A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 301,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Interchangeable Needle Recommendations  (Read 34697 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

puffy_jacket
« on: March 24, 2004 11:47:56 AM »

I'm interested in the Denise interchangeable knitting needle kit, but it's a chunk of change (although really, at $45, it's only as much as a few pairs of regular needles) so I'd love to hear some opinions on those who already have it before taking the plunge! Love it? Hate it? Let me know if you can, I'd appreciate it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinknut

Legolas Lives!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004 12:36:29 PM »

I believe there are some opinions on this thread  http://www.craftster.org/yabbse/index.php?board=23;action=display;threadid=3513
I know I've seen some more opinions on other threads so go spulunking and see what you can find.  All the ones I've read say that they're worth the rather steep cost.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004 12:37:33 PM »

I don't own one of these kits, but there's been a lot of discussion about them recently on the Knitlist.  

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knitlist/
The archives can be a bit of a drag to search - you have to keep hitting "next", searching one block of messages at a time.  I found lots of hits in the 53686 to 54114 range.

There's also a review of them on the Knitters Review site.
http://www.knittersreview.com/article_tool.asp?article=/review/product/030424_a.asp

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maripaz
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004 01:17:59 PM »

I bought a denise kit about a month ago and so far I really like them.  Before I ordered them I was a bit skeptical about the plastic needles because up until then I had used only bamboo needles.  I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.  The plastic needles are fine as long as your yarn isn't super slippery.  I've never had a problem with the needles disconnecting from the cords and the ends you can snap on to make needle holders are really useful as well.  When you think about how much money you'd spend buying individual needles it's definitely worth the price.  I think some people have found sets for sale on eBay so you might be able to save a bit more money if you look there as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puffy_jacket
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004 02:26:14 PM »

Thanks so much! I'll go trawling through the links posted for more- I appreciate it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sgolard

Help me! Can't stop!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004 09:19:42 AM »

I bought the Denise needles as well because I could see that there was going to be a considerable outlay in needles if I didn't.  I have had good luck with them on certain types of yarn - i.e., wool and other natural fibers.  BUT, I started a mans sweater using two strands of DK chenille and the piece just wasn't moving around the needles!  Every few stitches I would have to stop and push the knitting around, which pretty much defeats the purpose of knitting in the round, IMHO.  So I had to buy a pair of Addi Turbos for this project.  I do love the ease with which you can move from one size needle to the other for ribbing and that you can use these needles for straight and round.  The shafts are great for holding stitches.  All in all I think it's a good buy when you consider it's about the cost of 3 pair of Addis.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A girl's best friend is her mutter"_Dorothy Parker_
My Blog - http://www.yarn-babe.blogspot.com
My Etsy shop - http://knitmoi.etsy.com
punkn
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2004 03:19:05 PM »

love mine. just wish they came in pretty colors. {{shallow}} i hate periwinkle.

denise: i would like lime, pink and orange. thank you.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
deliriousdream

doo doo doodly doo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2004 06:26:03 PM »

i love my denise needles! i bought them when i was broke, and it was totally the right decision. the only other needles i've bought or used in the months i've had them were some size 3 dpns to tackle socks.

another cool thing is that the denise company is owned and operated by a family, so you're supporting a cool, independent business when you buy!  i really have no idea about the companies that make other needles, but i imagine they're rather huge and corporate.

if we're making wishes, i second fun colors and add one for some sort of interchangeable dpn kit ... maybe one to complement the range of sizes in the existing kit, and one in sizes 0-4 for sock knitters.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
io
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2004 06:32:18 PM »

i would think about buying it if it had dpns - i use them quite a lot. truth be told, i hate circular needles and use them only when i have to. i have basically every size (ordinary) knitting needle going, but circular needles and dpns are so hard to find around here, and it looks so nicely portable.

however i must confess that i was put off slightly by the colour of the kit. [also shallow]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geekgirl
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2004 01:10:00 PM »

I LOVE my denise needles- I have abandoned all others. I also use them to knit "magic loop" for everything so it is also MUCH cheaper than buying all kinds of circs and dpns.

They are also great b/c you can take them on a plane. no problem.

I am getting another set soon, so I can have more than 1 WIP and so that I can use the cables to expand more.

They have a great reputation for service- someone on knitters review broke a cable, and they replaced it quickly. I've been yanking at the and generally treating them not-so-gently and I haven't had anything break yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Croquembouche
How To Chop Chocolate
How To Glaze A Cake
How to Make a Mind-Blowing Tiramisu the Del Posto Way
Del Posto Pastry Chef Brooks Headley on Italian Desserts
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...