A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,076
Currently Running With Scissors:
714 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pattern reading help  (Read 471 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shadow_kitten
« on: August 18, 2012 02:55:16 AM »

Hi, I've been crocheting for a little while now but up until now I've made amigurumi using rounds & my friend has just started crocheting & she's asked me to help her make this pattern:

http://www.rocknrollbride.com/2011/03/how-to-crochet-your-own-cupcake-garland-diy-tutorial-by-twinkie-chan-giveaway/

I did row 1 fine but I got stuck on row 2. I got confused about how to turn the crocheting (wasn't sure whether it should be flipped vertically or horizontally) & also in row 2, which is:

Row 2: (Ch 3, dc) in same st, (2 dc) each in next 5 dc. Turn. (12 sts)

I've been told that "ch 3, dc" means that 3 chains counts as a dc. It doesn't make sense to me but I understand that that is what the pattern is saying (unless I was told wrong) but I don't understand the next part. Which stitch do I do the next 2 dc? Do I do it in the first chain that I made at the start of the row or somewhere else?

The third row also doesn't make sense to me:
Row 3: (Ch 3, dc) in same st, 1 dc in next st. [(2 dc), 1 dc] 5 times. (18 sts). Dont break off.

I'd really appreciate any help I could get!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012 04:29:01 AM »

Turning - always turn horizontally. The goal is to work the next row's stitches into the stitches of the row you just finished.

The chain 3 is called a "turning chain" and turning chains are designed to get the hook to the correct height for the stitches to come. According to crochet standards, the turning chain for double crochet counts as a stitch.  So, don't treat it like a base chain, treat it like a stitch (in other words, don't work into the side of it, just work into the top of it when you work your next row).

So, for R2, you start with ch3, then work a dc into the first stitch of the previous row. Then you work 2 dc into the second stitch of the previous row. Then you work 2 dc into the third stitch of the previous row. Then 2 dc in the fourth stitch. Then 2 dc in the fifth stitch. Then 2 dc in the sixth stitch.

For R3 you chain 3 then dc in the first stitch of the previous row (remember that you've turned the work, so the "first stitch" here is actually the last stitch you made on that row). Then dc in the second stitch. Then 2 dc in the third stitch. Then dc in the fourth. Keep repeating the pattern of "1 dc in the next stitch then 2 dc in the one after that" until you reach the end of the row.

Don't cut the yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shadow_kitten
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012 09:23:23 PM »

Ah that makes much more sense, thank you!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sew Zippers
How to Make Colonial Knots
How to Make Hot Fix Transfers
How to Make a Leather Toggle
Creating Designs with The Bernina Cutwork Accessory
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...