A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: College/Cheap, fast, but not horribly unhealthy ---for Vegetarians!!!  (Read 11108 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Stevethegirl
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2010 07:02:47 PM »

Bookmarked!  Lovin' this thread.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Geniale
Formerly known as Burgz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010 10:11:24 PM »

Okay, just posted the link in another thread but it just doesn't get any easier than this (recipe actually comes from a cookbook written by the cook at the daycare I attended):

Egg in a Tomato
  • 1 tomato
  • 1/2 teaspoon butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon cheddar cheese, grated

- Cut off a thick slice at the stem end of a medium-size tomato; set aside.
- Scoop out seeds and centre pulp.
- Place tomato in a small bowl.
- Add butter inside the tomato.
- Break an egg inside the tomato.
- Pierce yolk with a toothpick or fork (very important).
- Sprinkle cheese over the egg.
- Place top slice over tomato.
- Microwave on medium-high (70%) for 1minute 45 seconds, or until egg is almost cooked.
- Let stand 1 minute.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010 07:47:46 AM by Burgz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Each one of us has a fire in our heart for something. Its our goal in life to find it and to keep it lit. " - Mary Lou Retton
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2010 07:11:17 AM »

Hmmm....that sounds like an awesome easy breakfast for the chronically late for work *cough* notthatIam chronicallylate *cough*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
kitty con carne

MEAT & HEAT... and cats.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011 11:19:47 PM »

My ultimate five-minute meal is couscous with whatever vegetables I have on hand and seasoned to fit my mood.

1/4 cup couscous
1/2 cup water
chopped veggies - daikon radish, shredded cabbage, minced carrot, minced bell pepper, chopped kale, broccoli florets, whatever! As long as you can eat it raw - no potatoes or rhubarb. Chrunchiness adds nice texture.
Butter/Olive Oil to taste

FLAVORINGS:
Soy Sauce and FAT (butter or olive oil)
Red Pasta Sauce
Canned Soup (1/2 can)
Salsa and Cheddar
Anything your heart desires!

1. Boil water.
2. Add CousCous and Veggies.
3. Cover and simmer for five minutes, or until water is soaked up.
4. Add FLAVOR!

My absolute favorite is radish/soysauce/olive oil. Seriously, it's great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011 06:35:26 PM »

I have an egg in a tomato in the microwave as I type...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2011 09:05:48 PM »

I want an egg in a tomato now.
me, I like left over spanish rice rolled up in a tortilla. Maybe I'll line it with a lettuce leaf, maybe add a splorsh of salsa. I can eat those cold, anytime of day.
And I'll toss in cooked veggies-carrots, cauliflower, what have you-into a batch of mac and cheese to add a token vitamin and make it a bit heartier.
Good old canned tomato soup, add a thinly sliced cooked carrot and or bell pepper (faster to nuke the veggies in the m icrowave first than to try and cook them in the soup) and maybe add some soy and or minced dried onion. Or a little dollop of hot sauce. Or almost anything, really.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
JustNaz9

I hope there's pudding...<3

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2011 07:07:52 AM »

As a vegetarian college student, this thread is right up my alley!

I am a huuuuge fan of mexican food, so quesadilla supplies are always in my fridge. I put a tortilla on a baking sheet, top with mexican style cheese (or whatever cheese I happen to have laying around), vegetables (black olives, bell pepper strips, chopped tomatoes....again, whatever I have laying around), and some dried cilantro. Top with the other tortilla and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. They're awesome with some salsa for dipping.

I eat veggies and rice at least twice a week. I buy the huge frozen bags of asian style veggies, plus extra edamame or sugar snap peas.

My boyfriend orders wings a lot, so my substitute is fried veggies. I dip mushrooms, bell pepper strips, or zucchini in flour, then egg, then seasoned breadcrumbs, place them on my pizza crisper pan and bake at 400 for about 15 minutes. When they come out I dip them in bbq sauce. Yuuuuummy.

Grilled cheese on rye bread with pepperjack and cheddar is another favorite. Especially with my "special" tomato soup. It's campbells condensed tomato soup with 1/2 can of milk, 1/2 can of water and cumin, cayenne, garlic, and basil. Delish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You cut up a thing that's alive and beautiful to find out how it's alive and why it's beautiful, and before you know it, it's neither of those things, and you're standing there with blood on your face and tears in your sight and only the terrible ache of guilt to show for it."
Clive Barker
astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

Fueled by the scent of rubber shavings....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2012 06:08:41 PM »

My quickbread is fast, cheap and probably not that unhealthy.

