A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nerdist "Find Your Tribe" Cross Stitch  (Read 584 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Staar84
« on: August 23, 2012 01:20:10 AM »

Let me warn you first, I'm terrible at cross stitch. I don't do it how you're supposed to, so I don't do very many. So the edges are a little sloppy around the corners, and trust me, you don't want to see the back. But I felt like a cross stitch was the best way to do this one since it resembles pixals. Regardless, this one is very special to me personally. The center is based on the logo from the Nerdist Podcast, hosted by Chris Hardwick, Matt Mira, and Jonah Ray (they're comedians). This spring they did a tour, doing live podcasts in different cities. They came to Boulder, CO, which is about an hour away from me, so my boyfriend and I went since we're both HUGE fans of the podcast. The quote is from this video, where Chris talks about finding friends you can be yourself around, even if they're not from your town, and how much the internet has helped people find other liked-minded individuals. That even if you were picked on as a child, or felt like you didn't fit in, as an adult if you follow your passions you could "find your tribe" (just fyi, the quote itself is about 9 minutes in, so if you don't want to watch the whole thing you don't have to). I feel like geeky crafting has really done that for me, so I really needed to do this.

I started this cross stitch about the time we bought tickets, but I was working so much I didn't have time to finish it before the live show. I brought it anyway, and they all autographed it; including Astronomer Phil Plait, (from Bad Astronomy) who was the guest. He was really awesome too, he talked about how much HE loves geek crafters, and told me about the TARDIS builders group, which I had no idea existed before then Cheesy

The podcast (the one we went to) is here: http://www.nerdist.com/2012/03/nerdist-podcast-phil-plait-live-in-boulder/
If you've never listened to Nerdist I highly recommend it, they're hilarious. There's also a ton of other podcasts on the site, including a writer's one, a comic book one, and one about Star Trek hosted by the son of Gene Roddenberry. http://www.nerdist.com/podcasts/

And Matt Mira is an awesome hugger, btw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist

Hi, my name is Erin and I'm addicted to swapping...

International Snack Swap
Star Trek V
One Tiny Monster Swap
cursive_queen
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012 01:46:23 PM »

Awesome!  I love Nerdist, the logo lends itself well to 8-bit/square designs. My sister went to that show, she brought Chris a custom doll she  made of him dressed as the 10th Doctor.

I saw them in Atlanta and brought Chris a present, but totally forgot to bring anything to be signed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Handmade Redhead
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012 03:32:03 PM »

Very cool!  My husband and I have just started watching their BBC America show.  I havent tried the podcasts yet though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Photoshop Tutorial -Toning & Burning
Simulate Acrylic or Oil Portrait in Photoshop
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 3a
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 2c
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 1c
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...