A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidered mobile video game!  (Read 6238 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game , bear , forest , squirrel , hedgehog , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jamian
« on: August 17, 2012 07:35:04 PM »

I just finished my first mobile game, Brownie: Spirit of the Woods!  I hope embroidery is the appropriate category-- it might fit toys, dolls and playthings, or miscellaneous--but the embroidery is my favorite part! Smiley

The basic premise is that a storm is coming to the woods, and you're a bear riding on a broom, scooping up stranded critters and rescuing them before the storm catches up to you. You steer Brownie by tilting your device, and tap the screen to rescue the critters. It's just a super-simple, cutesy game Smiley

I've been wanting to make this game for awhile, but I was feeling uninspired as I tried and failed to draw good graphics (especially since we had gotten rid of our Wacom tablet, and I was having to draw using a mouse, which you have to have really steady hands and lots of patience for!) But then it hit me: okay, maybe I'm not great at digital art, BUT, I am a crafter--what if I could make the graphics out of fabric? I had never seen this done with games before, but I was inspired by the felt books I've seen on here, as well as Clare Beaton's work, which looks fabulous.  So I set out to do just that, and I'm so happy I did.

I just had to make a few basic art objects, took high-res photos of them, and then I replicated them for the game.
Here are the trees, Brownie, and the critters you're rescuing:

Brownie is made from an old towel, the broom is made from a twig in our yard and some rope, and the critters are made from old pillowcases and various fabrics (I love to recycle! Smiley).

For the end screen, I didn't do embroidery because I wanted it to look a little different than the rest of the game. So for the trees, I braided a bunch of strands of yarn, and then lined them up and sewed them together, maneuvering the different braided strands to make branches (if that makes sense...) I threaded metallic gold thread throughout the trees. Then I scattered some felt fabric for the leaves, and used the same brown towel I used for Brownie to make the ground. It has a sheer red, yellow, and orange tulle fabric for the background, but it's hard to really see it because the "sun" is shining so brightly.

And one of my favorite parts is that even the text is hand-stitched. To make this, I just stitched the alphabet, and then turned it into a font using a program called Hiero Font editor. It turned out to be more time-consuming than I had expected! It may not look as crisp as a regular font, but I think it's worth it to have everything onscreen be handmade.

One thing I learned is that even a simple game takes a tooooon of work and time (this game took about 6 months, although not full-time). I also learned that it's worth it to keep tweaking until you're happy (even though at a certain point, you have to accept what you have!) For example, at first I only had a pretty basic camera, so the graphics weren't crisp or clear at all, so it was definitely worth it to upgrade my camera!

And one last note: The sound effects are made from my 16-month-old daughter's babbling noises, which I love <3

Here are some screenshots:

And the trailer, (which was a craft project in itself!): http://youtu.be/g23rDbT7Y3s

Thanks so much for looking--I appreciate any c&c!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012 11:18:52 AM by kittykill » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dreadlady

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012 08:03:02 PM »

Wow. Amazed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/dreadlady/

ATC ADDICT
Want to swap ATC's?  huh, huh, do ya?
bethanael
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012 09:02:21 PM »

That is so coo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012 10:43:27 PM »

This is absolutely stunning.  I love all the little embroidered creatures and the woven/plaited trees.  It gives the whole game such a natural woodsy look.  You are so clever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBrokenButterfly
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012 10:49:27 PM »

As an avid crafter, a computer science major, and overall nerd, I am in love with this!!! I love how you combined so many forms of art! This is so awesome!!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

themuppet
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Wants your tasty brainmeats.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012 11:11:16 PM »

holy crap!! That is the most awesome thing EVER.  GO YOU!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

seneris
Medieval Craft lover

I live to learn new crafting techniques!

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012 12:04:07 AM »

I'm lost for words, this is so awesome Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt - use gold paint Wink
50 projects in 2013 craftalong
jamian
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012 04:53:30 AM »

Thanks so much for all the nice comments!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012 05:09:43 AM »

That is way cool! I love all the texture you gave it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fancybutch

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012 08:27:56 AM »

this is amazing, I love both the idea and your execution, the lettering is great, the use of layers,and the bear on the broom is my favourite!  I'm off to look at your links Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I reserve my right to be complex." Leslie Feinberg
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Flourless Chocolate Cake with Mexican Chocolate Sauce Recipe
Health: Avoid These Cookies During The Holiday Season
How To Make Classic Sugar Cookies With Royal Icing
5-Minute Fudge Wreath
Heather Bertinelli’s Peanut Brittle
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...