A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chemocaps...  (Read 681 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tajhia
« on: February 13, 2008 05:41:17 PM »

One of my friends has just been diagnosed with ovarian cancer.  She is going to be having Chemo in a few weeks time, and I was thinking of making her some Chemo caps.

I have discussed it with other friends (cos we are going to get a sort of "hospital care pack" ready for her, and they are all keen for me to knit Knitty's Hallowig for her in some funky colour...

Any suggestions for yarn (would need to be able to be bought locally in Calgary or obtained fairly quickly via online order) - am thinking of a bright coloured soft baby yarn in acrylic...  I do want it to be very soft because of scalp sensitivity issues....

Also, any other tips or suggestions for the "care pack" would be appreciated
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008 06:08:51 PM »

a hospital care package is a great idea!  I spent many months in the hospital being treated for leukemia (I had my stem cell transplant at the Tom Baker in Calgary) here's a few things you might want to include
-gummy bears (for some reason they settle your chemo tummy)
-small bottles or cans of tonic water, it helps keep the mouth sores away when you gargle with it
-everyone is different with tolerating food/drink, some I could handle were gatorade, gingerale, ichiban noodles, saltine crackers
-a nice journal and pen
-fingerless mitts
-socks!!  slippers are nice too (I had some hilarious pointy toed elf slippers)
-funny dvd's (laughing really does help make you feel better)
-I liked funky scarves to wear
-poly fleece hats are nice, soft and warm
-scentless lotion
-pj's (I always wore my own pj's, it makes you feel less of a patient)
-mixed CD's
-anything she likes to do (reading, crafts etc) I can't tell you how boring it is in the hospital.  really really boring although I found magazines better than books because I had a hard time concentrating
-theres a pattern here for a pic line cover (most chemo patients have a pic line put in their arm for ease of medication) usually the hospital gives you some ugly stretchy stuff to put over it and hold all the ends in.  Something soft, washable and perhaps not really tight would be good http://knitpicks.com/Picc+Arm+Band_PD50510220.html
-most people in chemo can't have live flowers, I had some swell plush bendy flowers that I wrapped around my IV pole
-a pretty pillowcase is nice too

the very best thing I can think of is the support of friends and family.  I wish your friend well with her treatment Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap 2014 Winter Market SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
-Cougar1
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008 08:13:48 AM »

I made my friend's chemo hats from Caron Simply Soft...they love the softness of them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
foreversandals
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008 08:30:47 AM »

Bernat Satin is very soft and they just came out with some really nice, bright colors.
There are great reds, greens, purples, pinks, etc. Seriously. I can't stop buying the stuff.
I can find it at both WalMart and Michael's. And I'm over in Ontario, so I assume they sell the same stuff in those stores across Canada.

This is an amazing thing you're doing. Cancer is such a hard thing to deal with and chemo is even tougher [I've seen my brother go through it as a child]. She'll be happy to have people that are supporting her through this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs:
- Crochet: Baby Blanket
- Scrapbooking: Ongoing scrapbook
- Body: Creating a baby!!

http://www.wists.com/foreversandals
http://beautythroughthelens.wordpress.com [my photoblog]
kannd86
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008 11:51:57 AM »

My sister is going through chemo right now.  I made her a cloche style hat with Red Heart Plush yarn, but she hasn't tried it on yet.  I'll let you know how she likes it.  In my opinion though, the yarn is very soft and terry-like.  I would work with it again. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethIsABear
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008 08:18:21 PM »

I'd go for bamboo yarn. It knits up a lot like cotton but it is so soft and beautiful. I personally don't care for acrylic, so it's a good alternative to wool, which is pretty itchy on a bald head.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gema71
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008 11:58:00 AM »

After getting rave reviews on comfort and ease of care, I have started to only knit chemo chaps with Cascade Fixation.  It's cotton with an elastic stretch, breathable, very soft and machine washable/dryable.  I hope this info helps.  Good luck to you and your friend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stuffed Flank Steak
Holiday Rolls
How to Make Herb Gravy
Butterflied Turkey Recipe
Delicious Steak Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...