A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cable luxe hat  (Read 1769 times)
Tags for this thread: knitting_challenge_selfish_knitting  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2012 09:04:24 AM »

I hope this is the right place to post my challenge entry.  Being first almost makes me as nervous as being last.

So a couple of years ago I saw a fabulous sweater here on craftster.  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=283624.0  Later on I saw that the Lion Brand Cable Luxe Tunic was free and had a similar horizontal cable, and decided to give it a whirl.  I took it with me lots of places to work on it.  But it seemed like whenever people would comment on it and I would mention that it was for myself, that would stop the conversation.  Strange.

I got it to the point that I could try it on.  It just didn't fit right.  Don't let the photo fool you.  Maybe if I had followed the pattern... but we all know how that goes.

So I ripped it out and tried again.  No good.  Left it for a year.  Ripped out and tried again.  And again.  Aargh!

So much later, I decided that I was sick of the reproachful and forlorn looks I got every time I glanced its way.  I yanked that project bag out of the corner and ripped out everything but the main cable panel.  All that yarn got knit into a small baby blanket for a new neice. 

But I couldn't get rid of that beautiful cable.  So I kept enough to go round my noggin, ripped out what was leftover, and used it to form the crown and rib for a hat.  For me.

And it's not perfect, but it has memories in it from all the places I took it when I thought it was a sweater.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012 09:18:22 AM »

Pretty! I love what you said about it now having memories of the places you took it as a sweater. That's a great sentiment! And the now-finished product is lovely.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012 11:59:10 AM by Calabaza » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012 11:54:09 AM »

Way to improvise!  It turned out so cute as a hat!!  Great job!  And awesome job on making something for yourself!  It is always hard for me to make something for myself instead of someone else.  Its awesome to make something for yourself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
sarahj2001
Knitting Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012 12:14:13 PM »

Very nice!  I'm glad you saved the cable part...it would have been a shame to rip it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012 08:32:02 AM »

Thanks everyone!

I have to admit, I probably got some inspiration for using the cable panel on a hat from this post:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=320534.0

I've had that hat, and the sweater I mentioned at the beginning, in my bookmarks since they were each first posted.  So the ideas have been gestating in my head for quite a while.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scholars and artists...differ most importantly in the way their knowledge is come by.  Scholars get theirs with conscientious thoroughness along projected lines of logic; poets...stick to nothing deliberately, but let what will stick to them like burrs where they walk in the fields.
  -Robert Frost
PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012 02:59:17 PM »

Wow, this really reinstalls that little feeling I get once a year that makes me want to learn to knit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012 08:34:31 PM »

Such a wonderful thing that you didn't rip that cable!  it makes a fablous hat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dulcet

hopscotch on bubble-wrap

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012 08:55:16 AM »

Wow, I can hardly believe I got any votes!  I didn't even vote for myself after seeing those fair isle mittens.  I've haven't tried color changes.  It looks like you've actually got to pay attention to what you're knitting.  I'm glad she won.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Robert Frost
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Parcelled Camembert and Cranberry
How to Make a Blood Orange Tart with Lemon Curd
How to Make Stracciatella Tortoni Cake with Espresso Fudge Sauce
Deep, Dark Chocolate Stout Cake Recipe
How to Make Classic Banana Bread
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...