A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
459 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to dye a cotton blend, lightly patterned dress?  (Read 1054 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rara_Avis
« on: August 17, 2012 02:35:16 PM »

I finally found a summer dress that fits me perfectly and I absolutely love. I loved it so much I bought a second one assuming that I could just dye it another colour and have 2 fabulous dresses. Ive never dyed anything before so I thought it would be as easy as popping the dress in a bucket with some dye and magically pulling it out in another colour.

I bought some Rit whitener and a few boxes of purple Rit dye but the Rit website says that the dye will not work on fabrics which are cold-wash only. This dress says to hand wash in cold water or dry clean (but I already accidently put it through the washing machine already with no ill-effects).  There is no way for me to do a patch test without applying dye to a visible part of the dress, which I dont want to do since it is otherwise wearable. After reading through the FAQs it seems the general consensus here is that Rit is awful as far as dyes go anyway. Since everyone seems to agree that Rit is no good Im happy to switch to another type of dye or paint.

The dress is 97% cotton and 3% spandex with a black/grey/white gingham pattern, with white being the dominant colour. Im fine with the pattern showing through the dye, but I would prefer if I could cover up the gingham completely. Is there ay way I can make this dress another colour or am I screwed?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012 07:20:11 AM »

I use RIT quite a bit and while I agree that it's not the best it does work as long as you don't mind colors not being exact and a little bit of fading over time.

Since your dress is primarily cotton I think it should be fine to dye with RIT. But really the only way to know is to try it! Your initial assessment should be fine! Pop it in a bucket and see what happens! Or you could try dying in the washing machine. Refashionista does this all the time. You might end up with something slightly different than you envision so some flexibility will ensure you are happy with the outcome.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
CC Cream Reviews
The Rules to Wearing Dark Lipstick Like a Pro
The Trick to Covering Up Age Spots
The Nail Art Trend Is Over
Top Picks for Eye Shadow Primer
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...