I think the best way to explain what's going on with this project is to present the timeline of it. So here goes...Christmas 2010
My brother-in-law sees me crocheting slippers for myself and suddenly sits down and say, "Ok, can you do this..." And proceeds to describe an afghan that involves the logos of various DC Comic Superheros. So we discuss for awhile and come up with a concept.January 2011
I begin working on the panels in the above pictures. I started with Batman, because I had found the graph for it some time earlier and it happened to be the right size. Meanwhile, my husband (his brother is the one who this is for) begins designing the other 3 logos.May 2011
I finally finish all 4 panels but before I can get around to joining them together, we have to start packing up the house because we're moving. I talking a 6 hour drive move...one that requires a huge truck and for everything to be packed and moved in one fell swoop. Not an across town move that can take several days and a bunch of trips in the car. Anyway, the project gets packed away and I don't work on it for awhile.October 2011
The house is in order, we've finally got a new routine down and I decide I probably ought to proceed with this project. I try several ways of joining the panels together, but nothing looks right. After a lengthy discussion with my husband, we decide the best option would be to start over so that the whole thing can be made in 1 piece. I had not considered doing this from the start because a) I did not have a hook big enough to do it all at once and b) I had seen several projects of a similar nature where people first made various panels and then joined them later.
However, I don't start on this right away because I know that it will never get finished before Christmas and I have several other projects I need to get done first.
Now I've finally restarted it and I have 19/280 rows done. It probably won't get done for Christmas this year, but I might have it done in time for a birthday/late Christmas combo (Feb).
Anyway, here is what it looks like so far...
The hook in the picture is not the one I'm using to make it. (It's just there to hold it open). I'm actually using a hook from a knooking kit which I've threaded a long, thin ribbon though and tied a huge button on the end of. It's really working out quite well.
Wish me luck!