A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: MAPS!! Tons of maps!  (Read 2849 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2012 06:59:27 PM »

I got  map-age! LOL! My boss was going to toss out a box of old maps but alas, I couldnt let them die! I want to do something with them but Im not sure what! I am planning on moving out soon and was thinking maybe something  for living room art? I am a photographer (which means I have a TON of photos). I was also thinking of trying to trade them for French maps (I got a French caf theme in my kitchen)

I have the fallowing:
Large paper:
Kansas, Missouri ,New England, Lakes region New Hampshire, New England, Official new England innkeepers map, Massachusetts, Lake superior, Marinette/ Menominee map, Cape cod, Minnesota highway map, A HUGE Louisiana map (with aswome artwork)

Smaller maps that are like coated:
Crivitz, Marinette, Green bay (All cities in Wisconsin), small tourism map Minnesota, waterfalls of Marinette
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
crafty_tech
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012 06:50:36 PM »

i bet you could do some really cool mod podge stuff with those. really you could decorate anything with them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunflower1128
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012 05:54:17 PM »

Maps (the uncoated) ones make nice envelopes. I especially like the #10 size.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012 07:03:41 AM »

I would suggest using them as part of a kitchen or coffee table.

like this:

But under a glass top so you can change them out when you want something new.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
CindyKayS
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012 02:07:00 AM »

The coated maps would make great placemats/table coverings.

You could cover part of a wall with a large map and faux frame it with paint or even a real wooden frame could be hung around it.  If you have enough maps you could paper a whole wall with them.

If you have kids, you can mod podge the maps onto cardboard & cut them with a jigsaw to make puzzles.

You can make dust jackets for books from paper, non-coated maps.  Great to cover an atlas, world history book, or travel journal.

Get really crafty and trace your route from home to France on the maps in a bright color and frame them individually in your kitchen.

Got an old dresser/cabinet with a finish you don't like?  Cover it with the non-coated maps - overlap them, turn some upside down - and then polyurethane over them for a finish.

Use the coated ones to make a book for a child.  Kids love maps, and the coated ones can be written on with a wax pencil or write on/wipe off pen.  Use them to reinforce math skills and geography with your child.

Those are all the ideas I can think of right now.  Have fun with them!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darkrose20
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012 08:22:31 AM »

Decoupage them onto cork board and make coasters. It's a project that has been in the back of my head for a while.  Maybe I'll get around to it...eventually...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThePenguinTheory
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012 04:20:44 AM »

I was going to say to put them on some cork board and make them into placemats and coasters...but i see that's been covered xD

You could also use them to cover notebooks, or maybe (if you have a wall the right size and maybe don't mind cutting some of them) just use them as wallpaper to create a feature wall.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cute and Quirky Handmade Items!

Etsy
Blog
Facebook
Pinterest
averageurbanite
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012 03:04:44 PM »

I was going to suggest a collage wall, too, if you don't mind cutting them up. I have big white cabinets in my kitchen, and it would be really cool to cover them with maps. You could also use them to line drawers or shelves with contact paper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012 11:56:38 PM »

we decoupaged a map of our island onto the floor, added a couple of coats of clear floor finish to protect.
My original plan was to cover the entire floor with maps from all over, but my husband preferred the single map.  It's his office, he got his way. Wink

Maps are also great for gift wrap. 

You might be able to use fusible web to attach the coated maps to fabric and upholster a chair seat--one that doesn't get used much.

or decoupage  onto the back or seat of a wood chair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violetbellerophon
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013 08:31:59 AM »

So glad I found this!  I have a huge bucket of maps that I need to use up... some are just too pretty to cut apart, but others would be great as coasters, book covers, shelf liners and all manner of things.  Now I know what next week's projects are going to be!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

saving my world one project at a time

http://pinterest.com/lolita226/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 1b
How to Apply Digital Makeup in Photoshop Part 1a
How to Remap Color in Photoshop
How To Create a Fake Tattoo
How to Use the Filter Bar in Lightroom 2
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...