You'd need:
-  1 1/2 cup flour (I usually use white, but I think whole wheat would be interesting)
-  1 tsp. baking powder
-  1/2 tsp. salt (can use fancy salt, but I'm sticking with good old table salt, because hey, that's what I have)
-  1 1/2 tsp herbs/spices of choice (I used dill in my latest batch...pretty satisfying)
-  1 cup ice cold h20
-  silicone muffin/cupcake pan

Mix dry together, and add cold water to the mixture.  Stir until a loose batter forms, and spoon into a silicone muffin/cupcake pan until halfway full.  Bake at 400 degrees until risen and nicely brown on top.  Makes a crusty topped quickbread with a english muffin like moist inside.  They also freeze nicely as well!  Makes about five large rolls or six smaller ones.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I handcarve stamps, knit and have organic catnip.

Got shopping?:  http://www.shophandmade.com/Store/Madstamps

Personal Swapping...activated!

Looking for:  ATCs, some dry non-sanded grout mix

Got a 3DS?  I can clear save data from your games!  (Including RE Mercs 3D.)
Eilish
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012 11:41:49 AM »

My quickbread is fast, cheap and probably not that unhealthy.

You'd need:
-  1 1/2 cup flour (I usually use white, but I think whole wheat would be interesting)
-  1 tsp. baking powder
-  1/2 tsp. salt (can use fancy salt, but I'm sticking with good old table salt, because hey, that's what I have)
-  1 1/2 tsp herbs/spices of choice (I used dill in my latest batch...pretty satisfying)
-  1 cup ice cold h20
-  silicone muffin/cupcake pan

Mix dry together, and add cold water to the mixture.  Stir until a loose batter forms, and spoon into a silicone muffin/cupcake pan until halfway full.  Bake at 400 degrees until risen and nicely brown on top.  Makes a crusty topped quickbread with a english muffin like moist inside.  They also freeze nicely as well!  Makes about five large rolls or six smaller ones.  Cheesy

Made this tonight, very good! Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, nom! (and yes I made an account just to tell you that  Wink)

My student standby's are:
- Tomato kidney bean soup (fry a (red) onion, add a can of chopped tomatoes, a can of kidney beans, a can of water, chilli powder, p/s to taste), very easy, filling and good! If I have a bit more money I add salami or chorizo as well!
- Baked potato with salsa/butter/cheese/coleslaw/whatever I've got lying around - can't go wrong
- Stir fry (I buy cheap frozen stir fry veg (or cut up carrots and mushrooms), eat it with rice or noodles and soysauce and honey)
- Baked beans on toast (cheap as chips + apparently healthy as well)
- Special cheese on toast (I mix the end bits of cheese with a little mayo, mustard, p/s and milk which I spread on bread then whack it under the grill) - this is when I have nothing else lying around, however it's so good I still crave it even when I'm not watching every penny
- Tomato and cucumber salad with bread (I cut up the tomato and cucumber, add whatever herbs I want which is mostly oregano then add olive oil (if I have it) and some sort of vinegar (red wine, apple cider and balsamic all work well and can be found very cheap in Aldi/Lidl/Dollarstore/Poundland)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
astrangeone
The Paper Alchemist

Fueled by the scent of rubber shavings....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2012 07:28:10 AM »

Eilish, thanks for the compliments!  Hopefully you'd stick around - I love this site for ideas and sharing crafty ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I handcarve stamps, knit and have organic catnip.

Got shopping?:  http://www.shophandmade.com/Store/Madstamps

Personal Swapping...activated!

Looking for:  ATCs, some dry non-sanded grout mix

Got a 3DS?  I can clear save data from your games!  (Including RE Mercs 3D.)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Pop-Up Sound of Music Book Trailer
Lance Price Talks About When Power Lies
Allison Leotta Talks About Law of Attraction
Maurice Hamilton Talks About Chequered Conflict
Davy Rothbart Talks About Requiem for a Paper Bag
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...