A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,860
Currently Running With Scissors:
727 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Copyright violations on facebook business page, trying to reach the artists.  (Read 680 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fruitysalad
« on: August 21, 2012 12:22:43 AM »

Hi everyone!
I was very annoyed this morning to be shown a facebook album full of knitted and crochet items that I know to have been made by artists I admire with no credit given to them or links back to their projects. This included even pictures taken from Etsy sales pages. If it had been an individual simply collecting their own inspirational photo's together I wouldn't have worried about it, however it is business selling yarn with over 18000 likes.

I contacted them and the following conversation ensued:

Me, (in very poor google Spanish): The photos used are not owned by you. You did not do these handicrafts. I reconised my artist friends work amoung them. You must give credit to the artist and a link to the original description. Please do this or delete these images. It is not legal to remove copyright. It is not moral to do this to fellow artist. It is wrong to decieve your likers.

Them: Of course all the pictures are not ours! If we have the name of the author we ritht it down....if not we dont wright anything until the owner appers. If you know the owner of some pictuers pls let us know to name them. Tks a lot for your cooperation!

Me: Thank you for replying in english, I wish I knew your language too, a computer translation is not the same.
 I do not understand how you can not know where the photo comes from. Perhaps if you can't find an original picture it would be better not to put them on your page, or at least put a link to the page where you found the picture. The artists should not have to look at every page on facebook to find their work and tell a person where it came from.

Them:  I understand what you say, but when you have thouthands of pictures is not easy. We dont want to disturb anyone and we write it if we have the original name of the owner of the design. Tks a lot!

As I went through their albums I found only a handful that did have some recognition, there were no links whatsoever.  I know there a couple of images I've seen on here, but I have the feeling they've pulled them of flikr.

Am I allowed to name this page so that you can have a look and help identify the work of others?

So far I've found 27 of the originals and the friend who showed me (who's fb page is Hook, Art and Song) is going to contact as many of those owners as she can, but there are a lot more on there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
baterista9
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012 03:39:27 PM »

I sympathize, but the best you can do is probably what you already have done, unless you have lots of spare time to seek out the affected artists.  Walk away; you've done your good deed.
  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012 04:01:12 PM »

I agree it's not a good use of your time to hunt down artists that you can't easily identify.  If posting the specific site is not against Craftster's user agreement, you may want to think about notifying the posters on the "Crafty Business Advice" board. 

Them:  I understand what you say, but when you have thouthands of pictures is not easy. We dont want to disturb anyone and we write it if we have the original name of the owner of the design. Tks a lot!

Ridiculous.  The burden should be on the posting site to get permission from artists.  The images shouldn't be posted if the site administration doesn't have permission.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cast Actors for a Play
How to Deal with Difficult Actors
How to Be a Theatre Director
How to Direct a Play
How to Select a Play to Direct
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...