A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kidsilk haze stripe jersey - with instructions  (Read 901 times)
Tags for this thread: sweater , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2012 11:43:02 AM »

The yarn for this jersey is the Rowan kidsilk haze stripe by Kaffe Fassett.  You are supposed to use it to knit a scarf but I loved the colours so much I wanted a jersey.   It was not cheap.  I paid 17.50 a ball but it only took two balls to make.  It is not hard to knit but it is quite hard to undo mistakes because the yarn felts itself together almost as soon as it is knitted.

The jersey  is quite delicate and I am being very careful about handwashing it etc but I love it so much.  The colours make me think of clouds and sunsets.

I made up the pattern as I went along which is why some of the increases are in odd places.  Also although I did write it down it was on a rather scrappy piece of paper and part of it got lost so I have had to try and recreate it from memory.  So if you do try this think about it as you go as there may be some mistakes. 

Basically it is knit from cuff to cuff with a plain slit/boat neck opening and the stitch alternates 12 rows of "wool round needle, knit two together, knit one" with 6 rows of stocking stitch.

Kidsilk Haze Stripe Jersey

Yarn by Rowan and Kaffe Fassett. 2 x 50g balls of Kidsilk Haze Stripe.
5 mm circular needle. You can use a pair of longish needles but you will need a circular one for the bottom rib and it is easier to knit across the whole body if you use a circular needle. 21/22 rows and 15/17 stitches to 10 cm.  I am 108cm/42.5 inch bust.  You could probably make it larger or smaller simply by increasing or reducing the number of rows across the chest.

Cast on 44 stitches   (The cuff)
15 rows of Knit 1 Purl 1 rib
6 rows of stocking stitch
12 rows:   Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 14 times.
6 rows stocking stitch (Increase one stitch at beginning of first 2 rows and 1 stitch in the middle of the third row)                            (47 stitches)
12 rows:   Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1)  15 times
6 rows stocking stitch (Increase one stitch at the beginning of each row)      (53 stitches)
12 rows:   Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 17 times
6 rows stocking stitch (Increase 1 stitch at each end and in the middle of each knit row)
                              (62 stitches)
6 rows:      Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 20 times
(Increasing for the body)
Next row:   Cast on 6 stitches at beginning  of next row. Knit 8 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 20 times.                     (68 stitches)
Next row:   Cast on 6 stitches at beginning  of next row. Knit 8 (wool round needle, Knit 2, together, Knit 1) 22 times.                     (74 stitches)
4 rows:      Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 24 times
6 rows stocking stitch, casting on 4 stitches at the beginning of each row.   (98 stitches)
2 rows:      Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 32 times
Next row:   Cast on 12 stitches, Knit 14 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 32 times
Next row:   Cast on 12 stitches, Knit 14 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 36 times
Next row:   Cast on 12 stitches, Knit 14 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 40 times
Next row:   Cast on 12 stitches, Knit 14 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 44 times
                              (146 stitches)
6 rows:      Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 48 times
5 rows stocking stitch
Next row:    Purl to centre, turn.                  (73 stitches)     
(The body - front)
Next row:   cast on 4 stitches, * Knit 4 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1)24 times
                              (77 stitches)
Next row:   Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 23 times, wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 3. *
Next 10 rows:   Repeat from * to * 5 times.
(6 rows stocking stitch, repeat  from * to * 6 times.) Three times.  Slide stitches onto a needle holder.
(The body - back)
Now return to the needle with the 73 stitches. Join thread at centre, cast on 4 stitches and purl to end                              (77 stitches)
Next row:   **Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 23 times, wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 3
Next row:   Knit 4 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 24 times**
Next 10 rows:    Repeat from ** to ** 5 times
(6 rows stocking stitch, repeat  from * to * 6 times.) Three times.
Next row:   Knit 73 stitches.  Pick up the 4 garter stitches from the other half and alternate them with the last 4 stitches. Then cast them off, 2 at a time so that one side overlaps the other. Knit the remaining 73 stitches.
Beginning with a Purl row work another 5 rows of stocking stitch.       (146 stitches)
6 rows:       Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 48 times
(Decreasing for the second sleeve)
Next row:   Cast off 12 stitches, Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 44 times
Next row:   Cast off 12 stitches, Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 40 times
Next row:   Cast off 12 stitches, Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 36 times
Next row:   Cast off 12 stitches, Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 32 times
                              (98 stitches)
2 rows:      Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 32 times
6 rows stocking stitch, casting off 4 stitches at the beginning of each row.   (74 stitches)
4 rows:      Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 24 times
Next row:   Cast off 6 stitches at beginning  of next row. Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2, together, Knit 1) 22 times.                     (68 stitches)
Next row:   Cast off 6 stitches at beginning  of next row. Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 20 times.                     (62 stitches)
6 rows:      Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 20 times
6 rows stocking stitch (Decrease 1 stitch at each end and in the middle of each knit row)
                              (53 stitches)
12 rows:   Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 17 times
6 rows stocking stitch (Decrease one stitch at the beginning of each row)   (47 stitches)
12 rows:   Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1)  15 times
6 rows stocking stitch (Decrease one stitch at beginning of first 2 rows and 1 stitch in the middle of the third row)                            (44 stitches)
12 rows:   Knit 2 (wool round needle, Knit 2 together, Knit 1) 14 times.
6 rows of stocking stitch
15 rows of Knit 1 Purl 1 rib
Cast off.
Sew up the side seams and sew down the neck edges to give the width of neck you want. (In my case it was about 30 cm.)
Using a circular needle, pick up 142 stitches around the bottom edge and do about 20 rows of Knit 1 Purl 1 rib. Cast off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftykrish2010
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012 07:51:31 PM »

Hi! Cheesy

Just loved the way colors are laying!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets Celebrate life
winter83
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012 12:32:58 AM »

I love this! I really like the vertical stripes the colors make. I love stripes on a shirt but I will never wear horizontal stripes. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
British Designer Makes Most Expensive Dress In The World
Marchesa Goes Sporty For The New York Jets
WAG Kelly Brook Says She Dresses To Flatter Her Curves
Who Rocked the Frock: Edie Falco, Tess Daly, or Shalom Harlow?
Top Five Fall Denim Trends
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...