A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,688
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Avatar: The Last Airbender Charm Bracelet  (Read 1874 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 23, 2012 11:17:12 AM »

I made this bracelet for the most recent Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra Swap for my lovely partner,  IsikkahJai. She requested a charm bracelet, and though I'd never made one before, I knew I had enough beads and charms in my stash for an attempt. I drew inspiration from (who else?) the amazing jennieingram, who I also believe gave me every single charm I used in this bracelet, AND gave me awesome photography tips to help show off my creation. While these pics are still not the best, they are definitely better than round 1 with my camera and crappy lighting! The background isn't ideal, but I think it matches the "elemental" feel of the bracelet!

For those of you not familiar with Avatar: The Last Airbender, it is an amazing cartoon on Nickelodeon where characters can "bend" or manipulate the four elements (not including metal or spirit of course!) through movements of their body that mimic different styles of Chinese martial arts.

To embody the show in a bracelet, I knew that the four elements had to be central. I also used charms to represent not only the elements, but also certain characters, episodes, or items that carry meaning throughout the show.

Here's a closer look at "Earth":

Including lots of green and gold which are the colors of the Earth Kingdom, bare feet for the Earth Bender Toph, who is blind, but "sees" with her feet and her bending, a metal leaf (under Toph's feet) for Toph's metal bending ability, and a stone bead to literally represent earth and earth bending.

Here's "Air":

The Air Nomads are very peaceful and monk-like and their element (air) is very swirly and free. Their clothes are yellow and orange, but I felt that white represented them better for my purposes. There are lots of spirals and circles to represent the movement of air and Aang's air scooter that he invented. There's also a peace sign to represent Aang's commitment to peace. There is a flat circle bead with a garnet to represent Appa, Aang's sky bison.

Notice the heart between Air and Water to represent Aang and Katara's romance  Cheesy

Here's a close up of "Water":

Waterbenders are empowered by the moon, and both the Northern and Southern Water Tribes are deeply connected to the moon, so of course, there is a moon charm right in the center. There's also lots of blue to represent water and the colors of the tribes. There's a fish to represent Sokka, who is fishing when first introduced, as well as continually preoccupied with meat in any form throughout the show. Also there is a speckled blue stone to represent the meteor that Sokka uses to forge his space sword out of in Book 3. The blue charm with the wire wrapped around it represents the bottle of spirit water Katara carries with her and uses to heal Aang at the end of Book 2.

"Fire":

Fire was the most difficult for me, maybe because I did this section of the bracelet last. Obviously, there's lots of red for the Fire Nation and fire in general. The Chinese writing represents the scrolls that Zuko finds explaining who his grandfather was and helps him learn who he is and who he wants to become. The bead with the gold stripes is supposed to represent Zuko's scar. The key represents Zuko's trips to visit both Uncle Iroh and later his father in the Fire Nation prison.

And that's it! If you made it this far through the post thanks for your attention to detail!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012 12:57:06 PM »

Your bracelet came out beautifully!  And your pictures are great.  Nice and clear, with good color balance. Way to go Abbeeroad! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012 01:23:41 PM »

Thanks Jennie!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patty_o_furniture

May the force be ever in your favor, Mr. Potter.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012 07:02:19 PM »

Love it!  The beads for the elements are fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012 06:13:14 AM »

Thanks! Smiley I had fun picking out each bead/charm.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012 06:13:57 AM by Abbeeroad » THIS ROCKS   Logged
IsikkahJai

BAKA LOVE FOREVER! ^.^

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012 06:42:02 AM »

I LOVE it! It's so wonderful and full of charm. Hee hee...get it? Full of CHARM?  Cheesy Grin It looks so much like one of Jennieingram or Patty-O's wonderful bracelets! And my kids like it to Wink Keeps them occupied standing in lines.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012 06:43:32 AM by IsikkahJai » THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012 06:47:31 AM »

You have a fabulous person to inspire you and also a gracious and generous person to help you along!  Wonderful job--I do like the background you used since it is meaningful to your bracelet!

Lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CreativeKaye
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012 08:16:33 AM »

This is so cool! You did an amazing job. I love how you based the jewelry on a tv show!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012 03:30:52 PM »

Thanks everyone! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to UV Map in Blender
How to Use Basic Key Framing and IPO Curves in Blender
How to Model with Subserfs in Blender
How to Use Rampshaders in Blender
How to Use Dupliverts in Blender
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...