is no need to buy 2 sets to do the magic loop method, I have been dong it on one set of circulars that have a really long cord. The instructions are on the website listed below, I figured it out in just a few minutes. *robyn

http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/mloop.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

palegirl
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2004 09:09:25 AM »

Hi, I just want to give a heads up to anyone considering this kit, the needles are not actually the standard sizes, they are:
#5: 3.75 mm (correct)
#6: 4.2 mm (should be 4 mm)
#7: 4.5 mm (correct)
#8: 4.85 mm (should be 5 mm)
#9: 5.2 mm (should be 5.5 mm)
#10: 5.6 mm (should be 6 mm)
#10 1/2: 6.3 mm (should be 6.5 mm)
#11: 7.7 mm (should be 8 mm)
#13: 8.95 mm (should be 9 mm)
#15: 9.95 mm (should be 10 mm)

this isn't a terrible issue, all it means is that you should be aware when you use these with other needles, as in the 2 circular method in the round or switching btw circular & flat knitting in a pattern as the guage may change.  It can also be useful to have these in-between sizes if you're having difficulty getting guage w/ standard #7 & #8 needles, it can be useful to have the denise "#8" as an inbetween...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flip-flops615
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2004 02:52:13 PM »

I'm glad it's not much of a big diffrence Wink. It's basically .2 mm off.  I can'twait until mine get here. I ordered them on Sunday.  I I hope they are here in a few days! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
machinegirl
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2004 10:07:34 PM »

My FMIL's beating down my door for my Christmas list, so she can have everything ordered by Thanksgiving. I want a set of interchangable circs, but not sure which brand to go with. I have recently discovered circ love, and interchangables will make me very happy. Not knowing much about these sets, I turn to you, fellow Craftster-ites!

What do you like the best and the least about your interchangables?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kadreath

best sweater.....ever

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2004 06:07:04 AM »

i have the boye needlemaster set (my fella got it for me Grin ) and i pretty much just love it.  the one complaint that i did have was the cords between the needles were really stiff, but i just dipped them into some boiling water for a few seconds and volia!  i love having what ever needle size i need, right there on hand.  also, as someone prone to starting new projects before i have finished old ones, i adore being able to take the needles off the cord and not screwing up a project. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dani24

I am so smart! S-M-R-T....oops! I mean S-M-A-R-T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2004 01:06:25 PM »

I have the Denise Interchangeable set.  They're cheaper than the Boye set (about $45), and I absolutely love them!  At the time I got them, I got a set that had "sticky" cords (it was a problem with the manufacturer they had used for that batch).  I contacted the Denise company, and they got back to me within a couple of hours, and sent me a whole new set of cords.  I didn't even have to send them the old ones, or pay shipping, or anything.

I have never had a problem with the joins snagging the yarn, on my Denise needles.  The needle portion and the cord fit together very easily, and very well.  They are plastic, and find that most fibers work great on them (the Boye needles are aluminum, and some yarns, particularly eyelash/novelty yarns or other most slippery yarns, have a tendency to slide off of aluminum needles). 

I'm sure you'll be happy, no matter which set you get. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gertie_T
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2004 01:12:51 PM »

I have the Denise set also, which I loved for a long time...until I discovered Addi Turbo circs and was ruined!

For some reason, I've recently found that the Denise needles seem to put a lot of strain on my wrists. But they are very convenient to have around while I am going broke building up my collection of Addis...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darumah
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2004 07:07:14 AM »

I bought a Denise set when i first started knitting because I couldn't afford all of the needles needed in the patterns I was using. I absolutely love them (although I do have addis in sizes I use frequently); they have really nice cords and they knit very smoothy (typically I hate plastic needles). Another advantage is that the Denise comapany is a small business and their needles are American made. My biggest complaint about the set is the case, it is really ugly. Good luck. *robyn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suziewrong
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2005 11:33:57 PM »

I've noticed when reading through here that many people use the Denise needle set. I have been thinking of buying them and was wondering what everybody thinks of them?

I tend to like projects on large (size 10 and up) needles. My only reservation is that I understand the Denise needles are plastic and I usually like to knit with wood or metal, depending on the yarn.

Thanks all! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 37 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Bright Eyes
Make a Customized Lipstick Palette with Pill Cases
How To Get a Natural Flush
How to Make Your Own Makeup Brush Travel Set
How To Highlight & Contour Your Neck To Appear Younger
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...