A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 299,151
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Garden Challenge 2012!  (Read 1445 times)
Tags for this thread: great_garden_challenge_2012  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lissieinthesky
« on: August 30, 2012 11:38:38 PM »

This was our first try at a garden. We bought our home in October of 2011 and have been working on the entire thing ever since! The entire yard needed to be replaced and when we first started all the planning, I made sure we had room for a garden plot. Here's a quick look at our garden progression:

Step 1: Build the fence.

Step 2: Rip out the old yard [patch of weeds, ha] and use LOTS of mint hay compost. [fun tidbit: my 8-year-old was MORTIFIED by this step. Apparently mint hay compost smells really bad, even when "there isn't cow poop in it, MOM."]

So far... just dirt and compost. Here's Hubbs working on the framing for our deck. After we finished the framing and the garden had been planted, we planted the grass seed. Poor garden had to fend for itself for a little bit while the grass grew, lol.

My tiller! Small but strong! I used her to mix up my plot before planting.

And finally! Step 3 [kinda]: The baby garden! And baby grass!

This rapidly turned into Step 4: HUGE garden! Excuse the horrible photo quality. This was taken by my 6-year-old with my iPod on a VERY bright evening. LOOK! CORN! WE ATE IT! My mom has tried to grow corn for years. It never works. Today my stalks are over 6 feet. Grin

This sort of shows everything we planted. I tried to do a variety of things but still make it so we would be able to eat, and enjoy, a harvest - if we got one! I was worried we wouldn't get much but we were lucky! The slugs ate my radishes, green leaf lettuce, and chard so they all died shortly after this was taken.

Second to tomatoes in harvest this year were the pickling cucumbers! I made pickles for the first time this year, SO yummy!

Coolest thing in the garden this year? The fact that my squash leaves were BIGGER THAN MY HEAD! I was so stoked to see how well they did.

And lastly, two of my garden helpers. Wink Who mostly just ate my strawberries (in a different area, not in the plot) and my green beans. Good thing they're cute...

We will definitely be giving this a shot next year too! Thanks for the entry and excited to see some more posts on gardens! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mel [newb looking for a swap!] Cheesy
Tardis-hugging, Star-Wars-loving, Browncoat. ;-)
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012 08:29:10 AM »

Yay! Your garden looks great! And I love that your whole family was so involved in every step!

Looks like you really got a lot of variety in there! Great 1st year...I'm sure you'll only get better from here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lissieinthesky
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012 08:57:17 AM »

Thanks, Abbeeroad! Love your handle, btw. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysmeine
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012 09:05:43 PM »

You managed to get quite a bit in that small corner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lissieinthesky
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012 08:38:43 PM »

Ysmeine, we did squeeze a LOT back in there. And on top of that, the tomatoes went INSANE. They're so big the cages are bending and pulling out of the ground and they're COVERED in little green tomatoes. I figured it would slow down but, lol, apparently they're not done! Tongue And of course the squash and cucumbers are trying to eat everything in its way, the usual. Smiley But we really have been enjoying being able to harvest something we actually planted ourselves. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cut Long Hair Yourself
How to Highlight Long Hair
How to Manage Long Hair in the Heat
How to Do a Low Ponytail
How to Wash Long Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...