A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
387 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Easy (upcycled) fruit/veggie sun-drying/dehydrating frame  (Read 1040 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

WideEyedLife
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 21, 2012 12:56:18 PM »

TUTORIAL: Easy (Upcycled) Sun-drying Frame

Do you have a freaky-monster explosion of tomatoes or other fresh food you can't possibly eat?  Are you fond of upcycling and dried food?  Do you love being green?  Are you in the middle of devastating drought-ridden heat?  If you can answer yes to any one of those questions, this project just may be for you!  Grin

Materials needed:

• Any old window screen (the roll pictured here is the leftovers from after my dog scratched a huge hole in my door and I had to replace that screening with new)
  • Any old frame (okay, let's clarify; it would be good to not use a frame you suspect might be painted with LEAD)(And, yes, I apologize in advance, knowing there are some people who will wince to see this use of old frames, having OH so many better ways to use them...lol)
  • Staple gun
  • Staples
  • Scissors

This is pretty dang self-explanatory, but here goes!  Wink

Step 1:
Flip the frame so its back is facing up.  Cut a piece of screen the (approximate) same size as the exterior dimensions of the frame.

Step 2:
Cut a slice in the screen.  Extending from the corner to about where the frame becomes recessed.  Repeat for each corner.

Step 3:
Roll one side of the screening into a tidy little roll about the width of the frame's recessed area.

Step 4:
Press the screen into the corner and staple it, as shown.  Staple the length of that roll.

Step 5:
Now go to the side opposite the side you just stapled, make another roll, pull tight (though not so tight it tears) and staple in place.  (CRITICAL: MAKE SURE THE SCREEN IS TIGHT---so that the heavy produce doesn't cause it to sag later on.)

Step 6:
On either of the two remaining un-stapled sides, fold over the two quasi-triangle pieces toward the center of what will become your next roll.

Step 7:
Make the roll.

Step 8:
Staple that roll, then move on to the other side and do the same thing.  On the second side, gently pull screen tight while stapling to ensure your screen maintains its tightness.

Step 9:
Turn screen over.  VOILA!  DONE!   Grin
 Now it's time to take all those lovely fruities, slice and dice, and place them in the sun!

The frames in action:
Notice the 2x4s (oh so beautiful  Roll Eyes) that I have set under the frames, to allow air to flow fully around the fruit.

These images bring to mind my going as a girl to the local apricot orchard where they had thousands of apricots out drying on screens in the sun.  Best damn dried apricots I have EVER had!

It takes me four to six days to dry halved cherry tomatoes, depending on how hot it is, how soon I get them out on the table, and how big the fruit is to begin with.  (I keep forgetting the "after" pictures! lol)

Tips:
  • Remember to raise the frames with something to promote airflow.
  • Put same thickness fruit on the same tray.
  • Be aware of the weather forecast.
  • Bring fruit in at night if it is very dewy.
  • Some people recommend cheesecloth to protect from bugs.  (I don't care; I've had no problems.)
  • I put my dehydrating fruit on a glass table to get the reflective heat from below involved in the drying process.

Any comments, criticism, warnings, "hey, that was freaking unclear," or don't-dos would be greatly appreciated.  Or recipes.  Does anyone have any SUPER recipes involving masses of dried tomatoes?   Grin

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012 12:59:12 PM by WideEyedLife » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovesclutter

Nothing is safe in its native form.

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012 03:27:48 PM »

Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012 06:32:53 AM »

This is pretty awesome. Thanks for the great info!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...