A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DC Superhero Afghan...still in progress  (Read 3321 times)
Tags for this thread: superhero  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ENGRbyDAY
« on: August 21, 2012 11:55:44 AM »

I think the best way to explain what's going on with this project is to present the timeline of it. So here goes...

Christmas 2010
My brother-in-law sees me crocheting slippers for myself and suddenly sits down and say, "Ok, can you do this..." And proceeds to describe an afghan that involves the logos of various DC Comic Superheros. So we discuss for awhile and come up with a concept.

January 2011
I begin working on the panels in the above pictures. I started with Batman, because I had found the graph for it some time earlier and it happened to be the right size. Meanwhile, my husband (his brother is the one who this is for) begins designing the other 3 logos.

May 2011
I finally finish all 4 panels but before I can get around to joining them together, we have to start packing up the house because we're moving. I talking a 6 hour drive move...one that requires a huge truck and for everything to be packed and moved in one fell swoop. Not an across town move that can take several days and a bunch of trips in the car. Anyway, the project gets packed away and I don't work on it for awhile.

October 2011
The house is in order, we've finally got a new routine down and I decide I probably ought to proceed with this project. I try several ways of joining the panels together, but nothing looks right. After a lengthy discussion with my husband, we decide the best option would be to start over so that the whole thing can be made in 1 piece. I had not considered doing this from the start because a) I did not have a hook big enough to do it all at once and b) I had seen several projects of a similar nature where people first made various panels and then joined them later.

However, I don't start on this right away because I know that it will never get finished before Christmas and I have several other projects I need to get done first.

Now I've finally restarted it and I have 19/280 rows done. It probably won't get done for Christmas this year, but I might have it done in time for a birthday/late Christmas combo (Feb).

Anyway, here is what it looks like so far...

The hook in the picture is not the one I'm using to make it. (It's just there to hold it open). I'm actually using a hook from a knooking kit which I've threaded a long, thin ribbon though and tied a huge button on the end of. It's really working out quite well.

Wish me luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noooitaremybirthday
Tutorial Contributor

You don't have to type the whole thing...Call me Nooo :D

I've gone through like 5 gluesticks this week...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012 03:15:12 PM »

Whooooa! This is going to look amazing when it's all finished. The individual squares look fantastic already! Best of luck Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

ahonui, lokahi, 'aka'aka

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012 09:29:07 PM »

Those individual panels look incredible! I think doing it in one piece will look really nice. It's too bad you have to do it all over again, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest | etsy | blog

Can i knit you something in seed stitch? I'd love to swap you for: handspun yarn, hand carved banana stamp...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using a Shooting Tethered Rig
Finding an Affordable Softbox
Bat Bag For Light Stands
SB600 Optical Slave
Reflector Stands Are Cheaper Than Assistants
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...