A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,178
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to color a plastic embroidery hoop??  (Read 1530 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

canamharris
« on: August 21, 2012 07:14:35 PM »

This is not me telling you how to do it! Sorry!

I needed a 7inch embroidery hoop for a swap but in my small town I had very very little choice! The only one I could get was a plastic one and its blue! Its not a bad blue, but it doesn't go with the embroidery and fabric I did. So now I'm sitting here staring at it trying to figure out how to color it. Paint it? Wrap it? I don't know! What will work! (its kinda like those fake wood looking ones, it rolls onto the white inner hoop.)

I'm afraid to try painting it. I don't want it to come off on the fabric. I don't know if wrapping it in ribbon will work because of the way it rolls onto the inner hoop. I even thought about modge podging. But I just don't know what will work, stick to it and look good! Ugh.

Any suggestions? Anything you've tried that worked??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012 02:32:34 AM »

When you say it rolls on, does that mean there is no screw at the top to loosen or tighten it like with the wooden hoops?  If you can adjust the tightness, then I have wrapped mine in ribbon and glued the ends, as well as modpodged tissue paper on for texture and colour.  If it just slips on, that makes it a bit harder.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
canamharris
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012 11:03:21 AM »

No screw at top! Its very similar to those fake wood ones and the outer ring is a bit rubbery and rolls onto the inner hoop.

I'm tempted to try spray painting but don't know if its a good idea or not!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sacreligioushippie
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012 04:08:51 PM »

It sounds like a tension embroidery hoop. (Like this one http://www.joann.com/darice-spring-tension-hoop-5/prd12000/). I don't think spray paint will stick to that. I like the ribbon wrapping idea though. Sorry, I'm not much help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
canamharris
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012 07:01:06 PM »

no, its more like this kind:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/59455874/large-oval-faux-bois-embroidery-frame?ref=sr_gallery_10&ga_includes%5B%5D=materials&ga_search_query=faux+wood+embroidery+hoop&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

But just a color and not faux woodgrain
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alison.anne
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012 08:00:46 AM »

I think wrapping with ribbon might work, unless the outer hoop is concave on the inside (I can't tell from that picture). It's made to accommodate fabric, so adding some ribbon in there shouldn't hurt... as long as you choose a thin ribbon, wrap tightly, and don't overlap too much. My worry with the ribbon is that it might slip. I've only added ribbon to wood hoops, where the grain of the wood keeps the ribbon from sliding around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012 10:39:30 AM »

I think wrapping it is the best option. I think the paint would definitely come off, especially since it's plastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012 12:26:33 AM »

I've been thinking about this on and off for a little bit and had a wild idea.

If you find some of that heat shrink tube in a comparable (slightly larger) size and a tolerable color, maybe you could make a slit in the back of it, get it on the frame, mount your piece, and then use a hair drier to shrink it.  A hair drier should work on the heat shrink, as it is very thin, but shouldn't hurt your piece.  I wouldn't advise a heat gun unless you are SUPER careful. 

Maybe?

Paint isn't going to stay, unless you painted it after you mounted the fabric.  Even then, it's dubious since there isn't much that will stick to a flexable and fairly smooth plastic. 

I think the idea of wrapping it with something is most likely for the best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Correlating

YOU are a cheeseball! :D

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012 11:28:26 AM »

washi tape! or colored duct tape... or even electrical tape! i found this posting the other day and i love the striped look http://summerdaystudio.typepad.com/blog/2012/08/show-your-embroidery-hoop-stripes.html

i think any sort of tape would work.. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...puttin' things together...
canamharris
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012 01:31:58 PM »

Where do people get this washi tape I keep hearing about? (Probably because I live in such a small town, I've just never seen it in stores!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Baja Style Fried Lobster Recipe
How to Make a Bison Burger
Grilled Large Clam Recipe
Dorado Fish in Salsa Sauce Recipe
Scallops in Vinaigrette Sauce Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...