A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: odd embellishments  (Read 1338 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crafty_tech
« on: August 16, 2012 11:59:03 AM »

I have a ton of these things that I got from my great-grandmother after she passes away. The top-left is a bird and the bottom-left is a butterfly. I remember we used the bottom-left most red ball on stick thing in a plastic plant pot and drilled holes into it, and hot glued these balls (of various colors) in and then put a light inside. But really I have huge jars filled of the ones in the bottom row and have no idea what to do with any of them, or even what they are called to look up ideas. In case you are wondering about the size all of these are sitting on one piece of standard paper.
I found small print on the angel that says 1978. What in the world were these used for? And what could I possibly use them for?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013 05:33:23 AM by MissingWillow - Reason: Revealed image for new member » THIS ROCKS   Logged
leopardstripes

The other one has bells on it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012 12:21:13 PM »

These look really familiar. I think my grandma had these, too, and I remember them as being lit up, on a little Christmas tree that we children decorated. They work like Lite-Brite pegs- the idea is that you poke them into something opaque with a light source inside, so that the light can shine out and through the object on the peg. I can't remember what the base was made of (the tree shape), but it had a light bulb inside. Might've been papier mache? It was some sort of a lamp-like thing, that could be put on a table. Sorry that my memory's so bad, but it's been a long time! How very cool that you found these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can't seem to stay with one guru long enough to get enlightened." -from the Life and Letters of Tofu Roshi
crafty_tech
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012 12:30:08 PM »

Thanks leopardstripes your lite-brite pegs comment, gave me a basis of what to look for. What I found was that they are generally called lite pegs. Still not sure what to use them for. I'm thinking making something like 8-bit art to put in the window. Like super Mario bros. or something. Any other ideas what to do with these lovelies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012 01:21:37 AM »

My mom has a small table top ceramic tree. There's a cord that plugs in, makes a light inside it. And it has holes drilled all over it, that these little pegs fit into, to look like glowing christmas lights on a tree.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
steiconi
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012 11:42:21 PM »

might look neat to stick a bunch into a sytro ball, so it's covered with colorful spikes.
or use a clear plastic ornament, drill holes to fit, put a light inside. paint the inside if you want an opaque effect.

trim off the pegs and drill holes to use as beads

hoard them forever and gloat as you run your fingers through them (what I would probably wind up doing with them)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
seleniebeanie
Running on all 4 cylinders!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013 06:45:46 PM »

They're for ceramics. But yeah, they'd be great used for embellishing other types of decorations.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My ultimate gifts to receive: Thread and Glue Sticks!
Creative Dragonfly

"Now I don't want a flea's breath of doubt."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013 03:21:02 AM »

Why not go ahead and create a homemade lite brite, but with awesome pictural pegs!?! I would if my mom would give me hers.  Roll Eyes 

I would go about creating it by using a plastic shoe box with a dark colored secure snap on lid (from the Dollar Tree or if you can't find one simply spray paint a clear one using multiple coats of black color), extra holiday string lights, a box cutter or other really sturdy blade for cutting plastic, a drill with appropriate sized bits (for the peg holes), and then the pegs. Use the box cutter to cut a small incision on the side near the bottom of the shoe box, use the drill & bits to create many peg sized holes in the box lid, and thread the lights into the box through the incision (leaving the plug on the outside). Now snap on the lid, play with the pegs, and then plug in/turn on the lights and see your creation!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm back and would love to make some new crafting friends!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Blow Dry Curly Hair Tutorial
How to Blow Dry Hair to Create Volume
How to Care for Dry and Damaged Hair
How to Combat Oily Hair
How to Color Your Hair at Home
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...